Compatibility Wahoo Kickr and 12 speed cassette

Hi folks,

My new road bike comes with a Shimano Dura Ace 9200 12 speed cassette. My smart trainer - a Wahoo Kickr - comes with an 11 speed cassette.

Is Dura Ace 12 speed compatible with the 11 speed cassette? I understand it would do fine in ERG mode, less so with manual shifting as that would be as smooth.

What’s your experience? If compatible, is there a risk of compromising the derailleurs on the bike in the long term?

Thanks in advance!

Roby

I’m pretty sure that you’ll need to use a 12-speed cassette on your trainer. That will fit fine, since they’ve made the new cassettes backward-compatible with the existing freehub bodies.

4 Likes

Hi @Roberto_Alimonti
Yes, you’ll need to install a Shimano 12 speed cassette on your trainer. Using an 11 speed cassette on an otherwise 12 speed drivetrain is going to shift poorly, and wear out the (expensive) drivetrain.

If you can find the Ultegra-level 12 speed cassette with steel cogs, it’s a much better cost: function proposition than the Dura-Ace version with titanium cogs

Shimano 12 speed road cassettes will fit on your trainer’s existing freehub body. No freehub retrofit is needed for Shimano’s road cassettes. Shimano’s 12 speed MTB cassettes are a different story, but that doesn’t apply to you.

1 Like

Many thanks for your prompt and helpful replies! :+1:

1 Like

Hi guys. I have the same kicker with the same issue and this thread has been very helpful. My question now is can it be any Shimano 12spd?

Yes all Shimano 12 speed cassettes share the same spacing

Thank you

Hello, i have a similar question.

I have the 12 speed cassette, but it seems too big for the wahoo kickr, do i need to buy anything additional or change something for the 12 speed cassette to fit correctly?

If there’s a 1.8mm spacer under the cassette, you should remove it. If that’s not the case you might want to contact Wahoo support. Assuming the freehub body is designed for 11 speed, it should work with a Shimano 12 speed cassette.

Hi, can I use Shimano 105 R7100 12 Speed Cassette on Wahoo Kicker?

Yes any Shimano 12 speed road cassette should work.