Training with non smart trainer

(Antony Thornely ) #1

I don’t have a smart trainer. It’s a tacx blue matic. The resistance has to be set on level 3 so Zwifts algorithms can estimate my power. As my power (FTP) has improved this setting is no longer adequate. Is there a way of putting the resistance up so I can hit the required power targets on training programs and the effort being recorded accordingly.

(Gerrie Delport) #2

No unfortunately not. Zwift will not know that your trainer is on any other setting. So if you use a higher setting it will just be harder to reach your FTP number. You could change the setting and do a new FTP test (the new FTP will be lower) then train to that. But that is a last resort.

You can change your gearing so you can reach higher wheel speed and thus higher power.

Or it may be time to get a new/used trainer with a steeper power curve. See the link below, not all are supported by Zwift.

(Antony Thornely ) #3

Thank you Gerrie.
I’ll check out link.
I have been using higher setting and re doing my FTP which works fine until I then join in a race. Then of course my FTP gets readjusted, etc etc. I also put larger chainring on but Zwift seems to have a ceiling on power output for my trainer.
I was hoping a zwift engineer (which may be you?!) would see this and be able to create algorithm to be able to adapt if I manually input the resistance change… otherwise it’s a new trainer :smirk:

(Gerrie Delport) #4

@Antony_Thornely: Unfortunately I am not a Zwift engineer.

Yes it would be nice id Zwift could program more power curves for trainers with variable resistance, like your trainer that has many settings. but i guess they have a good reason for that.

Yes most trainers has a upper limit.

It look like it is time for a new trainer, or you can get a powertap wheel so you can have “real” power numbers and you can use any setting on your trainer.