Difficulties in finding the right group ride level.

I’m new and after four group rides haven’t been able to find a good level… and I think it is because what you get isn’t what it says on the tine.

First I did a Trek ride billed at 2.0 - 2.4 w/kg and they blew me away.

So I tried CyclingHub Sub 2 with Pedal Power billed as 1.8 - 2.2 w/kg and got blown out at half-time.

Third I tried Team PoZ Friendship Ride as the details were 1.5 - 2.5. Not right.

Fourth I had a second go with CyclingHub Sub 2… and took more notice.

I was blown out at 25mins having riden at 2.3 w/kg when it was tough so above the required 1.8 - 2.2 figure in the bumff.

Why don’t they deliver what it says on the tin… if riders go over the top figure for say 10mins they get deleted, or given an enforced halt or something such.

Some explanation from an organiser such as CyclingHub would be appreciated.

Apologies if there is an explanation for it all somewhere and I’ve not found it.

John

The group leader usually maintains the pace.  However, some do branch off in the front creating smaller groups.  There is a nice ride on Monday nights.  Great bunch of people.  On Monday nights 7:30 EST.  ZSUN Back to basics ride.  ZSUN is pretty good at keeping the bunch together.  Monday night is rated at 1.5-1.7 for an hour of riding.  They have another one around the same time Wednesday night at slightly higher power requirements.  Give them a try.  Again, it depends on the ride leader and the group.  

Yes John

Took me a while to get a feeling for which rides could justify the social tag, which rides held to the stated w/kg and which rides were races.

That said, there are riders that treat all rides as all-out-pedal-to-the-metal-supercharged-full-throw-up-mode-do-or-die-crazy-pedaling races :slight_smile:

It’s still all good though, I love it :slight_smile:

Ride On!

I can recommend the Pack rides as well

It’s a real problem. Rides rarely seem to stay at the right pace. That’s the group leader’s fault.

Thank you all four - Chris, Paul, Steve and Alan 

Your comments come as quite a relief as it suggests it’s not me and my legs… though I’m not sure it’s my role as a new-comer to chivvy leaders.

I will tackle the rides suggested, starting with Chris’s ZSUN Back to Basics though on Mondays I have to look after a grand-daughter from 3 - 7pm so will need to enter some negotiations for an early finish.

Steve mentions Pack rides and I have noticed riders with PACK after their names, so will investigate that also.

Fingers crossed… as Paul says it’s quite invigorating/eye opening/painful…but I do love holding a wheel and watching the watts figure creep up to more than I’d be holding on my own.

John

Can also recommend Pack Rides.

The problem of course is that w/kg is so varied depending on your weight, especially on flat courses.

I noticed the details of one ride said the 2 w/kg would be based on a 80kg rider on a flat course, which at least gives more of an idea on the effort required, especially if you weigh quite a bit less :wink:

I’ve found The PACK sub-2 rides to be very good, I’m about 140W FTP and just just aim to hang around the middle of the group. Kudos to the PACK group leaders as they stick to the rating rigidly and give everyone a chance.

Best to ignore the fliers and just ride at the advertised pace - any group leader worth his salt will encourage the group to stick together and the vast majority do.

If you suspect you’re capable of a bit more, try the “PACK sub2 v The Mountain” - I did that last weekend. It’s a pretty tough climb, and the steep bits give you an opportunity to push yourself a bit harder without flying away from the group. You then gather at the top and wait for everyone to catch up, so the quicker you get there the more of a breather you get!

Apropos of nothing, I don’t get why people fly away over the pace… there are plenty of events for all catergories, why join one designed for folk who can’t / don’t want to race? I suspect some people are new to zwift and haven’t got to grips with the format but still…

Wow two more comments, Shirley and Nick… thank you both.

I’ve just be trying hard to get my weight down from 80kg to 78kg… now I read this perhaps I shouldn’t have done that…not true I hated having put it on as two years ago before cancer I was 75kg but I was pre-warned that the Protap injections give you a bigger belly … anyway I’m on my last shot now so fingers crossed that 75kg might resurface…

That further tip for a group sounds good Nick, I’ll give that a go. I restored my morale on Friday be creating an interval session like I did in my pre-Zwift years… and the watts for the 14x15sec efforts was the same as before… so happier than this time last week.

John

Keep going John & the weight loss will follow! I’ve dropped a couple of kilos since I started with zwift in December; just below 75kg today. More importantly I reckon my FTP must be up 10 Watts, but the proof of the pudding will be when I eventually get back out on the road… Snow today for probably the 4th weekend on the run!
Prior to trying the group rides I started doing the 12 week FTP builder which I was enjoying, so plenty for you to try without becoming embroiled in the competitive/race scene… Good luck with it & ride on!

Hi John - well down so far and keep going. The weight loss will follow.

I think I have only seen one group ride where I saw the figure 80kg. It made me realise that, for me, it would be quite a tough ride to stay with the group riding at 160w.

I did PACK social ride tonight which was advertised as 2 - 2.2 w/kg and it was a great group  and for the hour I averaged exactly 2w/kg. Of course I was sometimes over or under that figure depending on the terrain but the group on the whole stayed together.

j’aimerais que Zwift prenne en considération les personnes handicapées!  Je suis un cycliste avec une seule  jambe et mon classement est avec les pesonnes avec leurs 2 jambes! On pourrait sélectionner 1 ou 2 jambes …

j’aimerais que Zwift prenne en considération les personnes handicapées!  Je suis un cycliste avec une seule  jambe et mon classement est avec les pesonnes avec leurs 2 jambes! On pourrait sélectionner 1 ou 2 jambes …

Andre

Je suis en admiration de vous monsieur. Faire du vélo avec deux jambes peut être assez difficile mais pour ceux comme vous, je trouve vos réalisations incroyables.

J’ai monté la Marmotte trois fois. La dernière fois que j’avais fait la lourde remontée, le Col de la Croix de Fer et le Galibier, j’étais à mi-chemin de l’Alpe d’Huez quand je me suis retrouvé à côté d’un mec avec une jambe. Je me sentais si humble.