Power zone and heart rate zone large gap

I started to use Zwift few days ago (did my 20 minute FTP test yesterday).

Today I was doing my ‘easy’ zone 2 workout, but my power zone 2 was really high compared to my heartrate.

So from my FTP test, I got that my FTP was 272W. This puts my lower zone 2 @ around 150W. But riding today at this intensity my heartrate was in very high zone 3 at the end even in zone 4 (160 AVG BPM for 90 minute ride). My resting heart rate is around 56 and I have had my heart rate reach 205-210 BMP during very intense runs or road races in previous season (im 25 years old)…

Any idea what should I do? Maybe I was a bit tired today also, yesterday I did the FTP test and also went XC skiing for an hour. The day before that I did my long indoor ride at around 140W for 2h 30 minutes, had 138BPM during that ride. Also I didnt eat before my ride and my dinner was 5 hours before my workout…

My swift setup is:

elite qubo power mag with resistance set at the third level

garmin speed sensor on my rear wheel and garmin cadence sensor

my heart rate recorded with garmin fenix 3 HR

How long have you been training Matiss, that is, how much data have you accumulated over your training so far?

There a many, many variables at work here, as an ex-personal trainer I would not begin to assess an athletes performance with so little data to work from.

One item that drew my attention was your activity the day of your FTP assessment.

FTP assessments are by definition brutal, XC skiing is also a demanding discipline. 

I would have prescribed a complete rest day maybe two before continuing training even if that training is active recovery.

I’m not sure this forum is the best place to advise on methods of training for performance. If you have more data, say, on Strava, I will take a look. If not, you need to accumulate more numbers on which to base a more accurate assessment.

Ride On!

Hey Paul, thanks for the reply!

I started to actively work out one year ago around this time actually. During the winter time I started to run (ran my first marathon in may) but at spring I started to cycle competitively. At the end of summer and early autumn I was in good shape, did long rides (100-200km+) almost every week, had decent results in road races(could stay with the fastest packs, at the last major race on september would have finished in very good position if I hadn’t crashed 1km before the end :D)

I only started to use strava mid july, and I got my Garmin fenix only this autumn so it doesnt have all of my workouts but has some…

My strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/21138568

All my workouts are on endomondo, not sure if this link works for others: https://www.endomondo.com/profile/29583681

Well I think that my training the previous year wasnt that good I think I was doing my workouts at too high intensity (running definitely and cycling mostly in tempo zone) so I really dont want to keep doing this mistake now :frowning:

OK, follow me on Strava and will follow you back, that way I can see your sessions and offer some advice

I would suggest looking into reading some of Joel Friel’s books. His latest one is his most popular. Yes it is a Triathlon book, but almost all of the training theory’s transfer over to cycling: https://www.amazon.com/Triathletes-Training-Bible-Worlds-Comprehensive/dp/1937715442/ref=la_B001JP0ANM_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1517949532&sr=1-4&refinements=p_82%3AB001JP0ANM

He has a lot of other books that are dedicated to cyclist to: https://www.amazon.com/Joe%20Friel/e/B001JP0ANM/ref=la_B001JP0ANM_pg_2?rh=n%3A283155%2Cp_82%3AB001JP0ANM&page=2&sort=date-desc-rank&ie=UTF8&qid=1517949532

Normally I don’t fuel trolls but seeing my last comment got marked down, I thought I’d make an addition to my earlier comments:

I am an ex-personal trainer, I am 60 yrs of age. For some 42 of those years I have been offering advice on all levels of physical and mental fitness.

I am fully qualified in all the relevant areas and have advised both professional and amateur athletes.

These days I do not take new clients and do not accept rewards, financial or otherwise. If an athlete asks for advice, I offer advice - that is all.

Below is a typical scenario I am asked to comment on:

So, today the book tells me I should be doing this, this and this but I don’t feel comfortable, I’m sure I felt a strain on that last cycle ride. I’m also finding I feel a little sick in the stomach when I recharge using carb-gels made by such-and-such.

The book does not tell me what to do in this case - how should I proceed? 

In such cases one-on-one is the best strategy for on-going athletic performance increases. But please, don’t take my word for it.

Paul,

I guess that was directed at me even though I didn’t mark your reply down. I just posted another alternative and reading some of those books can help you better understand what training you should be doing (and the training your coach assigns to you).

Just because they are a coach does not automatically mean they know whats best for you. This is not directed at you Paul, just a statement that needs to be made. There are a lot of self coached professional triathletes that do extremely well and there are some that sign up for a coach and crash and burn. One size does not fit all.

If I were to try and find a coach, the first thing they would look at it my training history and assign workouts based on that. This would be a huge mistake. They would probability never try and get a medical history. The would never know I have asthma, allergies, have one leg shorter (bike fitters ignore this and I end up adjusting the fit), have one armed turned and bend from injuries and many other issues. Training that works for others very rarely works for me. I have had to do a lot of trial and error to find what works and there is no way a coach would have been comfortable with that.

I know you will down vote this reply, but not everyone is the same and that is how most coaches work.