Issues with Elite zumo

Just to keep in the loop… I’ve had an email from Elite asking me to open up the casing and take a video of the motor when it powers up…

Looks to be moving and suitably greased…

I honestly think its something settings wise than mechanical

Hi all,
I’m beginning to think I may be in the same boat as some of you. Bought the Zumo from Halfords when lockdown started and I’ve had very low watts on Zwift. I am a newbie but have been cycling for a few years and use a Wattbike at the gym. I’ve emailed elite and came across this forum from someone that helped me on FB. How did it go when they sent you a new real map? Can you upload it to the trainer via the app?
I couldn’t even complete an FTP test on zwift and struggling to keep up with group rides at 105watts.
Normal FTP I thought was 170 but looking at the Wattbike app I can average around 214 for a 45min session. Zwift via Zumo have me at 89.

Yeah they got me to do this also.

Hi David,

I uploaded the new map using their upgrado application.

A good way to test your unit is to do the following.

Connect to the trainer via the Elite myEtraining app

Under training Mode, select level mode.

This mode works through resistance settings regardless of watts etc. Should start off easy at level 1 and progressively get harder with each level. Watch the reading of Watts, RPM, Speed etc to see if these make sense with what you feel / are doing. If this works, the mechanicals of the unit are probably working OK. This mode worked OK for me, though the Watt readings were way out.

Next select power mode

The mode will try and force a power output by varying the resistance. If it is a “map” issue like mine, the resistance to hit the required watts will be excessive. In my case I could not hit 100watts without it hitting max resistance. Aka “a spiral of death” where the power reading was too low so it increases resistance trying to increase my power output until it maxed out the resistance. Spiral of death is explained here All About Erg Mode in Zwift | Zwift Insider

Yea… next was the levels thing…

Still incredibly difficult to pedal… But level 1 I could forcibly pedal it, level 16 it was completely stuck… So at least that seems to be working.

By the odd chance… What is you circumference figure? Mine is currently stated 2070 - Just trying to work out if this could be something which is causing issues

Much appreciated the replies fella

David - Possibly silly question, but have you upgraded the firmware via the Upgrado app since you bought it? And have you done a calibration spindown?

Thanks for the help folks.
When I first got it home I checked the firmware was up to date, it was. Did it again last night just to be sure.
I tried to recalibrate via the elite app a few times then going onto Zwift to see if there had been any impact. Offset numbers I got from recalibration were as follows:
34990, 34941, 35283.
Circumference is at 2070 as well.

Managed to get up to a max wattage of 232 on a test run on Zwift.
It just feels like its reading at least 120-150w (or more) down on the effort.
On the elite app (level mode) it still seems to cycle through difficulty in line with level increase, just incredibly difficult. It did get frozen at 5w though even though I was in 50/11 and busting a gut.
I’ll have a go with the power mode later.

Have any of you tried a different method of connectivity? I’m currently set up with bluetooth through a windows 10 laptop. I have ordered an ANT+ dongle and extended USB cable to see if that makes a difference.

Spoke to Halfords this morning who will take it back but with everything that’s going on turbos are hard to get hold of.

Actually going to go out on a bike tonight rather than Zwift as it’s getting embarrassing!

Hi Snorre,
Not sure if you managed to get the spin down calibration to work via the elite app. If you’re still struggling: try turning off other Bluetooth devices. I found that my Apple Watch was affecting the connection when trying to run the calibration.

would you be able to email me the trainer mapping you got? might give it a go before returning to halfords in case it fixes the issue.

I am due to return it once they have stock of a different trainer (post lockdown I fear!) so may as well give this a go for now

Further update on where mine is currently going…

Opened up the Trainer to check the belt… The guy at Elite confirmed doing so wouldn’t void the Warranty. Belt is absolutely fantastic condition.

The Smaller Silver wheel inside turns with no issues at all and seems to be able to move the bigger wheel where the cassette goes. I just can’t rotate the bigger wheel at all.

The guy who was dealing with it has passed it onto the electronic office, so hopefully we get something from there.

@Chris_Holton - Please can you give me a shout if the trainer mapping fixes your issues

if someone is able to send me a file I am happy to give it a go

Hi Chris - I emailed my current map to Elite who have confirmed that something may be off with it. If she sends me a new one I’ll forward it to you and relay instructions.
NB - it’s taken me three days to get to this point so if anyone else has one (that works) to hand it may be a better shout for you.
On the Halfords stock point - I gave the store a call where I bought mine and he didn’t sound very optimistic re. stock. At this point I wouldn’t care having to chuck another £150 at it for something reliable!

thanks - I’m in the same place as you really - I have had 3 different elite trainers and not been happy with any of them - I am probably unlucky but not likely to be getting any of their products in the future

Hi Chris

Not sure the best way to send this to you, not sure if I want the file posted on the forum? or even if I can

I’m at this stage this morning as well…

They did ask for serial number… however I’m unsure which one they want…

The one on my manual differs to the one inside the machine…

Bodes well!

That sounds a bit shifty.

I’ve not opened the case of the unit to check but mine was on both the manual and on a sticker on the underside of the machine.

Looking at other (similar) threads on different elite turbos there seems to be another sticker with number that the spin down calibration should be close to.
Can’t see anything anywhere on the Zumo and mine are pretty inconsistent even after an extended warm up.

Can’t help but get the feeling that QA/QC is non existent with these machines and they have just pumped them out.
Originally thought that this may have been to cope with demand in light of recent events but mine shows a build date of September 19.

Will just try to be as pleasant as possible with them on communications with the hope that they get it sorted quickly!

Mine is also a September 2019 build date, I hadn’t actually noticed that under the machine when I put it together…

Fortunately the s/n under there is the same as on the manual… So at least there is that saving grace…

The number I found is a lot different to the 3 you posted further up. Unsure whether they may have used casing parts from older machines and recycled them on new builds to save cost/waste.

I don’t think it is mechanical at all… Just something corrupting within the data files it uses

I’ll keep you updated when they next come back to me…

I have sent you a message with my email address - if you could send the file there i’ll see if it helps

My mapping file is apparently correct… Asked me to look at the belt again…

They want me to post a video of the fly wheel rotation…

I’m assuming there is a manufacturers warranty? The wife bought it as a present bnib off ebay… so returning it to halfords doesnt look to be on the cards

That’s a pain.
2 year warranty according to Halfords website.
Did she buy it new? If so, you should still be protected under warranty. If there is no satisfactory outcome from elite I would contact eBay if the seller isn’t cooperating.