Pace Partners Weekly Update - W/C 4th July

Just a bit of feedback on this event, as I was there today as a category enforced C, completely out of my depth as a 2.5W/kg performer at best (more realistically 2.2-2.3). I don’t mind the pacer being at the top of the category, but category enforcement makes it a miserable experience for those at the bottom of the cat. I gave it my best shot, but it was futile. I would have much preferred the challenge at top of D, but simply not allowed. Do we need category enforcement for these events?

Thanks for your feedback Tim.

I want category enforcement for these events in the same way I want them for any others - to stop people entering outside of category and spoiling the experience.

I chose the top end of the category for the pacing as I felt that a) most of the category would be able to draft (sorry this wasn’t the case for you) and b) to try to ensure that the Chase Partner wasn’t dropped.

Thanks for the effort you put in and sorry it wasn’t the greatest experience for you - this is why we test!

1 Like

i seem to have lost access to pace partners?
i thought i selected a route then they pp choices showed up at least thats the way i think i did it almost daily for quite a while now. something changed recently?
have they moved to some other screen?

1 Like

It should be there. Can you try closing the app and then reopening it?

There should be better messaging from the game when you’re going out of range for the multiplier. It should tell us how close we need to be to the bot (not just how far away we are), and there should be a countdown timer for getting back into that range. I also think the “bubble” should be bigger and the countdown more lenient.

Dynamic pacing on hilly routes makes it difficult to stay within a strict range of the bot. I did a couple rides with Coco on Figure 8 last week and it was an exercise in frustration. Lost my multiplier several times when I increased pace to keep up on a climb, went over the top a bit too hot, and went out of range as the bot was still going up as I was descending. Then if you try to “Let C. Cadence Catch Up”, you have to slow down so much that braking kicks in and she flies past and drops you on the descent.

Rode with D. Draft on Tempus yesterday and enjoyed it. D. Draft is the new C. Cadence… nice low Z2 steady cruise.

1 Like

tried that multiple times, rebooted as well, also tried routes and just ride.
not sure when PP disappeared, as i had to take some time off for tendonitis, but i used to ride PP almost daily. the PP access used to be where my red square is right?

Yep, exactly there. It normally loads up after the main home screen does, but I’ve never seen it not load.

i re-ran the zwiftsetup.exe as admin, still not showing up.

Just wanted to say that PPs are one of the best parts of zwift. I have enjoyed the evolution of the PPs over the past 2 years. Keep it up. I like the variance on the ascents/descents. Definitely gives it a more real-world feel. Keep on refining!! Big part of why I continue to ride on zwift. Side note - chase races are awesome. Look forward to developments. I’ll keep an eye out.

2 Likes

Agreed. D. Draft is awesome cruising pace. Found myself gravitating towards Draft more frequently.

2 bits of feedback from the excellent Chase Race.
I’m C cat and pace was spot on.
First pic is :grinning:

Second pic is :unamused: - my team mates in race all said they saw PP differently as well

Thanks - That issue should be fixed next week.

Nice job on the FTP bump :slight_smile:

1 Like

Literally, right here you say we will likely end up with 8 Pace Partners. There is no reference to “only in watopia”, in the comment or in the quoted comment.

Now, the comment “There will be an 8 Route Rotation”. This could be explained more thoroughly. Here are some of the ways it could be interpreted.

• each pace maker will have its own 8 routes, they may or may not be the same as any other pace maker.
  • each pace maker will go through the list, one at a time, no two pace makers will be on the same route at the same time.
  • Pace makers will be on an 8 route rotation, but half of those routes will be in makuri so we’re down to a 4 route rotation.

Would it be right to say that: We plan on having 8 pace partners in watopia, a number of other pace partners on other “worlds” filling in the gaps in w/kg and adding additional routes. For the pace partners in watopia we hope to settle on 8 routes, each pace partner going through each route one at a time, with no two pace partners using the same route simultaneously.

Also, How does adding completely new pace partner events not dilute the experience, but adding more pace partners does dilute the experience. The Venn diagram between people who will use event pace partners and people who use normal pace partners has got to be very close to a circle.

The only thing I see, when I google zwift riders, is a facebook group that calls itself “an unofficial fan forum”. Is this what you’re referring to?

Looking at that group:
Rule 1: Don’t be a Jerk:
That’s it. Don’t have anything nice to say? Keep it to yourself. Want to be snarky and earn internet points? Take it with you on the way out. Grow up, be an adult, and be supportive.

The description of the rule is literally snarky.
adjective

1. critical or mocking in an indirect or sarcastic way.

If it necessary to read the forum every day to make sure I don’t miss something, let me know and I can do that to make sure I don’t miss information that has been “mentioned a number of times…[in various different places]”.
Cheers.

Really enjoyed the pace partner chase race, cat enforced to C and was a little worried that I would end up drafting the whole event when I saw the Cpp holding 3.2 wkg. I got a few pulls in and came away feeling I had done a good session, will be doing more for sure. Stream also available on YouTube :+1:

1 Like

Joining the D in France fired me through some fields and a house before launching me at 70kph some half a kilometre further up the road than the group. Worked second time.

Denise on RGV or Danni on Tempus Fugit, riding on alternate days as can’t choose, both excellent.
Coco who? (Coco, best debut on Zwift ever? instant classic back in the simpler days of Tempus Fugit :slight_smile: )

Keep up the good work @James_Zwift

1 Like

Hi James - why isnt dynamic pacing applied to the stretches of gravel on Watopia? IRL, pace would rise on approach to them and over them, and then a short period of recovery. Thoughts?

Hey Callum,

Sorry if you think I’ve been misleading in any way, that’s not my intent.

To clarify, there will be 8 Pace Partners in Watopia as well as other’s in other worlds (as there currently are in Makuri/France). I’ll post something more official once everything is set in stone.

Re. Zwift Riders, it’s the largest Zwift Facebook group, official or not.

1 Like

Hi Gareth,

We’re only able to update dynamic pacing in terms of gradient, not terrain.

Thanks, thats interesting. Does that mean too that you cant apply dynamic pacing to (for example) a whole climb (ie a segment) where there may be sections under 3% but its still part of the whole climb, so to speak?