Changes to Zwift Subscription Renewals [May 2024]

This is so British !
Tea and our mad Electric pricing system :slight_smile:

1 Like

I feel for those on a budget,
then there are those who always compain about the price of zwift while buying after market parts for the annual subs that promise a couple of watts saving, maybe honestā€¦!

1 Like

I feel for anyone on a budget who is or is trying to get into cycling as a whole, including in moments like this. I think the ā€˜sheer greed!ā€™ comments are pretty funny thoughā€“who would have thought that a for-profit corporation is trying to make money? :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Zwifter since Nov 2015, sad to see it end but itā€™s no longer worth it.

8 Likes

AWS are famous for giving away their cloud servers for free and Iā€™m sure Zwift serverside runs on a Raspberry Pi :slight_smile:

Cycling please stop hitting yourself challenge :frowning:

1 Like

In a vacuum, sure itā€™s not a big deal. But everything is going up in price and not everyone is making a million per year in salary. People need to cut things out of their budgets with so much inflation.

4 Likes

famous where?

They might give trial servers away but they are for profit company and charge like everybody else.

thatā€™s the joke

1 Like

They will lose subscribers but as you say not enough will cancel to make it a net loss for them.

In the short term. And that is where the problem is - Ā£17.99 is too high for the UK to attract new subscribers so growth will shrink, and over the next year Iā€™d expect to see a drop in total subscriber numbers, and a significant drop in new subs.

It might be that new subs have slowed right down, and they have just cut to milking the existing ones. So lets look at it as a value proposition - what am I getting today that is worth an extra Ā£5 per month? A platform that is wretchedly buggy, gets stupid changes (e.g. XP levels) inflicted without the benefit of a rational thought, runs extremely dated graphics, and offers exceptionally low configurability. Sarcasm aside, I really canā€™t think of anything in the past couple of years that has improved the game: the only minor upgrade is new routes, and these are rolled out with glacial speed.

A great shame but i think the decline of Zwift has started and Iā€™m not sure if I will continue or just watch from afar. Money isnā€™t really the problem for me (recognise that for others it is) - it is the feeling of being ripped off that grates.

ETA - started on Zwift 2/11/2015 so been here a whileā€¦

7 Likes

I feel sorry for the Zwift employees who (try to) do an excellent job while so many and obvious management mistakes happen: the much too often adjusted XP/leveling system in the last releases seems symptomatic for the erratic strategy of Zwift: be it the co-CEO leadership idea, the hardware business, all the ideas/announcements that unfortunately were never realized (incl. a gear-display for the Stages SB20 owners), etcā€¦: Zwift has unfortunately not shown a lucky hand so far and the chosen timing just before the summer break makes me doubt whether the massive increase will ultimately generate an optimum of additional revenue - compared to a more moderate increase with potentially more paying usersā€¦ Once again, you get the feeling that Zwift needs fundamental support to ensure that the brilliant idea of yesteryear remains viable for the future.

3 Likes

Mateā€¦

also I messed up my reply :rofl:

1 Like

There is never a time for a price increase that will make people say ā€˜this is a good timeā€™. If itā€™s not inflation, itā€™s oil/gas costs, or supply shortages, or housing costs, or whatever else happens to be the expensive thing at that point. Even when economies are booming, there is something that people are paying for that they thing is too much, and a price increase from something else will be unwelcome.

Thereā€™s something to be said for more frequent price increases, perhaps. But can we imagine, if Zwift had increased the price every year since 2017, that there would be countless threads here about ā€˜Zwift So Greedy, increasing costs every year!ā€™

Peopleā€™s perception will never be that ā€˜this is a good time for a price increaseā€™.

2 Likes

thats crap

Theyā€™ve been around for around a decade and still have no idea how to properly run their business. The price increase does not coincide with a better product. The value is not there for many as you can see in this thread. They canā€™t even time the price increase to get the most out of it. Why do it just before a large % of people pause their subscription to ride outside? Idiocy.

5 Likes

Exactly this

Letā€™s see how many of those people go for a rant now and then come back for the winter anyway. I thought about it twice and think the timing is actually not that bad. People will pause anyway. Most people will come back. And they can sell the drop in subscriptions as ā€œseasonalā€.

1 Like

This is outrageous.

Iā€™m going to tell me mum.

Thatā€™ll learn 'em!

4 Likes

Because very likely their outrage will have calmed down by the time northern hemi fall rolls around. As opposed to an increase right before they were thinking about coming back :person_shrugging:

2 Likes

A slightly different perspective. Its hard to call Zwift a ā€œmoney-grabbing platformā€ when they have NEVER turned a profit. If you are the CEO of Zwift what do you do? Keep losing money? Now I think that this huge increase was a bad move and obviously made a lot of users upset. They would have been better off raising prices in smaller increments over time.

2 Likes

Iā€™m going to guess a large number will cancel, try out some of the other apps and then come back in the fall when they realize there isnā€™t anything else offering as much as Zwift (even if Zwift is far, far from perfect). Btw I still canā€™t believe people put Rouvy and Zwift in the same league.

3 Likes