Getting a spin bike - where do I start?

To me how big of a problem it really is kind of depends on what you want from Zwift. I’m a minimalist. I use Zwift as exercise. I used to take spin classes until Covid closed my gym. After months of hoping she’d be able to open again, she announced she’s closed permanently. When researching a spin bike I realized I’d prefer something like Zwift vs online Peloton (or similar) classes. I get on, choose a route, and ride. I don’t plan to race and it’s unlikely I’d even do a group ride. My goals are to improve over time. So all my stats are relative to what they were before and not at all important how they compare to someone else. So if my wattage is a bit low or a bit high - doesn’t really matter as long as it’s consistent so I can track progress. I’m sure purists would shutter at that thought but that’s how I look at it. Now if I was planning on racing, then it would be important for my watts to be as accurate as possible since it affects others if the watts are too high and would make it difficult to keep up if my watts were too low. Take all of this for what it’s worth. I’m new to it all but this is what I’m finding for myself.

1 Like

That’s really helpful, thanks Heather and yes, I suppose the extent of the problem depends on the type of user you are. I’m also in my 50s & just trying to look after us all - lovely & now v anxious & inactive son who used to love cycling with his dad, husband who might or might not manage a bit on the bike to try to maximise his 2nd round of chemo (some good research on exercise enhancing chemo). Might even get 18 Yr old daughter on occasionally & me. Will call the co. that sell the Schwinn tomorrow & see what they say. Thanks so much again

1 Like

I can’t stress enough that those Schwinn bikes will be a waste of your money for what you could get otherwise in a smart bike for multiple people or a really good smart trainer with 3 cheap real bikes. Especially if you are looking for a setup that is engaging when using Zwift or other cycling training apps that make use of ERG mode and dynamic responses when just riding around.

1 Like

Ahhh! Well I think that that’s the watt bike which isn’t avail until May (want it earlier for the chemo effort), or the wahoo kickr - could just about cope with tbe expense but it’s clearly for the super experts. Or think the tacx?

I wouldn’t get a watt bike either.

What would you get Fez? (with same criteria)

Agreed! The experience from a spin bike doesnt begin to compare to how immersed a good smart trainer or dedicated smart bike will be. Also, those apps that translate your HR into power are basically a random number generator (not even a question of relative accuracy) and will certainly water down the “Zwift experience”…

2 Likes

OK extremely kind advisers - have put in an order on a stages sb20 - as recommended by Chris but now know that’s what I’m after from all of your advice. And Heather, I’m sure we would have got on fine with a spin bike but with little chance of holiday even with lock down easing, thought the fun of something more responsive would be a fair use of funds. And with 3-4 of us using it, should make it worthwhile. Fingers crossed its only the 4 week wait advertised. Thanks again all :grin:

1 Like

That’s fantastic!! I hope you love it. And wishing your husband all the best with his chemo.

Here is an in depth review of your chosen device to help you set it up. Stages Bike (SB20) In-Depth Review | DC Rainmaker

In case anyone else still considering spin bikes, I’ve been helping test SmartSpin2k, an open source project, to add smart controller function. The idea is to approximate smart bike functionality at lower price points.

One of the collaborators has an IC4, which as described earlier broadcasts data in FTMS protocol; as does my Lifespan Fitness SM-400.

We can always use more testers/contributors!

1 Like

Thanks do much Heather - it’s an exercise in hope and living in the day :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thanks Fez, I had seen this - that is alot of info :hugs:

I’ve been Zwifting using an Echelon Connect Sport and would be interested in the SmartSpin2k testing. Can you provide more details on that?

Just a general thought:

As someone who had a limited price point - the smart bikes are fairly hefty in cost. Spin bikes may not be ideal, but you can get a decent Echelon for about 1/4th the cost of a smart trainer it seems. Maybe I’m wrong (and if I am, please tell me) - but just something to consider. For me, the spin bike was the route to go because of it’s exercise functionality (I was looking at Peloton digital classes), adjustability, the ability to use it on Zwift with the right app setup, and almost as important as the rest: affordability. $500 vs $1k - $2k is a big difference!

A Wahoo Kickr Snap is $499.99 if you already have a bike that you can use on it.

Good to know - thanks for sharing! I’ll have to keep that in mind. Eventually I’d like to get a real bike. When I do, it’d be nice to upgrade my Zwift experience.

Hi everyone. I’ve been on Zwift since the summer, but this is my first response here. I have power pedals on a good exercise bike, and I love Zwift. It’s true that it doesn’t automatically increase resistance on hills, but it DOES automatically make you go slower in the game, if you’re putting the same power into the pedals, compared to if it’s flat. So you very likely will want to up the resistance to up the power on the hills, so you’re not moving at a snails pace.

pre-covid, I rode a game bike called Expresso at the gym and it did automatically change the resistance, for up or down hills, then you had to “shift” like you would on a real outdoor bike. But I found it annoying that every few seconds I had to shift - either shift down to be able to go up a hill, or shift up on a downhill so that I had some resistance and it wasn’t too easy. So I kind of like that I don’t have to keep changing the resistance. I can if I want but I don’t have to.

One advantage to an exercise bike vs. a real bike on a trainer is that it can be adjusted for different sized family members who might use it. And exercise bike also tends to be quieter, and if it’s warm enough for outdoor riding and you’re doing both, you don’t have to keep bringing your bike in and out, on and off the trainer.

You can order a pre-assembled kit; a DIY instructable is also up.

try taking one foot off with only only the other foot.
now you’ll see why clips are useful :wink: