Left standing at start of Toue De Zwift

Sounds good, (from a complete ignoramus). Make no mistake - Zwift has changed my life!!! It’s -5 F out there with a 20 MPH wind! I ain’t takin’ a bike out of this house til April… This amazing program is going to keep me in shape and even improve me over the winter. Amazing… PLEASE continue to make it as user -friendly as possible. It’s these damned mobile phones that vex me. Mine is junk. but not wast money on another one…

Lone Woof

I get a big thrill from forming a pace line of “less-then” riders, and gradually puling up to the big guns using teamwork. it is tremendously satisfying, and a great social bonding thing. Corny but true.

Lone Woof

AlexanderPerdon:

who comes in first starts first.

i was thinking about that but then it may happen that you get in a mix of slow riders and don’t have many to draft off. I get it that with 100 random people there must be a few that is the same ability.

But I think it can be fun to be grouped with similar riders.

I also think if Zwift can test the process with these big tour events they can start something similar in Races.

Thanks for your advice, I will send rhe request.

Hi all,
Im experiencing different issues with zwift, i have a really good dell laptop (dell I5 windows 10) with a brand new samsung galaxy S9 (i run companion with) and a cycleops powerbeam pro bluetooth. To me the problem is simple , every time i tried to do a big event (like TDZ) everything work fine during the warmup, all my devices are connected and when i start …boom all my devices stop working !..after that i have to try all kind of manipulations like restart the phone, go in the menu and manually disconnect everything and try to reconnect, the little signal on the top left of the screen is popping on …off…on …off …it is really frustrating to miss the start like that ! i do a lot of training plans, single ride and everything work fine so i am sure the problem is large event.

Now my biggest problem is the zwift technical support, im pretty sure today if i write that to them they will tell me :reboot your router, make sure you have a wired connection …bla bla bla …can you just be honest and tell me you are experiencing technical issues and ill be happy with that !..last time they trow me a free month subscriptioon but no answers.

last funny bug i had i was trying to paired my devices and another trainer (kickr crank) was connected to my avatar and my avatar was cycling haha

anyway i really enjoy zwift but now im avoiding big events because i don’t have anymore wall in the room to punch in (haha joking) .

Sorry english not my first language

Hi @Mathieu_Plourde I am not going to tell you to restart your router. LOL

But I am going to point you to a tool that may help you locate the problem if it is on your side.

Can you go to zwiftalizer.com and put the log file of a normal ride and look at your FPS and network, then take the log file of the big event and look at the FPS and network.

Even thou you have a dell I5 you need to make sure it has a good GPU (Graphics card)

You are welcome to post your findings and I will see if I can help.

Thanks Gerrie for your answer ! i will try what you said and come back with that info.

but if you look at this :https://support.zwift.com/en_us/what-are-the-minimum-device-requirements-for-zwift--S1C6I6OB7 im pretty sure im way over the minimum requirement and nothing say :you need the top requirement to handle big events.

anyway ill try what you said and look at the numbers

Thanks

So I just completed stage 7 - Much smaller group ~680 riders. No bluetooth dropouts or crashes. Continues to support my theory that it is a load based server side issue with the companion app.

@Mathieu_Plourde: It all depend on what generation I5 you have. Most Gen 3’s has intel HD 2500 and that is below spec.

@Alexander_McLeod: You may be correct, my personal feeling is that in these big events the PC has to work so hard to render the graphics that it looses focus of all other processes going.

I don’t think its a graphical processing element. My Alienware Alpha runs much more taxing things - plus the data isn’t being processed on the PC side (power input/HR monitor etc.). If it were simply the PC unable to keep up, you’d expect the companion app to continue to report data, and it doesn’t, the sensors ‘go dead’ in the app. The PC simply is reading information from the server and showing an output.

I totally agree with your theory Alexander

Update - Stage 7 (A), 6 PM CET.
Zwift @ desktop PC, CompApp @ HTC U11.
At start 5:40, connect BT Polar HR and P2M powermeter, warm up, no issues.
Start OK, riding, after 0.2 km lost connection (no signal reported). This time after the start line - time running…
New start CompApp, connect, OK, started. At this moment come the people riding B distance - lost connection again. Disconnected, CompApp stop and start again, ladies C distance coming through… and I can go, with 0.2 km in 5 minutes done.

Had NEVER issues riding training, this was the 3rd of 7 Stages with the same problems, once been sent wrong direction (London, known issue). Less than 50% success - if I would be working this way, would have no job.

This was my 1st event - and seems to be the last one.

I am seeing a trend here correct me if I am wrong, @Milan_Rost, @Mathieu_Plourde and @Alexander_McLeod all of you use zwift on a PC with the Companion app relaying the Bluetooth data?

Yes sir! Seems like the following in common: Android companion app reporting bluetooth data. All the same ‘dropout effect’ on large group rides. Obviously some kind of underlying cause. I can’t speak for anyone else, but my apps and firmware are all up to date.

1 Like

Hey all, I’m forwarding your reports over to our departments best at investigating these issues. Thank you for all of your responses!

1 Like

I’m not arguing your point that a strong PC should have no trouble, but there is processing of the watts and HR on the PC side. It is sent over WiFi from the companion app to the PC. Using Windows resource monitor you can see the IP activity, and the activity is shown in the Zwift logs. If WiFi chokes for any reason, for even a second or more the data is gone on the PC side. If you are feeling geeky you can setup a quick batch file or firewall rule to stop traffic from the phone only and leave the Zwift server communicating. The data on the PC screen dies in seconds.

It does make sense in some respects. When the Zwift server latency goes sky high during a big event, I still get quick response on the PC screen, and at my trainer for that matter. Well … unless it is the start of an event when my power, cadence, and HR all go out for no good reason.

@Vincent_Williams1
If it helps the Zwift development, OK - but is not a big problem for me. Zwifting since Dec 23 2018, going outside in March/April again.

Thanks, just a question - can I use ANT+ connection (for my P2M powermeter) and BLE for Polar HR, or is this “mix” not possible?

I’ve left my resource monitor open during my last few rides, and it tells a different story. Instead of immediately flipping to the paring screen, I switched to the monitor to see what is up right when an TDZ event starts and my system records no power, cadence, or HR. The Zwiftapp.exe is having problems. It is in a waiting state, mostly reporting delayed network packets in the Zwift log file about the state of the other riders on the screen. Oddly, the CPU usage is fine. The GPU has a dropping FPS, but it is associated with a LOWER GPU load. It is like the game isn’t trying to render anymore for a second or two. All of this is happening while the Android companion app drops the BT connection and refuses to reconnect. The local network latency is very small and consistent.

So yea, ZwiftApp.exe is working (waiting) really hard to do something, but the PC is actually taking a bit of a break during this time.

1 Like

I mix both: BT with waho kicker power, and Garmin HRM Dual (through my desktop PC with USB Bluetooth dongle— NOT USING ZWIFT COMPANION APP-- its closed and off , and ANT+ USB dongl running the garmin cadence and Wahoo kicker controllable trainer… Rode twice now… today at 45 miles in a group ride and no issues…

No issues with my BLE since TdZ ended.
And this was just a question - if a combination of ANT+ (powermeter) and BLE (HR) possible is or not.

Thanks, Milan

A post was merged into an existing topic: Epic “Event” Fail…Haute Route not saved: Update: Zwift is investigating