M1 / Apple Silicon compatibility

Hi James I have an M1 Air with the 8th graphic core and zwift is the only app I have that generates heat. Infrared thermometer shows about 39 degrees at the hottest area when I’ve been riding for an hour or so. Doesn’t seem to get any hotter though despite the lack of fan. Is the pro fan coming on?

Can i ask what configuration do you use and what resolution are you getting?

M1 devices get High profile at up to 1440p resolution (both being one tier from maximum). High should get rider shadows but this was broken at some point and I’m unsure if it’s been fixed yet.

Still no shadow… :pleading_face:

1 Like

I rode only 25 minutes or so tonight but my 16" M1max hooked up to a tv and at 1440 and the high resolution that zwift picks for me, no fans

2 Likes

No, sorry. M1 iPads just use the same profile as other iPads. There’s a separate thread on this at Make use of the M1 processor on iPad Pros

Amazing thanks for the feedback.

i have some “temperature” issues with my apple m1 macbook pro.
zwift runs on my macbook pro with 1080p resolution. Since 5-6 weeks, my macbook get’s really hot when i touch it during the ride.

Has anyone the same probs on the macbook pro m1 ?

1 Like

Not even remotely close to this experience. Fans stay off and machine stays totally cool to the touch. I’m outputting to a large TV and have it plugged in and on the highest setting 1440, and edited high settings file to add extra detail where possible. Have you opened activity monitor to see what’s going on when you run zwift?

Ditto with a 16" MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 1440p to a 55" TV, High config file edited to match the Ultra file. Fans stay off, only 2+ a little bit Performance Cores active, fans either don’t or minimally run, don’t with a charger and just run on battery unless workout is over 1.5 hrs.

Here’s what my config looks like, am I missing anything?

res 1920x1080(0x)
sres 2048x2048
aniso 4
set gSSAO=1
set gFXAA=1
set gSimpleReflections=0
set gSunRays=1
set gHeadlight=1
set gFoliagePercent=2
set gLODBias=0

Only three of those lines are doing anything, and putting foliage to 200% is over and above Ultra so is likely to be damaging your frame rate and has the potential to make the game unstable (France has been known to crash on systems with a modified config file).

@Patrick_McNally - I just renamed my original high.txt config file “highorig.txt”, made a copy of the ultra.txt config file and renamed it “high.txt”. It contains the 1st 5 lines you have above but not the last 5. I think those are implicit in the high and ultra configs; other than the FoliagePercent that Dave mentioned.

The primary thing I notice missing on the M1 Pro Mac are bike shadows, which I got with Ultra on my older 2019 MacBook Pro with the Radeon 5500M graphics card. The new M1 Pro and Max notebooks outperform my older 2019 MacBook Pro, so there’s no reason the newer laptops shouldn’t be “granted” the Ultra profile that my older laptop received if Zwift will ever get around to it.

Those are meant to be present on High, it’s a bug I’m afraid.

yes, but i see no problems. macbook getting warm after 1hr of riding. can’t hear a fan, but it gets really warm…
All other software on my m1 runs perfect without getting my macbook warm

Its a bit frustrating that I have to buy and OLD PC and throw a graphics card into it if I want the best graphics instead of my state of the art brand new Mac products getting permission from Zwift to run ultra.

Is there any apatite for a higher graphics profile for M1 iPads. The M1 MacBook’s have high rather than the basic profile that all iPads have but i seen no reason that a high profile couldn’t be created for the M1 iPads?

Thanks mark

See Make use of the M1 processor on iPad Pros

2 Likes

Hello,

I own a brand new MBA M1 16GB 1TB 8C CPU 8C GPU. I also use KICKR, KICKR Climb and Headwind. What is the best graphic suggestion for Zwift, High or Ultra?
Does Zwift still run on Rosetta2 or native?

best regards

Randolf

It doesn’t run native yet on M1.