Build Me Up (12-week training plan)

Wahoo! Congrats on the awesome FTP increase!!

I have really loved the training program for the same types of learning opportunities you had mentioned. It’s so fun to read about everyone’s experience. Kudos!!

1 Like

Currently doing BMU for second time, now on week 5 and just did Escalation, it was challenging but those last hard 2 sets of 5 x 30 sec intervals where brutal, I thought Purple Unicorn was pretty tough as well from week 4, just didn’t have those all out efforts at the end that Escalation did, which probably makes it stick out as others have mentioned. Made some huge gains last time I did rhis, hoping to build on this.

Right there with ya - checking my note and analysis from Escalation, which I did as first workout of Week 5, the 5th of those 150% FTP & 100 RPM 30 second intervals destroyed me, and graphs show I was closer to 125% FTP, struggling to get by standing at ~80 RPM with heart beating out of my chest. Overall, a great time!

Good luck with the rest of the program!

Thanks. Yes, it feels way different with the new FTP and every workout is a struggle. I have to say I almost got killed on the VO2 max session (15.9) - as this seems to be my weak point - so I had to reduce a bit for the last two intervals. However, will keep fighting and LOX coming up this week.

That sounds very close to my experience. I think Build Me Up has been the first time I’ve done specific VO2 max intervals. I found 15.9 tough, didn’t hit all the cadence targets, for me I couldn’t get through VOX - made it to the 4th before I had to take a break, legs just stopped working. But, somehow I got through Mosaic (which starts with VOX), so sometimes you can surprise yourself with what is possible!

Purple unicorn… phew. It’s one monster of a workout, for sure.

I find it strange, that now at the end of week 4, a rest week, I feel almost more fatigued in my legs than the previous weeks. I saved the Purple devil until today, so I hade quite a long period of little to no effort in the saddle. just the Pedalling drills and Sneaky, which I did on Monday, both of them.
But I couldn’t complete it.
I did three segments, and the “recovery” sets at 85% of FTP offered very little recovery. I bonked, simple as that. And it was the legs that gave in, not my heart.

I don’t think it has to do with the fact that I raised my FTP a few days ago, but more so a general state of worn out legs, and probably less than optimal nutrition. I’m hoping two days off the bike will set me up for a good week 5. I really hate not being able to finish what I started, so this hurts my pride quite a bit.

Have a great weekend everyone!
// Matt

I’d always assumed that the progression of workouts in a plan is based on your FTP at the start, so I avoid making changes during the plan. I could be wrong – maybe someone who knows about coaching could comment?

PS no hurt pride needed – I reckon the workouts are pretty tough, and there were a few that saw me grind to a halt.

1 Like

Cheers, @Ed_Lazda!

I certainly recall heavily regretting increasing my FTP part way through TT Tune-Up two years ago, after a good power result from an event. The workplan has a reputation for being nasty from week 5 without a mid-workplan increase of ~20W! :grimacing:

1 Like

Generally speaking, if you are progressing through a 12 weeks plan, you might consider an FTP test (I prefer the RAMP/MAP test, but to everyone his own opinion) somwehere between start of 4th and end of 6th weeks. If you eat and rest properly, and the training load is right, the body needs about 4 to 6 weeks to adapt. Not neccessary though, as you can always simplay add a few percentage to workout intensity if there is a need of higher workload. I’d advise to increase WO % on easier WOs first, like Cucumber and such, not for the VO2Max WOs :slight_smile:

1 Like

So can finally share my full experience as I completed the program last week.

First of all, the new flexibility saved my ass a few times when I was traveling for business could not fit in 5 trainings in 2 days. Thanks to Zwift, this feature release mid-plan was really needed!

Secondly, the week 4 ramp test was a good choice, even so it might have overestimated my FTP back then. However it really was a drag to get through the program afterwards. Even in week 11 a few times I had to lower the % a bit or even throw in a small pause for more recovery on VO2max intervals.

Also, I learned a lot about the right nutrition as well, getting to know myself better to understand when it’s time to gel up or get a bite. The final FTP test brought me to 295, which is a more than significant increase from 242. I’m really happy with this program, but for many moments I would have screamed at my screen, if I would have had the power to do so.

3 Likes

All workouts from 7 & 8 of my Build Me Up training plan have all been marked as not completed even though I have. The workouts are still in my Zwift log in and also Zwift Companion. I understand that I can go back a tick completed outside but I don’t want to. I read the same issue back in 2021 and can not find if Zwift workout a fix. Can anyone help or will have have too mark off as done outside. It’s a little disheartening given the hard work I’ve put in.

I did this program a few years ago and got a 33% FTP increase. Previously I raced mtb endurance series and had kept my weight in check over the previous 7 years but had done very little riding. I was pleased with the results and felt really good. Fast forward another 3 years to present day… I started the program again and am about half way through. The workouts are just starting to become more intense and longer. I love the structure of it. I have already received FTP increases from riding around Watopia doing various climbs. The program works well for me. Good luck!

Week 7 has me currently wrung over on my backside.

As a somewhat unexperienced cyclist, I’ve started the plan with an FTP of 180W.
First few weeks are fine, did a new FTP test at week 4/5 and got an FTP of 210W (ramp).

But around week 7, I just couldn’t complete some efforts anymore.
Either be it fatigue, inexperience at dealing with vo2 or just not having the proper endurance base.
I’ve had to stop one early and reduce power for a few.

Currently going to take the rest week 8 as it comes with the set FTP and just try to get through this.

It’s a nice plan (atleast w1-6) just hope I get to finish it with my head held high :smiley:

2 Likes

Great result so far. Hold on, it’s worth it! :+1: :+1:
The best workout plan ever :wink: