Navigation Bar Updates [Feb 2023]

having a clickable arrow might help ease some of the problems with horizontal scrolling in the meantime?

so you don’t have to click and drag, just click and it scrolls to the next few items.

1 Like

Thanks @Charlie_CC for the update on this… Good to see feedback is being taken on board!

Just incase you missed my original post, I had another idea which could be included in the Profile Dropdown. Not something that would benefit me (as I’m always heading to the forums after an update :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:), but I honestly think this is a gap and would ensure more Zwifters are aware of new features following each update.

2 Likes

I don’t think people will intuitively know that this opens a menu. It’s the same issue as the icons you are seeking to replace.

I think it would be much better to put the sub-menu behind a three-line “hamburger”, as by now that is widely understood.

13 Likes

It’s interesting because the two icons that were promoted are the two I never use. I’m already paired by the time I get to this screen (I only have one pairing setup so I don’t change things once I get through pairing), and I’m on iPad, so I just close the app like I close other apps without using an exit button.

That said, I do sometimes go into my achievements or garage. So, this actually makes the things I personally would do harder, while adding cruft to the top level. Again, it’s not a huge deal, just interesting that the change is really only going to make things I do more difficult.

Also, I did like the term “Routes” instead of “Worlds”. Not sure why - I think it’s because my actual end goal is to select a route, not a world.

2 Likes

Yes, what Gerrie says

I often revisit pairing before a race after I put on the HRM that I wasn’t using during the warmup

I agree.

This new icon doesn’t make as much sense to me as the previous one. What’s it supposed to be?

(I understand that’s it’s the pairing screen/paired devices, but not what the icon represents)

1 Like

@Jon_Wakefield Thanks for rethreading! Love the idea of being able to let the community know what the latest updates are. I’ll bring this to the team.

@Daren good callout on making sure that the avatar button is more intuitive. We’ll investigate and test with folks.

1 Like

Maybe that’s the difference, I just put my HR monitor on ahead of launching Zwift every time, I warm up with it on etc.

Just another point on this one. If you select the globe today it goes to a screen titled “Explore Routes”, not “Explore Worlds”. So if the text was “Routes” and it went to a page saying “Explore Routes” that would still make sense.

1 Like

An alternative can be to have a > pointing down to indicate that it can be expanded.

5 Likes

Icons are good for people who can’t read the text, or have difficulty reading. They can be faster to recognise than reading.

I feel you should explore using both the icon and the words.

(not to scale)

10 Likes

I don’t think that’s as widely recognised, and when it is it tends to be in the context of an accordion, in my experience at least.

It’s also less standardised as to whether the ˅ is used in the open or closed position.

Similarly, I’ve already paired when I get here so seldom use that option. But I do sometimes want to change my bike or jersey before I start riding - particularly if I’m on the wrong bike and intend to join a Pace Partner - so being able to get to the garage more easily is of greater value to me.

1 Like

I like the Hamburger button idea.

Also Garage and Exit icons a bit bigger.

Paired devices can be under the Hamburger button. But I would keep the Number of paired devices visible in the home screen, it is helpful to see you have everything paired.

I personally prefer Icons, it took two clicks to learn.

Edit: I like Daren’s icon and text option.

4 Likes

There should be Icons AND written description to keep it inclusive for the visually impaired or people with dyslexia, like Daren said.

5 Likes

I tend to agree.

…and a “globe” icon is also up for interpretation - does it mean “connect to the online community?”

Change it to a route or map icon - no misinterpreting that, you’re selecting “the place where you pick a route”: :world_map: (I don’t actually like that one…I’ll find something in a sec…editing…)

6-Route_map-256-473286331

If I’m honest (and I love Zwift so it pains me to say this)… I’m a little dismayed this is being left to the community to crowd source ideas.

Poach a rockstar design team from the Garmin Aviation group, Rockwell-Collins avionics team, Apple, or someone like Ian Spalter and tell them to do a clean sheet design based on good UI/UX principles.

3 Likes

Can’t win, can’t lose with some. Its not being left to the community, the discussion did start with a proposal, and its good that they have asked for people’s views. If you think that’s wrong and don’t want your opinions and ideas sought, you don’t have to respond, so this approach actually works for everyone.

5 Likes

I don’t read it as us being used to crowdsource ideas. They have had the ideas, and are field testing them and asking for user feedback. I’d say that’s at least as valuable as pulling in a third party - who would still need to get user feedback on the new design, ideally. We’re the people who have to use it, after all.

2 Likes

I think it’s good they put some ideas out ahead of release and ask for feedback. It’s possible we bring a perspective they might not have thought about.

That said: You put out a design and you’ll get 100s of different opinions because everyone uses the product differently: That’s expected. On a forum just a couple of people’s opinions might overshadow the opinions of a larger group because the forum likely tends to skew towards more engaged users which will use the product differently than other demographics etc. The challenge for a designer/PM is to be able to produce something that is overall better as a result of the feedback rather than trying to make everyone happy - In UX design it is almost impossible to make everyone happy, you can get as many differing opinions as there are people in the room, so you need to have a clear problem you are solving, some base principles to help guide you and an idea of what success looks like (as well as what failure would look like) so you know if you’ve succeeded, or if you need to do another iteration etc…

2 Likes