Update Firmware on Elite Sterzo Smart [June 2021]

OK I give up. I have tried all I can and the app says it cannot find my trainer (Wahoo Kickr), so no steering. What can I do?

I have similar problems as few people above. Updated the Sterzo to the latest firmware and the Upgrado application confirms it’s the newest one (v21 with hardware v8) but Zwift keeps popping up the error message claiming otherwise. No idea what to do now…

May be of use to someone…my smartphone found the sterzo but would time out when trying to connect for the upgrade, BUT MY IPAD COULD CONNECT…seemed to be a better bluetooth unit for this. Suggestion was made by Elite support. Download the upgrado app onto the ipad and away you go. So all upgraded.

Interesting, @Colin_Berry_3R_B. Glad you got resolution.
I got mine to update first time using a 2019 iPhone 11 with Bluetooth 5.
Elite’s technical documentation is pretty thin and just mentions ‘Bluetooth’. It would be great if this kind of detail were specified in order to save the aggro involved.

This is off topic, but the centreing spring in my Sterzo Smart broke (straightforward metal fatigue) after only about four months’ use. The design is not very sophisticated at all. Since the absence of the spring didn’t impede the operation of the unit in any way, I removed the remnants of the spring and haven’t contacted Elite as I can’t be bothered with the hassle.
I like having a rotating block under my front wheel, meaning a more natural-feeling handlebar and less friction/wear under the front tyre, but I’m not impressed with the Sterzo in itself and would almost certainly not seek to replace it if it stopped working altogether.

Hi Roule. Elite should just send you a new unit. Agree, super annoying. And rotating front wheel is desirable…I’ve actually enjoyed the way the unit has worked, really like choosing my place on the road, and have done some steering races too. In some way I think steering will stick around. Pragmatically, yes it’s just another technical thing that can be very frustrating. Elite thought it was the strength of bluetooth antenna, or weakness that was the issue.

1 Like

mine broke as well, premature metal fatigue. Elite’s service was supporting and they send me a new Sterzo, which also helped me to the improved v2

1 Like

I had the new spring in 2 days…

Shuji, app is still sticking at the OK after the countdown. I have manually select the OK for it to clear the screen.

I have exactly the same problem, latrest firmware for Sterzo Samrt and latest Zwift…

Samer message from the game

I have exactly the same problem, latest firmware for Sterzo Smart and latest Zwift…

Same error message from the game

Hi,

Im running windows 10 pro, Zwift version 1.0.72785, 1.14.1 (72785)

Sterzo Smart Firmware 21 (hardware revision 4)

Yet, the same error when I checked in again on Zwift to ride this morning.

Still get this error in Zwift: (see below link)

Hello @Simon_Marais

Did you register on the Elite website? That is a required part of this process. See Drew’s post above.

yes I did. Thanks

I resolved the issue by having to remove the sterzo bluetooth connection from the laptop directly and then re pair it. Worked 100% thereafter.

2 Likes

you should not have the sterzo or your trainer connected to the laptop.

1 Like

I confirm: re-pairing fixed the firmware mismatch error for me too. Thank you!

Is there a a reason for this? I use a PC connection with both the trainer and Sterzo fine.

Yes Bluetooth should only connect to one device at a time Bluetooth is a 1 to 1 connection if you connect it to more than one you will start to get connection issues.

1 Like

Just Google it. The BT specification allows for a one to many connection. But the majority of devices haven’t implemented that in the past, because it hasn’t been needed. E.g. most BT headphones (i.e. not the high-end ones) can only pair to one device at a time. Same with most trainers and bike sensors.

This is very different from ANT+ which uses a broadcast mechanism that is never exclusive.

2 Likes

All is good

Would someone upload the last firmware please ? I’m stuck with the Elite customer’s service…