Crash after update: "Unexpected Error" on Mac and reinstall didn't solve

Whatever went into v 1.15.1 has fixed my catalina machine. I’m back in game

I’m in the uk (windows 10)…so frustrating!!!
I find lack of communication from zwift as bad as the actual problem!!!

2 Likes

Thanks @Justin_Mayfield. Paused mine for 6 weeks, hopefully they can find the fix that we already found for them in this thread by then.

I’m not sure if it’s comforting or scary to know that even Zwift that has raised $600m at a valuation of $1bn doesn’t have automated testing on each target platform to catch something like this before a release goes out.

The Zwift startup log has always been full of ERROR lines so nothing new there, and we don’t know if GFX_CreateTextureFromTGAFile() has directory separator normalizing magic or not. Looks like it is the assert that is the actual problem and whether you can repro the problem or not, finding and removing the offending filename should be easy enough.

lucky you Bryce … how can it be possible ???

mine: MacOS Big Sur 11.4 APFS, Case-sensitive, Encrypted has only changed the title of the error: from “Unexpected Error” … now I got just “U” … hurray

I have identical errors logs as Kish reported.

I’m on Mojave and had the most stuttery glitchy ride today - virtually unusable and had to exit a race. I have 4GB graphics and had restarted my machine … so, I can only assume it is this update causing such a performance issue.

Getting same error here as well! Just updated today.

2 Likes

No fix on the horizon either :expressionless:

Mac Big Sur 11.15
MacBook Air (13-inch, 2017)

Still unsolved on Windows 10:

It’s a little bit annoying to pay for a service you can’t use.

2 Likes

I’ve never seen this once, on any Windows 10 system. Something very weird is going on for it to be cross-platform.

@shooj Is there any update on this, given that the pop up says the error has been logged? You must have more than enough data by now.

3 Likes

It’s clear that they have are not making this issue a priority. Maybe we have to wait until the next release cycle.

2 Likes

Hi Dave, that’s strange.
I have two windows 10 laptops and both have the same issue… :crazy_face:

1 Like

Hi, I’m on windows 10 too and having the same issue.
For the past two weeks, I would remove and do a clean install every time when I want to Zwift.
Zwift will always run nicely with no error for just once after every clean install. Hope it works for you too.
A temporary make-do solution while the folks fixing the issue.

Are we sure this isn’t a permissions thing (on Windows)? Are you using a system where you have admin rights? Do you have OneDrive or some other cloud syncing software installed that may be preventing Zwift writing to your Documents folder properly?

Yes, very sure. Just look at the log snippets posted earlier in the thread, it says exactly what the problem is. Nobody at Zwift seems to acknowledge this.

That’s for Mac, I’m referring to the same apparent issue on Windows 10. It’s not like my systems can magically access the local path that the Mac versions appear to be struggling with. Sorry if I wasn’t clear.

And in fairness Zwift Support have acknowleged the problem in this thread, including putting it in the Known Issues board with a ticket number. Just got to hope they provide an update on a fix soon.

Two weeks.

hello.

What will happen to the days that I have not been able to use zwift?

Two Weeks!

3 Likes

Any updates or workarounds?

3 Likes