No Linux support yet?

+1 for linux support

6 Likes

+1 for linux support

6 Likes

+1 for linux support

6 Likes

I’m sorry, Zwift, until there’s some sort of Linux support I’m not paying for the licence. I’m not installing a
Windows setup just for Zwift.

7 Likes

+1 for Linux support.

8 Likes

+1 Linux Support

8 Likes

Come on boys… LINUX is the future!!!
I’m sure your servers are in any kind of linux machine…
Do you wanna be BIG? DO IT!!!

7 Likes

Well, the reason I use Apple TV for Zwift (It is the only use I have for ATV) is because every computer I own is Linux.

I don’t care much for a Linux version of Zwift. I know how difficult it would be to do right and Zwift is already trying to be everything to everyone else with four platforms. The hundred ways of doing things in Linux would be a major resource suck. What I would like to see are usability improvements (ATV is awkward) and fixes to existing platforms.

2 Likes

+1 Linux Support

6 Likes

Earlier in this thread is a link to an ancient 2017 post from a Zwift staff member detailing why this isn’t going to happen and suggesting that an Apple TV is a suitable replacement. As I was reading that, I thought “okay, sounds fair,” but it didn’t take much research to learn that it isn’t – Zwift Releases Apple TV App: Everything you need to know | DC Rainmaker

Currently I’m using my MacBook Pro, with a USB ANT+ dongle, as my Zwift device. This works well. All of my sensors connect and stay connected, whereas with Bluetooth they constantly drop in and out due to interference. The parts I don’t like about it is having to setup my laptop each time and the fact that it generate so much sustained heat (which is definitely going to shorten the life of the laptop).

I would very much like to setup a simple Linux box to run Zwift. Given it would be a utility device, I don’t even care what distribution is required to tick off the “supported” checkbox. Building a dedicated Linux system for this is super easy and would retain the most compatibility. Apple TV is not a solution to anything.

5 Likes

Then why not just build a simple Windows machine?
You can use the same hardware.
You can get an old Win7 Key for almost nothing on ebay.
Too much hate for MS? :rofl:

1 Like

Btw a Linux box will be faster a lot. And you may want to update the operating system and firewall the host. Easy if Linux, not so with W7 end of life.
Paolo.

1 Like

You can upgrade a Win7 with Win10 for free.
And Linux is not faster as Windows.
That’s a myth.
I have a lot of Linux and Windows systems here.

But to put all of that aside…
It’s easy: You need the right tool for the job. Or, if you want to use Zwift, you need a device with a OS that’s supported by Zwift.

1 Like

Really looking forward to a Linux release as this is now my everyday OS.

5 Likes

Hello,

I see some old requests for Linux support, and wanted to check and see if there was any hope that this was something that would be added. It would be great to support an open source software for those without windows or mac OS products.

4 Likes

Hi all, good news. Thanks to wentam42’s workaround found here (see comment #7), Zwift in Linux is working using Wine.

I was not able to get sensors to connect directly; I’m using a BLE PowerTap SCS and the extent of Bluetooth support appears to be immature. Connecting using Zwift Companion works however.

Here’s an abridged video showing the process:

(sorry for the double-post; I could not find a way to edit my previous reply)

4 Likes

Thank you so much for working through this on wine! I used your steps to load Zwift successfully on my Linux box! Also maybe Zwift will have to make a Linux port given:

And what he’s saying is that there is a lot of non-crossover between Windows users and Linux users. I would love to use Zwift, but I use Linux exclusively. So their calculation can’t possibly include me or any other people like me. Oh well, I’d totally be up for helping with a port too, but nobody seems to want my money.

2 Likes

A Linux version might not make sense but a cursory thought is PWA using canvas, web assembly for the graphics processing and web usb to connect your ant+ dongle (or intents to bridge to a simple native app that reads the daya) and you’d basically serve PC with one app, just open a browser. FYI I haven’t looked into the specifics, but I don’t imagine it’s that hard. USB - Web APIs | MDN

1 Like

I do think it would make sense to have native linux support beyond WINE.
That could open the door to create all-in-one devices based (for example) on RaspberryPI that had everything installed and ready to play. A user would only have to switch it on, connect to the TV/monitor, configure the wifi and connect the sensors.
That would be very cheap compared to the current alternatives.The fact the hardware is known would ease the support part and reduce the amount of issues that we all face when starting on Zwift :slight_smile:

2 Likes