FTP Route

Would be great if a dedicated “flat” route was available when the FTP test is chosen.  This would provide a perfect scenario for establishing and testing ones FTP.  Having rolling hills skews the FTP test since it makes it extremely hard to maintain a max effort when descending a hill. 

Thanks 

The trainer does not follow the route profile when you are in workout mode. power stay constant at the set level. I haven’t done a FTP test my self but I would assume that for the FTP section of the workout there is no change in resistance from the trainer. 

The speed on the screen change according to the road profile  but that should not make a difference.

All three “worlds” have “flat” sections, just select one of those before you start your workout. 

I believe I read somewhere that the FTP is simulating a 2 or 3% grade for resistance. Hills, downhills, etc. have zero effect on the FTP test.

I believe I read somewhere that the FTP is simulating a 2 or 3% grade for resistance. Hills, downhills, etc. have zero effect on the FTP test.

Hi!

Grade changes have zero effect on the FTP test, so you’re good on that front! 

@Zwift Team:
I think that we as a cycling community still would appreciate a perfectly flat loop, even if it is only a few km, so that we can do any FTP test as prescribed by our respective coaches.

I performed an FTP test this morning following my coach’ warm-up guidance, he basically shot down the result as my Wattage was all over the place due to the varying gradients (despite using Richmon Flat Route).

@Zwifters: please kudu this plentiful so that we gain momentum on this.

Cheers, Titanicman

1 Like

Hi Jeroen. 

Why don’t you just create a free ride workout, you can use the resistance buttons on the app to set the resistance and you can change gears to keep at specific power zones. That will give you an infinite long road at the grade you want it.

1 Like

Hi Gerrie,

Yes the fact that during the 20 min free-ride I need to change gear to keep my power kind of constant due to steepness variations is exactly the point. 

For the best result I need Free Ride where power remains constant at same gear and cadence.

Cheers Titanicman

A free ride section in workout mode has constant resistance, it does not change as the road goes up or down.

1 Like