Zwift Companion app on iOS16 won't connect [September 2022] [SOLVED]

Rowdy/ Zwift Staff:

Using Iphone Pro 14, IOS 16.2 and latest updated to Apple TV, Zwift and Companion Apps.

• The intermittent disconnection of Companion App has been well documented by various users; when will this be resolved? Its quite frustrating for user experience.
1 Like

Same problem here pairing the companion app. I’m Zwifting with Apple TV, Suito - T trainer and trying to pair with the companion app. I have the companion app installed on an iPhone 13 with iOS 16.2. I’ve tried numerous suggestions with no luck.

I tried the static IP setting for my Apple TV and my iPhone 14 Pro (iOS 16.1.2) - no luck. Getting real tired of this. I hope Zwift will fix this issue soon.

1 Like

Hello support, all,

I have been experiencing the same ZC ‘not connecting when riding Zwift’ issue since upgrading to iPhone 14. Worked all well and good on the previous iPhone 8.
Current setup: Apple TV Zwift (latest update), iPhone 14 (iOS 16.1.2), ZC (latest version 3.42.0).
I have gone through the recommended checks on the website as well as the checks suggested in the posts above - nu luck just yet. I’ll post to the support team directly as requested as well.

Fingers crossed !

Today, it was disconnecting during the beginning of my ride, but overtime it settled out and stayed put. Next planned ride is Thursday.

Companion app connected for the first 5 minutes and then Disconnects. I’ve tried all the suggested actions to rectify. After giving up on reconnecting and enjoying the ride all on its own the Companion app reconnected at minute 35 and disconnected again at minute 47. I was riding with pace partner in Makuru islands. connected at 51 and disconnected at 56. No. Changes or attempts to reconnect.

Yes it seems like Wi-Fi issue but I have gig speeds and few devices.

iPhone 13. iOS 16.2
iPad Pro Gen 5 iOS 16.2
Up to date Zwift app on iPad and iPhone

Thanks for continuing to investigate and feel free to connect with me to diagnose of you desire.

What sort of WiFi equipment are you using? Have you tried using a WiFi analyzer to see if the signal is solid? Tried changing between 5GHz and 2.4GHz bands? Tried changing the channel on the access point or router?

You do have the option of running iOS 15 on the phone to see if iOS 16 is the problem, though it’s quite a chore to downgrade, and shouldn’t be necessary. It doesn’t sound like the problem is understood by Zwift, and of course it may not be device/OS related for all users, since it’s hard to differentiate it from WiFi issues.

Thanks Paul, I’m not going to downgrade (Zwift is smart enough to produce a Companion app that works with iOS 16). I haven’t tried a Wi-Fi analyzer as suggested. Do you have one you suggest? I’m happy to analyze but the Zwift app itself is rock solid and the phone is less than 3 feet from the iPad so I’m fairly certain that the 3 feet is covered by the same Wi-Fi pretty well.

Thanks for the thoughts…

I have an iPhone 14 pro. Just updated to iOS 16.2 and companion app stopped connecting in game. I have an old iPod touch iOS 12 which connects to the game no problem. Seems iOS update is causing the problem

The wifi signal is going from your phone to the router and then to your ipad, or vice versa.
If one of your devices switches the frequency (2.4gHz or 5gHz) they are technically not in the same network and the companion app connection drops.

Sounds like your devices are repeatedly switching frequency.

Edit:

Out of interest I have googled “iOS 16.2 wifi issues”.

Seems like there is a bigger problem with apple to blame.

This should not matter unless there is something very strange about how the network is set up. Changing the connection medium should not affect what happens in higher layers. Sticking to a single band is not a crazy idea when troubleshooting problems, but any wireless device should be able to migrate from 2.4GHz to 5GHz without affecting the IP layer that Zwift cares about. If switching results in a new DHCP lease, that would indicate something bad about how the network is configured.

Some mobile devices generate a random Mac address on every reconnection.
Many people have reported problems with being in different wifi frequencies when using the companion app.

But the mentioned iOS Bug in the recent updates seems to be the culprit, not general wifi problems.

1 Like

That would cause a new DHCP lease if it jumps to a new SSID. However if it just shifts bands while using the same SSID, it should stay the same.

(Also, disabling “Private Wi-Fi Address” in settings for the home wireless networks should avoid it, and doesn’t seem like a big privacy concern on home networks.)

1 Like

Another zwifter with the same problem. Got a new i14 with iOS 16.2 at the end of November . No joy. Having to use an older pixel phone for ZC. I guess zwift will fix this when it begins to hurt their bottom line.

It’s an iOS Bug problem

Same problem here (new iPhone 14 Pro, iOS 16.2). Just ended chatting with support. Was adviced to use a different device for ZC:-)

1 Like

It seems after I first raised this issue back in September 2022, Zwift have really no interest in resolving the issue.

@shooj @Rowdy WHEN will Zwift actually proceed to address this issue, as evidenced by this thread its NOT an isolated issue.

1 Like

I quote myself…from three posts above

Its NOT, as have a freshly installed iPad Pro running iOS 16.2 and works fine, BUT a new iPhone 14 Pro does not work

Then it’s an just an iphone/iOS 16 pro problem and not on iPads.

iOS and iPadOS are different.

If I remember correctly almost everybody in this thread has problems with iPhones with iOS 16.