Game performance on Makuri Islands

This may be the worst performance to cost ratio I’ve seen yet! Ouch.

I’m usually doing workouts while watching TV so it doesnt bother me too much und the card is set to its silent BIOS, but yeah, the performance is abysmal.

1 Like

This race was… ‘fun’. With all the twists and turns, added to this behaviour at 60fps, I felt like I was undergoing some sort of astronaut training. With a pack of circa 15 others for most of this, so nowhere near the typical huge group ride that can produce this kind of result with hundreds around you.

PS: spot the difference on London, despite there being tons of riders at the spawn point.

1 Like

This is to an external 4k 60hz monitor from today. But still, this is pretty bad. Just one or two other riders for most of the ride.

1 Like

Here’s a race tonight on Watopia. Same rig, similar numbers in the bunch I was with throughout (if not more). The race started at 8.17pm, which is where the low of 83fps occurred.

Obviously far more consistent (95fps is the cap at my monitor’s refresh rate) and effectively 50% better performance on average. Ridiculous.

Did a bit of GPU load testing tonight. TL;DR, when the CPU bottleneck is eliminated/not a factor, an RTX 2060 Super isn’t strong enough for a consistent 60fps on Yumezi.

2 Likes

I just dropped $1400 on a new PC, and I still can’t quite get 60 fps (P1) on Makuri. But, of course, you already told me so. I just wanted to confirm that you were right.

:cry:

How much of that was on Neokyo? I suspect not a great deal.

That was Neon Flats, 100% in Neokyo.

1 Like

My mistake. Not bad then in fairness. I mean, it’s still shambolic considering your hardware - it’d be miles over 100fps average in a solo ride everywhere else. But could be worse. :confused:

Edit: Neon Flats makes sense. Those peaks pushing the average up are probably the bits in the park. It’s not quite so CPU bound there.

This weekend updated from a 3600XT with a GTX 1070 to a 5600X with a 3070 OC.
Im hoping to see improvements tonight at Makuri and with the Jungle dust.

You’ll see a big jump up in frame rates on Neokyo in particular, but it’ll still drop below 60fps in some busy spots or in events. The graphics card won’t actually help much I’m afraid, your 1070 was already plenty strong enough for all but the most dense areas of foliage.

Wow just wow, even with this gpu some big dips tonight. Whats next?

mind boggling. your 3070 gets 55fps avg, my 1660 gets 40fps avg. seems like they should use some of those idle CPU cores…

As I said, it’s not the GPU which is struggling. It’s probably down at something daft like 40% utilisation. Makuri is massively CPU limited for no apparent reason, and even your new 5600X can’t feed the 3070 fast enough to maintain 60fps. You’d have those same lows if you swapped your 1070 back in, or bought a 3090. CPU is the problem when it’s busy with other riders nearby. It’s like this everywhere on Zwift, but Makuri is particularly bad, hence why this thread exists.

2 Likes

Bump. 12th gen Intel (highest IPC money can buy) still nowhere near fast enough to overcome the 30-40fps performance hit on Makuri versus every other world and hold 60fps consistently.

Is anything at all being done to optimise it? Or is the policy ‘tough ■■■■, we’re fine with one of our worlds being massively different [worse] than the rest?’.

Usual disclaimer: it’s not the graphics.

9 Likes

Seems like a lot of riders are on the map which you can’t se, but there here and have to be calculated. I’m also experiencing this, it’s really annoying.

It’s the same offline, and that’s the point really. It’s like being in a big group ride all the time. Adding the actual riders on top of that hammers the CPU even more, to a ridiculous degree.

See here: Game performance on Makuri Islands - #49 by Dave_ZPCMR

1 Like

This was this morning on the BMTR ride in Twilight Harbor in Neokyo.

It wasn’t bad visually and I was riding hard enough that I didn’t really see less than optimal performance (other than my own). I was with 100 plus riders for most of the ride.

I’m not sure what could be done to make it better. The system is a Zwift only computer/monitor. I totally lucked out when I bought this stuff on eBay in about April of '20. Thank you Dave!

1 Like

I was considering upgrading my 8yr old desktop that I built back in 2016, currently running a i5-6600 and a RX470, but seeing this thread is kind of disappointing. I only use that PC for Zwifting and had considered going a RTX3060 but it clearly isnt going to have much impact on Neokyo.