To climb the Alpe in under an hour

Come on Lin, I know you can do it, 2.7 w/kg for the Alp segment. All it takes is becoming one with the computer.

I would love to give it ride in a big group w/double draft to see how low I could drop my time w/all the help :joy: However, since Feb I have been very limited to when and how long I can ride (twins :baby::baby:) That combined w/the horrible ToW scheduling makes it near impossible. For now, I try to get my hour in daily to maintain some semblance of fitness and more importantly my sanity :crazy_face:

3 Likes

And another legend falls in the name of family. Any other takers?

It is kind of funny because i’m suggesting putting out less effort than one normally would…

2.7 w/kg verified sub 60 and you get the props.

Twins and you’re getting an hour daily? Teach me :scream::joy:

FWIW, VeloViewer pulls your data from a Strava account - so you need to keep that. It’s been such a long time since I had just the basic ‘free’ strava account that I don’t really remember what data it does and does not give you access to. So, it’s possible that you’ll get ‘more’ out of veloviewer if you keep your premium strava account than you do w/ a free one - I don’t know.

That said, the nice thing about VeloViewer is that the ‘Pro’ subscription is relatively inexpensive. If I remember right, it was only something like $13 for a full year.

That’s what Team DIRT (Dads Inside Riding Trainers) is all about!

1 Like

That’s great! Looking at the calendar though… seems like lots of morning people! :sob:

I’m the complete opposite. During the week, all of my trainer time is after everyone else goes to sleep!

Hmmm no chance today, maybe just not enough people in the event to make use of the drafting. 89 people riding, and a group of 4/5 at the start of the climb but pretty soon it was me + 1 other guy dancing with each other up the Alpe with hardly anyone else within a minute forward or back, until a few turns from the top and he left me. Probably had enough of me hammering it on the bends only to then drop back in between :joy:

1:06 @ 2.8w/kg

• I think you’d need to be similarly matched weight wise with your climbing buddy because in this case he was bench so for the same w/kg he would go away from me at anything 7% and below, and then I would go past him at 10% and up.

Crazy Friday night obviously :joy::man_facepalming:

4 Likes

Nice effort!

I’m going to give it another crack tomorrow. This time I’m going to ride the Emonda, and will try to position myself off the back of a decent size group at the foot of the climb.

Finally managed on the 7pm (UK) Tour Stage 7. 57 mins, which was 13 minutes better than my previous. Started the climb in 7th, but ended in 20th, so mainly spent it with climbers going past me. The idea of gunning it round the turns helped break up the agony!

3 Likes

TRUE.

Alpe du Zwift 51:46 236w 3.74 wkg VAM 1201 — 22 May 2019
63 kg @165 cm, Tarmac, ses 3.4

1 Like

These are the kind of posts that make me feel a little better about what I am doing … I generally average more wattage than this up the Alpe (241 last time), but because I weight 110kg my fastest time is around 1:20. At least it seems to be my fat ■■■■ that is holding me back.

I did the Alp DoubleDraft again today with a goal of sub 60 under 2.8 w/kg on the Alp segment.

I think I know why I thought I entered the Zwift Matrix of efficiency after my first attempt which yielded a 2.8 w/kg average on the Alp segment now.

Something isn’t right with the way ZwiftPower calculates power and average w/kg on the Alp.

I had the ZP live data showing for today’s ride and I started the Alp segment at 2.7 w/kg average. Easy peasy, just maintain 2.7 w/kg average until the end and I’m gold. Well I did that and actually finished at 2.8 w/kg average for the ride because I could tell I was going to miss the sub 60 by a good margin.

But here’s the kicker, when looking at my Alp segment after on ZP, my average w/kg was only 2.4 @ 176 watts, which was for sure way off, I was right where the live data had me, at an average of around 2.8 @ 202 watts.

Segment result on ZP

Ride result on ZP

That said, I’m still pretty sure I could do a 2.7 w/kg sub 60 on the Alp with the modified ZP data. (because I could do 3.1 @ 225 watts to generate that result) :slight_smile:

hm, not sure about ZP. From my times 3.3 is a 59 or 60 minute effort while 3.2 is over 60 minutes.very few are truly steady (ergo style) efforts. But the average is pretty consistent even when doing intervals for an hour.

You are probably correct, but new challenge accepted. I do like to prove myself wrong. Alp segment sub 60 @ 3.1 w/kg when accurate data is available on Zwift or ZP.

Confirmed with ZP that there has always been a known bug with Alp segment watt data apperently. And also confirmed the Strava data is accurate through the same sources. In lieu of wanting to Strava, I wait for accurate data from Zwift or ZP. This seems like an easy fix to me.

To Zwift, how many websites must I subscribe to, to get get all I want from my Zwift experience? 2 is not enough? You want me to honor what, like 4 or 5 affiliates to get basic data about my segment times and virtual bike info beyond a ridiculous 4 star system that makes no sense?

Ride On and ELE.

So - read your challenge last week - and thought I’d give it a go. Best previous time was 70mins - I’m 97kgs - ftp 303. Gunned it in the turns - average power for the segment on strava 297W (3.06) gave a 62 min climb. So close.

2 Likes

Nice effort! Sorry you didn’t quite hit 1 hour. I still haven’t. What frame and wheels did you use?

My last and best ascent of the Alpe got me closest to sub 1hr - it was 1:00:00 on the dot. Sadly, I did not get the sub 1h badge, as I guess you have to go 59:59 or better. I rode the Tarmac Pro with SES wheels, and averaged 225 watts at a weight of 69kg for watt/kg of 3.26. That was in Feb, before the present lock down, so I bet if I rode the same power now, I could probably comfortably come under 1hr since there are likely to be so many people riding these days that drafting could make an appreciable difference in time.

I once tested https://www.bestbikesplit.com/ for Bologna, did anybody for Alpe?

See How to Pace Your Best Zwift Bologna TT Race | Zwift Insider