Garmin 945

I’m trying to use my 945 on my treadmill using zwift. Using the virtual run but it won’t sync right. It has me doing speed of 14 when I’m only on speed of 6. I tried unpairing but it keeps doing the same thing. It worked fine the first time but now this. Please help…thanks

Hello Tom! You have to calibrate the watch! When you’re in the pair screen, check the gear icon next to the speed device. Zwift will ask you to put a speed, let’s say 13 kph, and it will ask you to run 40 seconds at that speed, then 40 seconds at a lower speed, and finally 40 seconds at a higher speed.
Still, keep in mind that using a watch might not be the best mode to measure your speed. I’m not sure why they use 3 speeds only, I’m wondering… calibrating every speed you want won’t be better? (for example, my treadmill goes from 1 to 16 kph, and my arm swing is different at each speed, so why not using all that data instead of just 3 for a better calibration?).

Edit: here’s an official post about how to use the virtual run mode Zwift How-To: Using the New Garmin Virtual Run Profile | Zwift

I did try calibrating but it kept giving me an error. Maybe it was a bad connection, I’ll try again. Thanks for the help.

Oh, right.
Yes, you’re correct. Zwift calibration with slow speed gives an error.
I think they didn’t gave enough support to that feature, looks like it need some polish

I was running into the same issue and discovered how to resolve it. The trick is that you need to calibrate the watch itself for treadmill running and this has absolutely nothing to do with zwift. What I did was go to my local gym and ran for a long enough time that the watch registered over one mile. At that point, when I was able to save it, it asked me if I wanted to calibrate it and I said it to the correct amount. I then went home and ran on my treadmill which has questionable speed measurements and had this with app open and it ran at the pace that I expected it to within an acceptable margin of error.

It learning your stride length while running outside doesn’t apparently have the same impact as a few runs with specific calibrations.

1 Like