Category Enforcement - How is my category calculated? [February 2022]

Thanks @xflintx and @gloscherrybomb.

I am back to being a B rider ad expected. I am actually pretty surprised that the system picked up that I am a B not a C almost B as Zp, good job on that.

6 Likes

Correct.

1 Like

Sadly still a B when really a middling C. It is what it is I guess

2 Likes

Looking at the above category logic, what do you think made you a B?

Canā€™t seem to get Intervals.icu to show my MAP - says if it doesnā€™t appear if data not good. Is there a calculator somewhere I can chuck my numbers in?

Not sure, with a CP of 224 and CP 3.06 w/kg must be the VO2 I guess, will have a look in detail tomorrow as have not fully read or understood the above to assess it with a fair crack

1 Like

Yeah my son is the same - 40kg - 3.4w/kg but FTP of 144 categorised as a B. He is a D in zwiftpower but c feels correct. Id 469161

1 Like

Thanks @gloscherrybomb and @xflintx - well communicated now, even though some of the maths is challenging my brain (thanks to Intervals however!)

Coincidently in the past 48 hours, Iā€™ve gone from ZP B to C almost B, and back to ZP B - Intervals has me at 251w CP and my MAP is 3.87w/kg (and Cat B in the test events). So looks as though I will continue to flip/flop between B and C as I have done for ever (excl tweaks). Looks to be fair enough to me (bugga).

1 Like

Excellemt chaps , back in the game then . Rules laid down so we know what they are ā€¦

Pen enforcement feature works (easy enough to test and verify ) . I trust on that basis it can therefore be immediately rolled out for ALL events after the trial .

Categorisation measuring no doubt will continue to debate but 99% of us are not going to see a different category from that issued by Zwiftpower .

Question ; Will these new metrcs and resulting categorisations be proted over to Zwiftpower in the short/medium term ā€¦ to unify the platform on this .

1 Like

MAP is a trickier one. I think the best way is to look at the 3P CP model, and then the (modelled) values for 5m-8m power. Roughly the average of this will be your MAP as far as I can tell.

2 Likes

My lightweight wife appears to be in the same boat. Sub-200 watts but bumped to B.

Iā€™m a definite C on ZP so not sure why Iā€™m a B now, but in fairness I was cautious about losing more weight due to my wkg last year being in the B cat briefly which was painful racing for a while. That being said, where I enter a race with C riders only rather than mass starts I can nearly always stay with the front pack up until the sprint. If there are 10 riders in thatc front pack from a start list of 50, Iā€™ll finish 9th or 10th overall. Rarely happens any differently. Maybe if Iā€™m B Iā€™ll have to up my game and train a damn sight harder and maybe it will do me good as it is pretty dull finishing last of the front pack come what may. (If it is a mass start I can wheel suck like a pro at times and provided very few Cs managed to grab the B group I can occasionally get a medal)

3 Likes

Brilliant work @gloscherrybomb & @xflintx this is good to see community and Zwift coming together to improve things in the right direction. Liking it

5 Likes

Iā€™ve been able to use data from my power curve in ZwiftPower (which doesnā€™t include solo rides, so is admittedly incomplete* versus this new system) within the HighNorth spreadsheet to calculate my Critical Power with 99% ā€˜goodness of fitā€™ and understand how/why Iā€™m now in cat C in these events, matching my current ZP category. My 5-8min power is pretty much a flat line :rofl:, so thatā€™s similarly easy to work out against the MAP/VO2 boundary and understand why Iā€™m not tipped into B that way. It would be good if the calculations incorporated workouts too, since that would make Zwift truly pointless for deliberate sandbaggers/cruisers.

*It does cover 90 days though, and I mostly take part in events so I consider it to be pretty close.

3 Likes

@gloscherrybomb @xflintx
I know you said feedback elsewhere and this was for questions, but everyone else did so here it is.

In summary: Brilliant from the 2 of you. I had a bit of a rant earlier and this nails everything (well, assuming race ranking is out the window for now of course).

Just shows what can be done.

@xflintx - Especially well done as you are the one from Zwift with your head in the firing line and have taken it like a champ and more importantly listened. I hope youā€™re aware that the thousands of posts are all because so many people are massively invested in this and want it to be right. I just texted Eric. He said take the day off and put your feet upā€¦ you deserve it. Tomorrowā€¦ race ranking maybe? :smiley:

6 Likes

What about hardware restriction first? :wink:

4 Likes

The update to the rankings keeps me in B - no change, but I wasnā€™t really expecting one. So from that perspective it looks fine to me.

Itā€™s great to see the turn-around on the feedback, hopefully a bunch of pitchfork orders have been cancelled :slight_smile:

1 Like

You cant just leave us hanging on a thread with that oneā€¦ :thinking:

3 Likes

Just remember that I said we were building flexible and scalable systems, with category enforcement being just the start. Letā€™s get through the tests here and get category enforcement as a permanent feature then weā€™ll come back to that bit above.

Mostly just want to convey that these tests arenā€™t the end. Theyā€™re really just the beginning.

14 Likes

Love it, a smart trainer being smart enough to detect a weight doper :crazy_face: