FTP too low?

Hi All,

I have been using zwift for a few rides before doing my FTP test yesterday. My ‘automatic’ FTP before the test was 230W, after the test it is 201W. When doing the test, I was pretty tired and legs were stiff going into it.

This morning I did an escalation workout based on my new FTP. Whilst I worked up a sweat I came out feeling like I still had loads left in the tank, like I only operated at around 70% capacity.

Do you think my FTP may have been tested too low and I should rerun the test when I am more prepared?

Any info would be great. thanks

You should do an FTP when you are well rested and then give it everything you have

OK thanks, thats probably the issue. I’ll prepare better next time

You’ll also find that the first few FTP tests get progressively better as you learn how to pace an FTP test.

Thanks, I think this is where I went wrong. I didn’t know what to expect from the test; when to hold back and when to max out. I will do another one soon, hopefully get more accurate results

Do the ramp test instead. For most, albeit not for all, a good ramp test and a good 20 min ftp test give the same result. Doing a good FTP test, however, takes a lot of practice and knowledge of your capacity, how to pace your effort for you to last 20 min, no more no less, both physically and mentally. In a ramp test you just go until your legs can’t pedal anymore and it’s shorter and less of a mental game.

1 Like

Ok I did my first FTP test last night Avg 127, I was sitting between 127 to 134 and the last 5 mins hit 170 on my indoor bike. I used a cadence sensor as well my bike has build in blue tooth speed,rpm,cadance etc and all show the same results. My VOX max is 50 and I do Ironmans so I’m fit ! I paced my FTP last night then gave it about 80% at the end. My heart rate was 143 hitting 152 at the end. Did I push hard enough for that score 127 avg ?? seems not. I go to OTF gyms alot and used there bikes after a 30 min treadmill and I’m hitting 290 max 310 watts. So WHT is going on. Any ideas thanks

Please say more about the equipment. Which bikes or trainers have you used - how is power being measured? There is a lot of inaccurate equipment out there and readings may be either high or low. Comparing to a power meter outdoors can help a lot. Heart rate doesn’t say much but you probably know your body best in terms of what’s a real effort.

1 Like

Thanks Paul. I just brought the Garman power meter pedals so going to put them on my Tri bike and setup go for a couple of rides review the data then set them up on my indoor bike. I’ll also use a Garman cadance and speed meter to check against the bike equipment. I don’t trust the indoor bike at all. Thanks for the heads up I’ll up date in a few weeks then