Exploit found which can lead cheating

Smoking gun :gun:

4 Likes

Thats literally all that was needed. A 5 min read of the situation and applying some common sense. Well done.

Now can you send your PR guy on a course, and give @xflintx and @shooj some support. There are a thousand things you could improve in the racing scene just as easily, and this community, as you have i hope noticed through this, can basically be a free marketing team for you. I bet the numbers of people joining zwift and also staying because of some of the guys here is in the thousands!!

6 Likes

I want 10% commission on all bounties! The program is the result of my sacrifice hahaha!

16 Likes

Was tough. But worth it.

3 Likes

So, you were the example we found on ZP from Jan 21 right?
You reached through the WordPress post.
You are the main reason why we posted understanding it was way due :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Everything about this response is on point.
It’s a shame a CEO had to step in, indicative of deeply rooted culture issues.

4 Likes

You raised a ticket a year ago? Didn’t they say to DC Rainmaker that

This claim is something that is currently being investigated however, the only known ticket relating to this bug at this time is the one raised a few days ago.

Hmm

And while I appreciate most of Eric’s statement, this bit

it is clear to me that this situation could have been better handled by both parties

grates slightly - it cheapens the apology by blaming the other guy (even if they are blameworth, which is debatable).

4 Likes

This is exactly what I was worried about. To date, we didn’t have solid confirmation from someone that they personally submitted a bug report to Zwift. We had hearsay. This isn’t a legal proceeding, so we don’t have to adhere to legal rules of evidence. But it wasn’t solid evidence that Zwift knew.

If Zwift didn’t know internally about this exploit, they need to ask themselves how come they did not know. Something could be getting lost between the customer service and the developers. Or it could be that someone on the development team actually knew but let things slide. Maybe they were busy fixing the London gradient graph, Apple Watch heart rate, or Withings-Zwift syncing. I am glad that Zwift seem to be determined to close the exploit. I hope that

actually means more like “fix this in the next client update.” I am also glad they unbanned Luciano. I am still not confident that they are able to quickly solve bugs or exploits that affect racing or other issues. Obviously I hope they prove me wrong, but realistically, what are the chances of that?

Relatively unknown by Zwift? Either you knew about it or you did not. This makes no sense.

8 Likes

Xavier K. Has some splaining to do

2 Likes

It was in their bug tracking data-base, which is write only.

6 Likes

Everyone makes mistakes - it’s how you pivot after the fact that matters.

It sounds like Zwift has learned from the experience. The bug bounty program is the big silver-lining to this situation, with the potential to empower users and improve the service.

3 Likes

Wow, Zwift have suddenly discovered the ability to make public apologies. Shame this wasn’t in place several weeks back.

I’m very glad that Luciano has been freed.

2 Likes

just need wtrl to follow suit

5 Likes

Yep this is a great point, and one I’ve raised before. Since day 1, the various Zwift racing communities have lead Zwift itself in terms of racing innovation, very much in spite of the poor technical support provided by ZHQ.

Groups of enthusiastic ‘volunteers’ have created racing from nothing (pre pens being a thing), developed different race types that aren’t the usual blob n’ sprint, multiple teams and organisations with their own formats / flavours of race, and have acted as the defacto results administrator / arbiter as for whatever reason ZHQ didn’t think it sat with them (mental). There’s loads more.

All of this has driven more subscribers and extensive PR from the wider cycling world. It’s a shame that a lot of these teams and organisations have since left the platform or scaled back their work on Zwift due to the pitiful support (and disproportionate support to one particular organisation).

ZHQ gave us Boost mode (shelved), steering (shelved?), and took over Zwiftpower only for it to be left to rot.

It’s such a shame - look at what these communities have achieved with their hands tied (for free!), and imagine what they could do if they were more empowered / had more tools to play with. Or at least as empowered as WTRL.

10 Likes

Thank you

I’d be very surprised if that happens!

2 Likes

Thanks good to see some sense with this situation and is driver going forward to work with the community. We are all here to enjoy cycling and racing

Ride on

2 Likes

To be fair to Zwift they have now patched the hole in their foot quite promptly and their response to the required changes in the category enforcement code was also good.

1 Like

It has been very tough three days.
Oscar award moment now.
Want to say big thanks to all the Zwifters here.
But very very specially to the entire Coalition crowd which has been incredibly supportive and cheering. Best group ever.
My two mates in crime Enrico and Stefano.
And two brothers from another mother Edu and Peter.
Also many people I have been discovering during the last three days like Chris O., Jonathan C., Alexandre M, J. Stevens, Dave, Juho…List is unlimited and could last for hours.
I believe the needle was moved in the right direction so it was totally worth it.
Need to step back a little and sleep for one or two weeks, but will come back soon with irrelevant Zwift Insider articles.
#freelucianoisdead

Sidenote: Mr Eric, if you could press F5 to update my Watopian in Review status I would appreciate. I am still a ghost :slight_smile:

29 Likes