Game Update - May 28th, 2020

Thanks for the update.
Just did a group ride, and it seems rubber banding in “keep everyone together” mode is broken … We had fragmented groups with large gaps, breakaways, and then people just dissipated into individual rides, while still showing in green (as part of the meetup).

11 Likes

Some split, some don’t, I have worked for both. However, it should be obvious that I’m referring specifically to people responsible for support.

2 Likes

My life has been a living H_E_L_L, being forced to start the game again, in order to change my sock color.

Strong contender for whine of 2020. An excellent vintage.

2 Likes

When will update be out in europe please

Thank you. Probably I am not mature enough, but many times certain route being selected to complete and during the ride I have been offered turn selection. I did select route I want to complete and not familiar with the terrain and area. How it possible to solve it? Route selected => no turns choice during the workout.

1 Like

The issue for many of us is that Zwift has significant resources and does not appear to be dedicating enough of them to game development. I like well-designed software, and Zwift is the opposite of that… it’s tied (with Fender Fuse) for the worst-designed piece of software I’ve seen since I became a developer in the early 90s. There are commonsense bug and feature requests that have been outstanding for years and show no sign of being addressed. On one hand, I am deriving more value from Zwift than I pay, but on the other hand, my expectations for what a software company in 2020 could do with the resources that Zwift has are very much not being met, and it’s becoming annoying, and making me wonder if Zwift still deserves my money.

11 Likes

IMHO Zwift shows all the signs of an app that needs to be redesigned and implemented from the ground up. One sign of a bad app is a big bug list of trivial looking “fixes” that seem like they should be easy (lifetime personal bests! Start a ride without restarting the game!), but they remain unfixed for years because they are a consequence of poor software design choices and are thus very hard to fix.

As I understand it, Zwift uses a homegrown graphics engine. You will ALWAYS have trouble hiring developers to work on that because touching that stuff is career suicide. No other employer will care about your experience working on something that’s only used by one company… employers want to see industry standard stuff on your resume so that you can actually help them.

19 Likes

I had to restart the update process and it went fine the second time, the issue was that it took forever without giving the appearance the update had failed, long enough for me to miss my pre-scheduled ride. My laptop was otherwise working fine and with a good Internet connection, so not sure why it failed, but not an issue the second time. Just asking if the updates can happen on exit of app instead of on startup, or as a background process that completes when the app is shut or to provide an option to skip the update so that way people don’t miss their ride when problems arise with the update.

The daft thing is you have to pick a route before you can even look at the routes you have/haven’t done!

6 Likes

When will update be available in europe

Done that. Shame they refuse to acknowledge it, especially as its one of the most popular requests…

3 Likes

Hi @Alex_Lipnitskiy, regardless of what route you choose from the main menu, you will always have the option to turn at intersections. If you want to remain on the route you selected simply ignore the turn signs, Zwift will automatically put you on the correct route. Should you decide mid way through that you want to turn and go somewhere else, you always have the option.

1 Like

Totally agree. They’ve openly said they’ve struggled to complete for programmers, it doesn’t take much reading between the lines to realise why. Same goes for the theme running through the infamous Glassdoor comments. In my industry almost every major company uses the same core software for estimating, planning, progress tracking and cost/sales/value analysis. A job opportunity where they used their own custom software - based around principles the industry left behind many years prior - would be very unattractive to me.

5 Likes

Thank you Paul, this will be very useful!

A post was split to a new topic: “Keep Together” broken in Meetups [v 1.0.50775]

Same issue here

1 Like

Are they infamous? Any anonymous comments from dissatisfied employees on a website must be taken with a huge pinch of salt, whether it be Zwift or anywhere else. We all know happy customers/employees tend not to post anywhere near as much as unhappy ones.

This forum being a prime example.

We spend around £4/week to use Zwift. Of course there are faults, frustrating delays and so on, But come on, lets have some perspective.

1 Like

For a game that’s very much premium money, which is the whole argument.

2 Likes

Depends how you see Zwift, Dave. I dont see it as a game primarily but more like gym membership. I don’t really understand how people (not necessarily you) with £1000+ bikes, £600 smart trainers and so on, think £15 a month is a lot. I think it’s cheap.

4 Likes

Yes, it is so easy to forget the recent challenges and the continued reliable experience Zwift provides for so many people. Thank you for helping lockdown!
Anything else is icing on the cake at the moment!
Thank you

2 Likes