TDZ Stage 4 No Rider Positions

For me personally it is real fun, like on tuesday to overtake 300 other riders on Keith. :muscle:

2 Likes

I get your point but yes sadly, if you ran the London marathon as an amateur it might take you 30 mins to cross the start line at the back of the field. If you ran the race at world record pace then good for you. Only the pros start at the front and when all 2000+ riders randomly appear on a computer generated game I guess it canā€™t factor all this in? Maybe Iā€™m wrong and it can/should? At the end of the day I like the rankings in ride as it spurs me on. When I check later on zwiftpower I seem to move up or down by a couple. Donā€™t really care as Iā€™m in top 10-15% which for an oldie makes me happy. In the absense of the ingame rankings on stage 4 my power was down by 15w compared with my average on the first three stages so Iā€™d prefer it on. They really need a pro ride option for those that take it more seriously I guess.

2 Likes

Just did Stage 4 and I cannot believe they removed the live positions - what a great way to demotivate! If thereā€™s no position whatā€™s the point? May as well just do a workout, itā€™s all the same maps.

I donā€™t understand the argument that it was removed because the final position number may change, itā€™s not like winning the race actually does anything. The purpose of the live position is during the event itself - relative to other riders. Knowing your position really helps with pacing, motivation and keeping focus on the event. It doesnā€™t have to be accurate, it has to be relative.

6 Likes

I havenā€™t got to ride stage 4 yet as the app crashed a minute before the stage was due to startā€¦this is very disappointing to hear - while I am always at the back it was fun to see where I am relative to the group. Along with other inconsistencies that Iā€™ve seen in the earlier stages, it seems that Zwift are not ready to support these types of events which is resulting in a lot of frustration.

4 Likes

Hi all,

Iā€™m very surprised that Zwift HQ has not replied to this thread as they made
a number of comments during the 10am Stage 4 Tour de Zwift. (TDZ)

It was implemented I believe to try to avoid the in game crashes that
some/many have experienced during the TDZ series, due they say to
lower specified systems struggling with the number of users.

Those who dared to complain, where shot down in flames by other Zwifters,
basically telling them to go and find a race! Zwift HQ were very diplomatic.

I love Zwift and cannot thank them enough for the platform that they have
built. I feel that it is right to give them thanks for all they get right, LOTS,
and also let them know when things are wrong. It is a shame that the
placings have been removed as they were a great motivational tool.
So much so, even when I tell myself Iā€™m having an easy event this time,
I generally cook myself.

Maybe a different solution could be found. Maybe more stage events
ie on the hour every hour, either way I think I found the attitude of
various Zwifters just as disappointing as losing the rider positioning.
Some will treat the event as a race, some as training, others as a social.
No one is right, no one is wrong. But surely common sense would say
that if you take a well used function, off a Zwifter, then they will be unhappy.

Too long I know, sorry.
Love Zwift Ride On

4 Likes

I can see both sides as far as not having live positions in a group ride. It does help take the pressure off. But some people like the pressure and use group rides to challenge themselves. If itā€™s a ā€œ2-2.5 W/kgā€ ride, then of course people should stick to that. But the TdZ isnā€™t such an event. Itā€™s not ā€œa raceā€, but it is a challenge. For some the challenge is just to finish. For others itā€™s to finish as high as possible.

Personally, Iā€™d hate to see live positions permanently removed from group rides.

3 Likes

Am having same trouble since yesterday I tried 3x to join TDZ 4 but just to start it suddenly crashed and again I tried 2x today and same issueā€¦

Restore rider positions!!!

If there a serious bug solved by not not displaying riding positions then fine, I get it. Much more fun when I know where I am in the group.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve had a lot of issues with Companion App (Droid) losing connectivity in the first 3 stagesā€¦ typically right at the start. Zwift has been very responsive trying to address the issue and a new version of CA was downloaded Wednesday. Iā€™m seeing far fewer drops, which is good. But I really missed the rider positions in stage 4. I hope they didnā€™t have to eliminate rider position to gain stability.

1 Like

Zwift Bring back leaderboard! This is key to the ride experience (even if inaccurate after the race) leave it turned on for now and implement your fix when you have it!

2 Likes

I was really missing both the in game leaderbord and the post game results, when I completed the stage 4 of TDZ (21.00 CET).

On my ā€œrecovery ridesā€ I choose to ignore it, but when feeling ā€œcompetitiveā€ i really enjoy being able to follow my progress and I feel it adds a lot of motivation to my rides.

I completely agree with those feeling that leaderboard/results is an important feature in Zwift and I certainly do not hope it is gone for good.

Ride ON

1 Like

On another forum Zwift indicated the positions were removed due to complaints around it ā€œnot being a raceā€. And a that the majority of Zwifters participating find it frustrating that competition was introduced by the positions when it was not deemed one.

This makes no sense - the position does not make it a race defacto, it helps you understand the overall flow of riders around you and how you are performing relative to those around you. The people +/- 200 positions of you are having their own ride and youā€™re probably never going to see them. Whether you want to interpret the number as a race is up to you and good luck getting to #1 when we all know itā€™s more likely youā€™re #800 and just want to make sure to keep pushing yourself to not fall to #1500 and stick with the same group. Plus if you want to ride with someone else saying I am #X makes it possible to find each other - right now you have to say ā€œI am in the TDZ jerseyā€¦ā€, oh waitā€¦

1 Like

On/Off Leader board button perhaps, simple.

Speculation seems to be that the problem is the mass of data that suddenly gets delivered to clients upon finishing the race. Those lower down the order get a larger amount to deal with, and some computers canā€™t cope.

And the live positions are seemingly tied to the leaderboard - so they couldnā€™t easily remove that without also removing the live positions.

If thatā€™s true, then I assume theyā€™ll rework how the leaderboard operates, but it should be possible to bring it back.

Zwift should reply here, not on Facebook or any other forums.
I might be wrong but as far as I know this is the only official Zwift
forum.

We donā€™t all use Facebook.

There seem to be a number of possible fixes on this thread but no Zwift
feedback. So its difficult to know if the ideas are helpful or possible.

Meanwhile back at Zwift Central aka Watopia . . . . . . . . . .
great Zwift Fondo today. Big turnout and rider placings. Perhaps helped
by the staggered start of the event.

Cheers Zwift, cracking route and a very good workout.

RideOn

1 Like

It worked today during the Fondo.

1 Like
  1. If the problem is too much data to the client at the end of the race, make it a button to view the results so that it can buffer before being rendered or have a spinning wheel while the data is sent.

2. The fondo today was awesome :slight_smile:

3. Zwift said that the positions would be on for the fondo but they said it would be off for the rest of TDZ which I believe is what this thread is specifically discussing/complaining about (depends on your point of view).