Graphics comparison - Apple TV or Alienware Alpha

(a rockpaper) #1

Hello,

I am trying to decide on the best way to go: buy an Apple TV or Alienware Alpha

I understand that the Apple TV is not supported yet but it will be. I also believe the GPU ill be the same as an iPhone 6 Plus.

Will I see much of a difference between the two on a 1920 x 1080 monitor?

the alienware alpha has

CPU = i3

GPU = AMD Radeon™ R9 M470X GPU with 2 GB GDDR5

There is another model up from that with i5 and NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 960 graphics with 4GB GDDR5

thanks for any input.

rockpaper

(Oliver Higbee (B) [WKG]) #2

Hi Rockpaper,

You will see a huge difference between a device with an integrated GPU vs separate. Here is a benchmark site you will find useful;

https://zwiftalizer.com/benchmarks 

IMO Alienware is very overpriced, even the GTX960 is a budget gaming GPU and a discontinued one at that (1060 is the latest in that product line).

Regards,

Olly

(a rockpaper) #3

Thanks, Olly

I checked out the benchmarks- I was hoping it would have a search function so i could find something similar but it’s just good that someone has set it up.

I’m not sure why but i thought the 960 was an onboard GPU (really no idea why since my office PC has a GTX 660)

The alienware is nicely packaged up and i have less interest these days in building up a PC, which is the reason I was looking at it.

maybe i’ll just have another look around at some other options.

I’m not sure why but i thought that Zwift would look pretty much the same for everyone rather than scale the graphics like any other game. 

cheers!

(Eric Schlange [ODZ]) #4

Alienware will look much better!

(a rockpaper) #5

Thanks, Eric.
I’m now looking at building a small form factor of with a slightly better graphics card. Still the Alienware boxes are hard to beat for size.