Help me find a compatible bike for Zwift Hub?

Something 2. hand with some Shimano Deore 2x9 or 3x9 could be worth looking at.

The x9 Shimano is quite strong and also easy to maintain.
Not much “bling bling effect” but it works and weight probably isn’t you main concern at this point.

BooX

Thanks for the detailed reply Paul!

A hybrid bike could be exactly what I am looking for. I want to be able to sit up right like a mountain bike as I have a groin injury and sitting upright on my spin bike allows me to cycle pain-free. If I were to lean over like a road bike, I think long term, it could just irritate the injury further.

In terms of bike maintenance, is there much difference between MTB and hybrid bikes?

Just indoors. I don’t plan to cycle outside at all.

Would there be less issues with a hybrid bike instead of a MTB bike setup with zwift?

The only issue I have with road bikes is seating position. I have a nerve groin injury and the more upright I sit, the less issues it gives me.

I’m not too fussed about weight to be honest. Just something that is comfortable and can allow me to pedal fast in zwift.

For indoor only others will give much better advice than I can offer but from what I have read on this forum:

1. Do you have a good bike shop nearby as
    a. You don’t need good wheels
    b. You don’t need breaks
    c. I believe race gears will give you a much better Zwift experience.

A good bike shop can probably fit you only what you need for indoors at a fraction of the cost. A bike shop will also help you with getting the correct size frame, seat and bars positioning to provide most comfortable fit. Good quality second hand, through the bike shop, might work well.

1. How long do you think you will ride indoors each session? Most people(not everyone) don’t ride for that long indoors so comfort might not be so important that you need MTB, Gravel or Hybrid bike.
1 Like

There are no significant differences.

I agree with @Ian_Attoe that you would benefit from making a trip to a bike shop where you can try out the bikes and get advice about the fit you need. That could help you avoid buying an unsuitable bike.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply Ian.

I’m not sure how long I will be spending on the bike but I will be replacing all my running with cycling. So maybe about 1 hour, four days a week? I’m not sure how long cycling sessions last as I am new to the sport.

Going to a bike shop and getting them to supply only the parts I need is a great idea! Especially if it can possibly reduce the cost! I’ll give that a go. Cheers Ian

Yeah the safest bet seems to be getting fitted by someone in-store.

Cheers for the help Paul!

1 Like

Something like a Trek FX or another flatbar bike could be what you want.

I did my early Zwift years on a Trek FX with 3x9… lot’s of gears for everything, upright seating position and I guess they can be found cheaply in most parts of the world.

You wont win any cat A races on it, but that’s probably not your goal anyway :blush:

Other brands have something similar too.

BooX

1 Like

A few more things to consider:

You have been a runner - were you competitive? If so you will want to be competitive on Zwift and that might well be more important than comfort.

You mention comfort. This is not just the bike saddle or geometry of the frame, you should also consider a really good pair of Cycling shorts or better still bib shorts. IMO don’t try and cycle without proper gear.

What shoes are you going to cycle in? Cycling shoes give better foot support and comfort. Whatever footwear you decide to use will dictate what pedals you need.

1 Like

If you don’t plan on riding outdoors, get a frame with the fewest moving parts.
I would steer clear of MTB and hybrid.
Hybrids still freq have front suspension fork and this will just bounce up and down and steal power from the wheels/trainer.
A flat bar road bike with bar ends is what I use.
My bar ends are triple wrapped with cork tape for padding and to increase the diameter for comfort.

2 Likes

This issue with the road though is my body position when seated on it.

I would prefer to be upright like when on a hybrid/MTB. Is that possible on road bikes with flat handlebars?

Era not really competitive.

However, what sort of bike would I need to be competitive in Zwift, if I wanted to go that route some day?

I’ll definitely be buying so cheap cycling gear too. But with the pedals I was thinking just flat pedals.

Indoors only: do not buy a mountain bike. I would even say don’t by a hybrid.

A “flat bar road bike” is an option but I would strongly suggest a drop-bar, endurance road bike.

Endurance road bikes have a more upright position than a pure racing (or TT) bike so they’ll be comfortable for long rides but will still help with more forward weight distribution and efficient pedalling versus a super upright hybrid or “cruiser.”

Giant Fastroad AR is a flat bar road bike. Trek Domane, Giant Contend AR, Specialized Roubaix would be drop-bar endurance road bikes. Don’t buy anything with a single front chainring as it’s too limiting for gear range - a 2x8 or better (2x9, 2x10, 2x11) is what you want.

The Triban RC120 would be an option if you’re on a budget: Road bike Triban RC 120 Disc Brake - Grey - Decathlon

The used market would be good value but you must absolutely know the size of bike you need and avoid buying one that doesn’t fit or you’ll end up so uncomfortable you won’t want to ride.

I would think straight bars is a lot better, most people don’t go in the drops on the trainer. Drop bar shifters is a lot more expensive than trigger shift components

3 Likes

Sure.
On the trainer, you don’t have to be light weight or aero.
You can raise your handle bars as high as you want and can get stems that also raise up.
Since wt doesn’t matter, you can buy inexpensive stems and play around.
I have a fairly extensive collection of cheap stems of different lengths and angles of rise.
I will experiment and when I find the position that I like, then I buy a quality stem.
My friends will call and ask to borrow whatever to see if it improves comfort.

Straight bar it is, I want to go as cheap as possible

Ah interesting. Are road bike in general cheaper or more expensive than hybrids? I’m on a very tight budget

That is a difficult question.
Kind of like “are trucks more expensive than cars”.
Some are.
I personally feel hybrids are a mistake.
They really don’t have the suspension for rough trails and anywhere you would ride a hybrid, a flat bar road bike with proper tires, would be much better.
The best “hybrid” solution is to get a flat bar road bike and 2 sets of wheels.
One with a smoother road like tire and one with a wider bumpy tire for gravel and smooth trails.
You can even try cyclocross or gravel rides with this.
Again, we are talking about going outside.
For a trainer only bike, sure, there are inexpensive options from used bikes or bicycles direct but you have to put together.
You just want to make sure the components are standard - SRAM or Shimano.
Many cheap bikes will have proprietary off sized components that prevent replacement or upgrade.