How do I increase my W (watts)

So I am riding fairly steadily at 29 kms per hour with a RPM of 77 but my W is only 77, how do I increase my watts…Tire size??

IMG_5295 (002)

What trainer do you use.

1 Like

https://forums.zwift.com/t/guide-to-getting-useful-support/425781

1 Like

Pedal harder.

5 Likes

Train.

To answer your next question, Google. Simple training techniques will give you huge gains initially.

After that, tailored training programs (TrainingPeaks, Zwift, etc) or hire a coach.

You can go 30km/h on 80W? Is that at a slight downhill?

Do you know from outdoor cycling that the W is too low for the perceived effort?

Nicklas…what is your trainer setup?

I have a Tacx Flux S (power source Stages L) and have no problems, just wondering about that power/speed combination

I think the watts look low for the indicated speed.
I assume you’re not going downhill in the example.
I note the cadence and watts are the same.
I’d say something is funky but you would have to post a description of your complete system and describe the behavior and how it worked previously.

I think the watt/cadence is just a coincidence since they come from different ANT+ profiles/sources. If the watts are way of based on perceived effort it probably is a setup problem with an on-wheel trainer

I use a hand cycle. How do I get my watts higher without literally pedaling my arms off?
My weight is accurate in my profile. I use a wahoo cadence & speed sensor. But I’m unable to get my watts to go above 30, not matter what I do. Is there some thing else I should be doing?

1 Like

Hi Cindi. Are you talking about training, or that there might be a problem with the trainer? Arms will struggle to match the watts from legs, of course, and I’m guessing not everyone gets to be Tatyana McFadden-levels of power :slight_smile: So even with a lot of training, you might still struggle to keep pace with cyclists using their legs. There was talk in another thread about an app that can give a wattage boost for adaptive athletes. I don’t know much about it, but from the thread I’m linking to it looks like @Otto_Destruct might know more.

1 Like

I have several friends (hand cyclists) that are hitting 100-150+ watts. So it must just be me and/or my setup.
I’m using an older model “classic” trainer (no Bluetooth/ANT+) I looked up what was actually needed to use Zwift, and from my understanding my Wahoo cadence sensor, Wahoo speed sensor & Wahoo heart rate monitor would be all that was necessary.

Would the speed sensor placement be the issue? I placed it on the front tire hub per directions from Wahoo. But wondering if it should be placed elsewhere to obtain a more accurate reading.

Thanks for responding. I truly appreciate it! :grinning:

1 Like

If you’re talking about the RPM sensors from the linked page, it doesn’t look like the Wahoo sensor is directional–meaning either way you strap it to the hub should be fine (logo facing front or back). It is a hub-mount though, so there really isn’t another place to put it. It works by revolving around as the wheel spins.

How tight are you cranking down the tension on the trainer against the wheel? Different trainer companies recommend different tensions, but IME typically it should be tightened so the wheel will slide just a little when you give it a hard tug–but not enough so that it slips around against the trainer flywheel when you’re pedaling. One thought is that if you’ve got it cranked down too tight, it’ll be very hard to turn the pedals–and the Wahoo sensors are judging your power by how fast your wheel and cranks turn, not how hard you’re pushing :slight_smile:

Another possibility is the trainer you’ve told Zwift you’re using. When you select the Wahoo Speed Sensor in the pairing screen, it should bring up a list of trainers. You should make sure you’re picking the right trainer from that list. Different trainers have different ‘power curves’, meaning it takes different wattage to spin them. If you’re telling Zwift you’re on a different trainer, that could cause issues too.

1 Like

What size is the wheel and is it set correctly in Zwift when you pair the speed sensor and trainer?

1 Like

650c wheel. I’m using my hand cycle, front tire mounted to the indoor trainer.

The indoor trainer I’m using is an older model- no Bluetooth/ANT+ (I had this trainer prior to my accident that keeps me from using a bicycle)

When I paired my sensor & trainer, I chose “unlisted model” since it is not on any of the trainer lists (tried using the “unlisted rollers”) and Zwift would not register ANY speed/watts/rpms.

Just looking to get workouts in daily, but knowing that I’m able to do 15+ mph outside on my Handcycle makes it frustrating that via Zwift it takes me 1hr it longer to get in just 2-3 miles.

This could be part of it, this means Zwift doesn’t know the power curve for your trainer and it could be very far off from the actual power you are generating based on speed of the wheel. Does Zwift give you the option to choose that tire size?

3 Likes

I’m using my hand cycle, front tire mounted to the indoor trainer.

The indoor trainer I’m using is an older model- no Bluetooth/ANT+ (I had this trainer prior to my accident that keeps me from using a bicycle) so it is minimum 13yrs old.

When I paired my sensor & trainer, I chose “unlisted model” since it is not on any of the trainer lists (tried using the “unlisted rollers”) and Zwift would not register ANY speed/watts/rpms whatsoever; not even the timer would move - basically sitting still even though I was moving like mad :crazy_face:

Just looking to get workouts in daily, no races etc, but knowing that I’m able to do 15+ mph outside on my Handcycle makes it frustrating that via Zwift it takes me 1hr or longer to get in just 2-3 miles. So when being asked for a meetup/group ride, I cannot keep up :pensive:

Again, thanks for responding!

One option might be to play around selecting different trainer models from the list until you (hopefully) find one that seems to be giving you an appropriate speed/wattage.

2 Likes

Yes, Zwift has a 650c option for tire size.

I’ll try different trainer settings, hoping this will at least give me somewhere in my “area” Of what I’m able to do when I’m actually outdoors.
(Fingers crossed!)

I did read on another forum to adjust my weight (to a ridiculous LOW lb) and then possibly it would register a truer watt output. But that feels like I’m cheating.

Thank you for your responses. I really appreciate all the help I can!