Best permanent road bike to use with a smart home trainer ?

I plan to buy a dedicated road bike to be always clean and connected to my smart home trainer.

Which feature are important (or not) ?

Does carbon or aluminium frame matters ?

Light weight and expensive Transmission ot not ?

other key feature ?

I would get an entry level aluminium bike with at least Shimano 105 components. No reason to get something super expensive and I would definitely stay away from a carbon frame.

I am sure others will give their input. 

1 Like

Guess you didn’t like my answer.

Weight means nothing since it’s going to be mounted to a trainer, so I would get a aluminum frame bike. Also you could crack a carbon frame since it is mount to a trainer and could stress joints over time. As far as components go, when the price goes up, the weight goes down. Lower priced components will function just as well as higher end ones and will probably out last them.

You could look at getting a Wattbike Atom and not have to worry about buying a bike just to mount to a trainer.

Most important: it fits you

Second most important: the gears shift properly

Third most important: nothing

Thanks Paul ans Steve for your comments.  I had the same idea, but wanted to share with other’s view.

I moved from MTB to Road Bike, because I was fed up to clean my bike after every ride, but if I use the same Road bike for outdoor and indoor, as I’m living in an appartment, I need to clean it to avoid bringing dust inside.

Reckon your budget will make the final decision Marc. 

I use an old Alu bike with 105 parts.  Get one that fits you is the most important.  Mine is actually a flat bar as aerodynamics are totally unimportant.  

I use my hybrid Road bike on the Neo. It’s the same gear ratio as my Di2 carbon fantastic. 

I still use it outside as it takes seconds to wipe it down and slip the wheel off. 

Works perfectly for my needs. 

I’ve been using my Alu/carbon Bianchi road bike with a wheel-on turbo trainer since starting Zwift. Tried my Surly LHT touring bike on the turbo last week. The heavy steel frame, long wheelbase and 26" touring wheels make it rock solid on the turbo, especially when sprinting out of the saddle.

The contact points can be set to the same position as the road bike, though at the moment I’ve got the bars higher for comfort. Got a turbo tyre for the LHT and won’t be putting my road bike back on the turbo again.