FutureWorks: Steering Phase 2

When you’re trying to buy a Sterzo Smart and the only UK retailer (as far as I can tell) suggests you move house. :smiley:

3 Likes

It’s currently cheaper from Zwift direct anyway. :+1:

Not according to what I could see. I put one in my cart earlier and it said $110, which is about £84. And that didn’t even have shipping on. I’ll go back and try again.

Change to UK at the top right first, then go to the UK store. It was showing up at £69.99 last night and shipping was free.

1 Like

Yeah, I had gone to the UK store. And I’m in the UK on my profile. Anyway, ordered for £70 now, thanks! :smiley:

\o/ Let’s do this!

Very interesting and DC Rainmakers video is definitely worth a watch for first impressions…

As a Smartbike user, I guess I will have to be patient to try this out but I’ll be keeping an eye out for ‘Sterzo’ers’ when racing :wink:

Would you be able to provide an indication of the smartbikes you have been working with to develop and integrate this feature? (Wattbike Atom hopefully?) :crossed_fingers:

I also echo the comments of the future development of some separate steering button hardware that will allow those with Kickr Climbs and other smart bikes to use this feature it they wanted to.

This is a great development as it is a key step to making racing less of an all out time-trial and more tactical. Couple of queries from me (I appreciate this is FutureWorks and will develop over time)

• As smart bike buttons will be supported in the future, I guess it will be super cheap and easy to produce an add-on for handlebars with simple buttons? The value in steering is having enough people use it…

• As above, it could just be enabled using keyboard buttons? Not necessarily easy to reach, but gives you lots of options - basically any piece of hardware could then manage steering via a macro

• Will draft mechanics also be altered when steering is enabled? At the moment the draft is a little all over the place. Due to the way rider position is managed, sometimes you can be in full draft when you are at the front of a pack. The draft is also too weak so there is not a great deal of energy saved behind a rider - at least not enough to slow the pack right down as tactics play out

• Cornering and descending - will these both still happen at full speed, or will riders be slowed in to corners? Not so much of a problem on the flat, but when descending and a pack of 80 goes round a hairpin at 80km/h it’s a little crazy and nullifies any individual breakaways over the top of climbs. It would be great if you could attack over a climb, and then nail your cornering on the descent to get even further from a pack, that are having to negotiate the corners.

3 Likes

any one used with a kinetic rock and roll where bike side to side ( inc front wheel) are part of the USP, can you lean to turn corners?

@Richard_Giles
I’m told that the Sterzo Smart are on the water, and will be available in Australia and New Zealand late September ETA.

EDITED FOR CLARITY: Australia / NZ, South Africa and Japan are places where Elite is making this available in the first wave of their product launch, but through their usual wholesale and retail network, not through the Zwift Shop.

1 Like

Is it true that the Elite Sterzo is the only such device that’s going to be available until April 2021 due to an exclusivity arrangement?

I don’t know about timeframes, but this Elite page suggests intended exclusivity. For now at least.

In partnership with Zwift , Elite released STERZO SMART exclusively for the users of the Zwift community.

https://www.elite-it.com/en/products/home-trainers/trainers-accessories/sterzo-smart

1 Like

It’s basically been confirmed by a competitor:

1 Like

I understand that ghosting through other riders is disabled when steering is enabled. It stands to reason, then, that sticky-draft is also disabled when steering is enabled, but I don’t see that point explicitly made. Will sticky-draft be disabled when steering is enabled?

2 Likes

Super interesting! Know I’m in a minority here in that I use smart rollers. An accessory on the bars, if not my phone, would be optimal.

1 Like

Keyboard input for steering would be great. Any sort of wireless keyboard could then be used to steer. But I guess a cheap simple solution would be unlikely if Zwift is making exclusivity deals with companies like Elite.

Awesome, thanks for the info. I’ll start hunting.

I’m looking forward to receive my sterzo smart next week…
I think it would be great for racing and also to be free from"sticky draft" even when freeriding

Great update imo
Cheers

1 Like

Where is this “accessories widget”? I’ve just bought the Sterzo and can’t get it connected and don’t appear to have the accessories widget???

Sounds like you have the basic Sterzo not the smart one.

2 Likes

Thanks how does the Smart one ad options in the software?