How can a heavier, taller rider, win by 5 mins with lower w/kg in a 50 min crit?

C Race - Crit

• Winner does 3.4 w/kg (right on the C limit) and finishes in 47:33
  • I do 3.6 w/kg and finish 5 minutes after the winner
  • I was in a group of 20, trading pulls, and surfing wheels. Most of the 20 DQed

I’ve raced for 25+ years in the real world NO WAY someone wins by this kind of margin putting out a lower w/kg unless they are drafting off the team car!

So what am I missing?

2 Likes

Because on a course that doesn’t involve big climbs, w/kg is irrelevant and raw watts are the important factor.

A heavier rider can do more watts at the same or lower w/kg as a lighter rider.

7 Likes

He was drafting the team car. In this case the ‘Team Car’ was the A/B pack, since it was a combined category start.

4 Likes

Maybe he is a cheater like a lot of winner…

1 Like

If someone is heavier and develop less wattkg…it is not possible he run faster

1 Like

The rider who won is 75 kgs, and I’m 67 kgs so I get the raw power argument, but isn’t this offset by the raw watts they have to crank out to stay with the As & Bs?

How does a C rider finish within 1-2 seconds of the winner of the A & B race?

Last, no doubt they benefited from drafting the As & Bs, but 10% faster?

:thinking:

For flat races it is definitely possible for C’s to hold onto the A/B pack especially if the A’s keep the power reasonably consistent.

I chopped up the results screen for your race. You can even see A’s and B’s who held onto the front pack using C power.

2 Likes

Thanks very much! I’m going to try a few hilly races and see what happens.

1 Like

The guy who won it should have been DQ as he is a B racer and putting out B power.

So is the OP but one query at a time…

3 Likes

The guy who won it should have been DQ as he is a B racer and putting out B power.

Except the winner was not a B at the time. The winning C was categorized as a C (well C ‘almost B’, but that is still C) when he started the race. He also only did 3.293 w/kg for 95% of 20 min, and this is less than 3.2 w/kg + the 0.1 w/kg buffer that are the current zwiftpower rules for WKG tags. Therefore his result stands. Of course, after this race his best 3 average 95% of 20 min power is now over 3.2 w/kg, so obviously if he starts another race in the C’s, he will get filtered by the UPG tag.

Maybe those should not be the rules for categories, but that is what they currently are.

6 Likes

Actually, as the OP, I was not a B racer when I signed up, but I am now! :laughing:

5 Likes

according to everyone i cross the line ahead of in a race i should be in A+ but that doesn’t mean i won’t be back in B in approximately a week… that’s how it goes

[quote=“Ned Bowen [DRAFT] :bow_and_arrow:, post:10, topic:583354, username:Edward_Bowen”]
He also only did 3.293 w/kg for 95% of 20 min, and this is less than 3.2 w/kg + the 0.1 w/kg buffer that are the current zwiftpower rules for WKG tags
[/quote]
numbers don’t seem right there as 75kg x 3.5 = 262.5w for 20 minutes so 95% of this is 249.38w = 3.33wkg

The 3.5 is rounded up from 3.46666 (260/75).