New Zwift Home Screen Update [April 2022]

When I first got it:

The scaling option defaults to Medium, but this is too big on a 1080p display. It’s spot on for a 1440p display, so I assume it’s too small for a 4K display. I use 1440p on my main rig so didn’t have to change anything, but I suspect 1080p is by far the most commonly used display.

But then @Gordon_Rhino-Racing said Medium was fine on his 4K display, so I dunno how it works tbh. Maybe affected by Windows scaling setting.

4K TV screen on the Zwift Mac.

Although my other Mac which I mainly use for work has the 5K LG Ultrafine 5120x2880.

Anything less than extra large is hard to read from a distance.

The main issue for me is it seems to be upside down, for me the top half of the default screen is mostly empty and the bottom half (not viewable without scrolling) is too full and requires horizontal scrolling.

I want to be able to select the worlds page as default as this is where i always go to start my ride.

Also loaded a workout for the first time this morning and it was a mess and was far easier on the old home screen set up.

4 Likes

TBH I am one ancient Zwifter (early Beta) who does not read the script and will just go hands on to figure out how the UI will work.

Frankly I managed to get around quickly by intuition and knowledge of how Zwift possibly mish mash functionality sequentially (sometimes lack of).

I asked myself then if I am the average user of Zwift, I probably ended up in a spiral of death in Montemzuma’s pyramid after getting lost in the challenging layout presented.

Also, I scaled my UI to 3 small because my course of work involves data analytics and reading small numbers… but 4 at Medium is the best sized but simply won’t fit my 4K monitor (27"). Honestly this is not acceptable if the scaling does not automatically size up the boxes and layout… come on Zwift do better.

2 Likes

Hey Stuart…Your joking about your fix with the left button right? I tried that and yes you can scroll down but the right side icons are cut in half and you can’t move them over. So no…your fix is only half right. I find it very disconcerting that I would even have to scroll on a 55 inch freakin’ TV! Really?

Have you changed the Home Screen Scaling setting yet?

1 Like

Yeah, and then there’s also the OS-level UI scaling (mine is set to 125% on the PC), wondering if that is being taken into account…

:popcorn:

8 char

1 Like

This is a nightmare. It’s very cumbersome to get to frequently ridden routes. I ride 2-3 times a day and mostly one route if not with a group or meetup. Having to go to world and then sort and then choose is problematic. It would be nice if it could at least put me back in the last route I rode in that world, which the old Home page did. Why did y’all change this. I noticed a real problem this morning when I tried to late join a Pack ride. First the reason I had to late join is that when I pressed Join Event from my free ride, Zwift closed on me after saying Moving you to event. I then had to sign back into Zwift from the beginning. Then when I went to the Home page I thought joining the event from the Home page would be the fastest. Wrong! I was put in the pens and started from there. I was not put with the leader or the first group. This also happened yesterday when I was 25 minutes late and started from the pens. I ended, went on a free ride and then Joined Event and was put with other riders. I saw a lot of people who were having to do the same thing. This is crazy! It is very cumbersome to quit Zwift. This is really a major step back to get a few upgrades.

1 Like

For those of you experiencing issues with the scaling of the home screen, please see if this great post that @Dave_ZPCMR put together fixes your problem: New home screen data too big or too small? Change the Home Screen Scaling.

Thought I’d try some more tinkering with the new screen. This is on a Macbook Air M1, screen size 2880x1800, no OS scaling is used. I posted earlier what the full screen looks like with medium home screen scaling in the settings, Only two lines of the tiles were visible, Missions and Find Some Company. If I wanted to see Just Ride and Workouts I had to scroll down.

The picture attached is a composite of 4 screenshots of the full desktop screen. I have reduced the size of the screenshot by 50% simply so you don’t have to look at a 6000x3600 pixel image. In Zwift I set the home screen scaling to very small.

Starting in the top left we can now see 3 rows of tiles instead of the 2 rows we could see with medium scaling. The fourth row, workouts, is still off the bottom of the screen.

One odd thing I have found is reducing the width of the Zwift window changes the height of the rows of tiles. In the next image (top right) you can see the width of the window is about two thirds of the desktop but the tiles have shrunk and we can finally see that elusive fourth row. Hurray. But, that sixth workout is still off the right of the screen. Notice also how the top menu of icons has shrunk as well.

Now here is where the problem is, this scaling of the tile size is not linear. You’d think that if I just stretched that window a bit more horizontally then the sixth workout icon would fit on screen. But if I do that the height of the tiles jumps up to the same size as they are in the top left pic. Arrgghh.

The other two screenshots on the bottom row show that as the window gets narrower the tiles get shorter but the tiles never quite fit in width wise. The fifth or sixth tile is always just off the right edge. And the top row just keeps getting smaller. Both of these screenshots on the bottom row were taken right at the point where increasing the width of the window causes the tiles to jump up in height.

What I’d like, is the size of the tiles in the top right screenshot but in the top left screenshot. At that scaling all four rows would fit on screen both height and width wise without any scrolling needed. Also, the top icons would at least be a useable size.

But this is Zwift. It’s taken years to get to this point so I don’t expect anything to change. I just hope that someone at Zwift gets a clue and realises that this UI is going to be a disaster on mobile devices. Scrolling around screens on mobile is not ideal. Plus, the size of that top row on mobile is not going to work.

What I could imagine occurring on mobile is having groups of tiles for each category, each category is a row and you might swipe left and right between the tiles in the category.

Then scroll up down between categories.

The icons at the top maybe with some sort of hamburger icon and then a fly out.

Problematic… nah… it’s just basicly stupid - I just want to get on and ride my previous route ( which often is only used as a starting point ) with one click, and not almost as much clicking and typing as if I was one of the developers :thinking::wink:

BooX

4 Likes

2 tips:

1. add some labels to the icon bar. Icons with no labels is a basic accessibility error and easily fixed.

2. make these cards movable by the user – right now the 2 cards I actually need are way to the right and I can’t access them without moving the entire card bar.

Basically there was nothing wrong with the old UI.

8 Likes

pretty much this.

6 Likes

Couldn’t get to settings and garage without starting a ride, one of which is basically never changed more than once and the other whilst illogical was of little inconvenience for anyone apart from those who like to change their bike/kit very regularly. There was one use-case scenario that made sense - joining a friend/event and wanting to be on the right bike beforehand. 50% of which isn’t available right now anyway. :rofl: That’s about it.

The other really poor historical UI stuff was either already fixed or isn’t notably improved.

It’s not unusual for people to resist change, but it helps if there are tangible benefits for everyone.

Moving the settings and garage to the old home screen would have been very easily doable.

The rest of it seems worse to me, everything requires more clicks/scrolling than it used to.

I don’t mind change but, call me old fashioned, I prefer change that improves things! Haha

2 Likes

Overall I’m ok with the new UI and think it’s an improvement over the old one, but neither are perfect.

For doing free rides I find it better, having the world and routes on the same screen makes it easier to flip between worlds while looking at routes and then when you pick one it’s straight to the ride.

For the first time in ages I did a workout that wasn’t in a training plan just because I saw one that looked interesting from the Home Screen and clicked it and did it.

I actually never noticed that Zwift defaults to your last route and I’m pretty sure it didn’t do this with me. Not sure if this is because there are multiple users (with multiple accounts) using the same device.

It would have defaulted to the last route on the world it displays but it wouldn’t necessarily have displayed the last world you rode. So if you last did the flat route on watopia it might have displayed the Innsbrucking route if that world was selected.

I think the world displayed was random, or I never noticed any pattern anyway!

As primarily an AppleTV user, the old home screen was as much garbage as the OG Apple remote is. It may have worked ok with a PC mouse but not so well with a touchpad or even the touch screen of my Surface PC.

While the new home screen isn’t perfect, I think it can be improved with some minor tweaks. I haven’t played with it much, but is is a definite improvement using my PC setup over the old UI…