Recently, we’ve been focusing on improving racing through efforts like improvements to Category Enforcement, Hardware Requirements, and the release of Pack Dynamics 4.
With the release of game version 1.39, we are focusing on making some improvements to PowerUps.
Update 5 May 11:30 PST: PowerUps changes listed below are now available. All Zwifters should be able to access game version 1.39 and are strongly encouraged to download game 1.39 before trying out the new changes.
Our aim with these changes is to:
- Make PowerUps feel more meaningful when you obtain them
- Allow PowerUps to be a stronger strategic tool you have during the course of a race to turn the odds in your favor
- Remove XP PowerUps from ever appearing in races by default
It’s important to note that these changes are not just limited to races, but will affect power ups across Zwift. This means you’ll also have the benefits of these changes during your free rides, group rides, or Pacer rides.
Below you’ll find all the information you need as well as a brief FAQ.
Changes being made:
- Aero Helmet: no changes.
- Draft Truck: increased duration from 30 to 40 seconds and the draft effect will be stronger.
- Feather: increased duration from 15 to 30 seconds
- Anvil: reduced duration to 15 seconds. Changed the weight addition to be a percentage of rider weight instead of a fixed 50kg in an effort to make it more useful for all riders, with an emphasis on lighter riders. The percentage of weight is not fixed, and is instead derived from a formula that will make it unique to every rider while still providing a useful benefit for riders of all weights.
- Burrito: increased duration from 10 to 20 seconds. Changed the behavior to only remove drafting from riders in a cone behind the rider instead of in a radius. The rider using the Burrito will still be able to draft other riders in front of them.
- Ghost: increased duration from 10 to 15 seconds. It is no longer possible to use this PowerUp when the rider is less than 400m from the finish line.
- Steam Roller: no changes.
- XP: removed from all competitive events by default. Event Organizers can still have XP PowerUps appear in their event by request.
It is also important to note that we are not making any changes to the way you obtain, use, or discard PowerUps. We are only making changes to their duration, behavior, or effects.
Implementation and future changes:
As mentioned above, these changes are live as of the release of game 1.39 and affect any PowerUps you obtain while in a race, group ride, free ride, Pacer Group, or any other time you’d get a PowerUp.
Additionally, our method of implementation and ability to make changes has been revamped. What this means is that any time we need to make a change to these PowerUps (or even revert changes) we are not dependent on future game releases to do so.
This also means we can act more quickly on feedback provided by the community when needed if changes made make a PowerUp too effective, almost completely ineffective, or are not working as we would intend them to.
As a result, we are not running dedicated test events like we did recently with Pack Dynamics 4. We will be monitoring this thread for feedback and taking note of what changes - if any - need to be made to improve the overall experience.
We ask for your feedback, and to keep that feedback relevant we will be locking this post within 14 days from its original post date.
Enjoy the changes, and let us know what you think!
How can I experience the changes to PowerUps?
- Make sure you are on the latest version of Zwift. After that, all you need to do is ride on Zwift and pass under an arch as normal. The changes to the PowerUps are automatically in effect.
Are the changes to PowerUps only available in races?
- No, they are available everywhere you can obtain a PowerUp. This means you’ll experience the changes in free rides, group rides, Pacer Group rides, and elsewhere.
Are XP PowerUps completely removed from Zwift now?
- No, they are only removed by default from races. You will still see XP PowerUps outside of races or if the race organizer has opted to include XP PowerUps in their race.
Has interacting with PowerUps been changed in any way? Do I need to do anything differently while Zwifting to use them or discard them?
- No. You will still obtain, use, or discard PowerUps in the same way.
I’m a race organizer, do I have to do anything differently to have the newly changed PowerUps in my race?
- No you don’t. All changes to PowerUps are automatically in effect.
I’m a race organizer and I want to have XP Power Ups in my race. Can I?
- Yes! If you choose to have XP PowerUps in your race, you simply need to ask the event staff at Zwift to include them for you.
I’m a race organizer and I want to customize the Power Ups effects or use the old Power Ups effects in my race. Can I?
- No. Though we are making changes to Power Ups, that doesn’t mean we have the ability for customization of those Power Ups at this time.