Update Firmware on Elite Sterzo Smart [June 2021]

Thanks for this fix. I had the same BT issue using Windows 10. Deleting the Sterzo from BT devices fixed the problem :bomb::cn::+1:t6:

Apologies, I see you already found the solution to this issue from @Simon_Marais in this thread.

Apologies @Matty_j_BRR, and @_Jay_VCT if you already found the solution to this issue from @Simon_Marais in this thread. If not, there is a very good chance his post will help you clear Windows Bluetooth cache that is holding the old firmware version value.

2 Likes

Thanks for following up. I had found the solution posted and can confirm that it did fix the issue.

Thanks for the tag @Mike.W - I’d given up on it! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Did get it working from this tidbit but had to pair the Sterzo with PC first, then remove it haha. That seemed to clear the BT cache on PC and now working again in Zwift. :+1: :+1:

When I log into Zwift, I received the firmware update message posted above. When I go to the Sterzo app (Upgrado), I am told my Serzo Smart is up to date (Firmware version 21, Hardware revision 3) but I am still getting the firmware update warning on Zwift. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi @S_Stone

Did you register on the Elite website? That’s an important step that’s described on this thread upstream

Hi, I’m curious what you have developed that rivals the Sterzo so well?

I don’t mind turning my bars a tad to fine tune my lane position. I use it in sprints to improve my time, which works very well without moving my hands from the shifters at all.

I tend to ride in the middle of the road by myself as well (bonus of steering). If I feel like grabbing a slipstream I steer over to that person, but no one can draft me :wink:

Cheers

I just placed a low-profile micro-switch on the inside of each drop. Can be reached with the thumb from the drops or hoods. This meant that you could just place a little pressure on the left or right, activate the micro switch and get a far more natural feel.

A simple time-ramp algorithm in an ESP-32 made the steering offset increase as you kept the switch held down.

It felt far more natural and intuitive. Then Zwift locked down the protocol and there was little point in continuing. You might be able to hack a Steerzo to achieve something similar now (I don’t know if it contains a POT or an encoder but you could fairly trivially fake both from an Arduino) , but I don’t want to give Elite money for one after they were complicit in shutting me out!

In terms of their real attention to UX, I still can’t ride Gravel without wanting to throw up because of the ridiculous bouncing Pogo-stick visuals algorithm.

But I’m a Zwift lover / hater. Shame I don’t use the platform half as much as I would like to because of silly things that I hate! My issue not theirs.

I am logged in via the app. What is the difference? I did get the device working via deleting and relinking Bluetooth on the laptop I use.

If you don’t register on the Elite website, it won’t work. Talk to Elite about this requirement for their firmware update process - it’s out of Zwift’s control.

1 Like

In case anyone else had same problem with Elite account creation… Elite sends you an email (from no-reply@elite-it.com) that includes a link to activate your account (must be done within 8 days). In my case , the email was in my JUNK folder. Once I activated my account, their app finally found my Sterzo steering device and successfully updated the firmware.
Crazy that their upgrade process is not described in their doc or that there is no mention of their iOS/Android ‘Upgrado’ app