Game performance on Makuri Islands

My rig, Tempus Fugit spawn point (capped at 95fps):

970 system - small section as part of a much longer test (capped at 60fps):

Ah, so the chances are your overclock was either preventing a higher single thread boost, or the voltage wasn’t high enough etc to actually get the benefit from the OC in Zwift. Still looks low to me, so I’d go back to BIOS defaults (or remove Ryzen Master, if you’re using that) and potentially update the BIOS too. Also, make sure the XMP profile is enabled on your RAM, again in BIOS.

May be the voltage, on my x470 board it goes to 1.47v if left on auto, and i absolutely don’t trust that this won’t kill my cpu.
It’s still a bit low, i agree, but i’ve got a lot of programs loaded by default, rgb-stuff, steam, bitdefender, msi afterburner, discord, what not. also using a two 4k monitors so it has some strain on the system aswell as the CPU being restricted by a manual voltage profile.

I will try to give it a tad more, but as you have a CPU with the potential for a 4.5ghz boost clock, my 4.1 could potentially be what is giving me a lower score.

Yeah but as shown with the Xeon result above, in a solo ride only a completely rubbish CPU would ever hold back the GPU - which is why Neokyo is so poor, because it requires a massively better CPU! So even being at ‘only’ 4.1GHz on your 3600 shouldn’t prevent the GPU being able to work much harder in Watopia. I suspect it’s actively restricting your 2070S at present, so there’s still something not quite right.

Yup, something was definately wrong…
So i got to borrow a 5800x from a friend to test if it made a difference, and the difference was evident right away.

Zwift ran much smoother, and the stuttering seem to have gone away.
I got 100fps average in 4k.
I’m just ordering one now, bechause my CPU must have degraded from a constant OC with fixed voltage over a long time.

This one boosts to 4.8 and i am seeing one thread actually pinned at 100% now.

There goes to self-budget this winter. :slight_smile:
Anyone want a Ryzen paper weight?

RIP 60fps, it was nice knowing ya.

Is there any reason why a lower powered set up wouldn’t notice any difference on Makuri compared to others?

I have a pretty old 6th gen i5 processor, 16gb ram just using internal graphics and all worlds seem to perform the same. My expectations may be lower than others but it seems to run pretty smooth without any noticeable stutter. The sunrays sometimes strobe but that is mainly on Watopia.

If you’re on integrated graphics, you’re already on the limit of what your system can achieve. It can’t noticeably get any worse. :wink:

1 Like

that was what I thought but if it is at 30fps would I notice it being bad? (I don’t do any gaming or anything so likely have very low expectations)

it looks pretty smooth to me and I don’t notice it stuttering at all.

60fps is massively smoother than 30fps, which is why it’s long been considered the standard for PC gaming and why consoles are starting to use it as a selling point. Not only that, it matches the refresh rate of almost all TVs and a huge proportion of monitors. Dropping below 60fps on a fixed refresh rate 60Hz display introduces repeated frames, which causes stutter. Some people are more sensitive to it than others. At a fixed 30fps it’s not as noticeable since it’s a clean 2:1 ratio with every frame constantly repeated twice.

The point is not really whether say 50fps is ‘good enough’ - I’m sure many would argue it is - more that Makuri represents an outrageous uplift in hardware requirements to maintain the same results as virtually everywhere else in the game.

1 Like

That makes sense.

I spent the early part of my zwift life using a no brand windows tablet with a dodgy processor and 4gb ram so i think i just have pretty low standards generally :joy:

I also like to see what the worst thing I can get to run zwift is, usually dodgy android tablets/phones.

I can see how if you spend a lot of time/money on setting something up and then having sub-par performance it’d be very infuriating though.

2 Likes

That’s the thing though, it doesn’t actually cost a lot of money to get a fantastic 60fps experience in Zwift, with the highest tier of detail. Generally around the same cost as a new Apple TV, for example. Less if you get the right deals.

Until Makuri Islands came along. Now it requires a £700 PC, minimum. Assuming you can even get the parts.

3 Likes

Yup, i notice changes if FPS really well, as i’m used to gaming at or close to 144fps.
Going back to 60 fps feels horrible the first 30 minutes until my brain gets used to it, and dipping below 60 really feels like a slide show.

I did the neokyo stage one badge now, 550 people, stable 45fps, it’s tollerable but pretty silly that it’s that low.
I hope they optimize it some how, the makuri map looks really good and i want to enjoy it!

And fas for the parts you can’t get right now… i assume there will be a flood of rtx 20 and 30 series aswell as some high end AMD cards around mid 2022 when the next generation cards go into full production.
I’m crossing my fingers for all of us, i need me a 3080 for other reasons than zwift.

1 Like

This with the 5800X?

Here are my numbers:

Some of you might want to monitor your temps and see if your performance is suffering because of dust, old paste, or a poorly designed case. Driver, hardware, and OS issues could also cause a problem too.

I wouldn’t put to much into CPU or GPU utilization. For one the threads that are running are constantly shuffling to various cores and the software may not utilize certain functions of the processor.

Those numbers are terrible, though.

2 Likes

A 1660 Super running an average 60fps @ 4k is fine.

It’d be 100fps on every other world. And you’re below 60fps for a lot of that time, the average is skewed upwards by the high bits at the start and middle. I don’t think it’s fine at all.

1 Like

As posted in another thread, here are same more numbers. Windows with 21.8.2 drivers because anything newer will randomly crash Zwift:

Absolutely awful IMO. AMD cards aren’t great for Zwift anyway, but a system of that tier only managing 30-40fps - not even on the highest resolution - is pitiful.

By way of comparison, a GTX 1050 can hold 60fps in most places on every other world, on the same settings:

This is how much you’re being robbed.

3 Likes