Improve FPS in Zwift with old CPU

Yes, just like you connect the ATV to the TV… :wink:

It’s very small, self-contained, simple to initially set up, and relatively intuitive to use. Those are its benefits. In terms of the actual game performance you get (and the input/connectivity limitations you have to live with), it’s objectively poor value for money for Zwift.

Horses.

For.

Courses.

2 Likes

Yes, I could certainly do that. But then I’m moving the PC (or laptop) to the pain cave for every Zwift session, and then back again afterward. I completely understand the lack of performance (it would be fun to have shadows and less ‘blocky’ terrain, for example), but the ease of use just outweighs that. At least for the moment. If I ever decide to go the PC route, though, I’ll definitely be seeking out your input.

Ah yeah, I’d always advocate a dedicated [desktop] PC rather than lumping anything around. In that respect it would just sit there instead of the ATV, ready to go and fit for purpose. As I said, virtually the same performance can easily be had for a third of the price - it’s just a 4th gen desktop CPU’s integrated graphics. At like for like cost, a little effort* gets the highest detail (instead of lowest) and 60fps a lot of the time (instead of 30fps max) at a higher resolution, along with full flexibility to use whatever you want in terms of input and connectivity, and an unlimited future upgrade path. It’s far easier and cheaper than most believe.

*or get a dweeb like me to make one.

At some point I may want a device that can take my Zwifting experience to 11 but, for now, I’ll have to settle for a device in D-minor, the saddest of all resolutions. :rofl:

3 Likes

We’re talking a dedicated PC here, just like many people are buying ATV to run Zwift (not all, but many).

My gaming PC has one shortcut on the desktop, Zwift. It has done nothing except run Zwift since I bought it. Cables never move. The SSD boots the PC in the same time the TV takes to boot, ~5-10 secs. I click the Zwift shortcut and away we go.

Obviously not everybody can afford a Smart 4K TV, a gaming PC, space for all this to be dedicated. That’s fine. But I just get annoyed that people try to pretend ATV isn’t even a compromise and try to persuade others, those that can have a dedicated setup, that ATV is optimal.

1 Like

That’s the thing though, you don’t have to go to 11 to get a massively improved experience, not even close. There are hugely diminishing returns though, and various limitations of Zwift’s design means that actually going to 11 costs a bloody fortune. :rofl:

1 Like

I’ll pipe up here.
I use AppleTV. I’m happy with it.
I would like to do a dedicated PC for Zwift. I’ve built computers from scratch before.
I happen to have a GIGABYTE 2070 full height graphics card.
What would it take (cost) to get that sucker into a PC for Zwift?
It would have to have WiFi, since my workshop doesn’t have cabled internet.

1 Like

Assuming you own nothing else, just the graphics card.

Budget: £120 + GPU
Do it justice: £300 + GPU

mine was a little over 400 due to getting a monitor, bloody monitors!

Hope you got adaptive sync to go with your 1050 Ti, it works great with Zwift.

freesync via displayport

Machine up and running just need to test it once I shift this cold

1 Like

I have the monitor (reuse from AppleTV) and mouse and keyboard (who doesn’t have extra of those laying around).
I assume I’d need a beefy power supply for the graphics card.
I looked on Dell’s website, and they had an Inspiron desktop for $450, but it only had a 260 watt power supply.

You mentioned building from scratch, that wouldn’t ever involve anything Dell. :wink:

A decent 550W PSU would be fine.

Yeah, I was just poking around.

Essentially; Haswell for budget, Alder Lake for best. An i3 is fine in either generation. Suitable H81 or H610 board respectively. 8GB of RAM, 120GB SSD, PSU and case. Add your 2070S and you’re done. For a dedicated Zwift PC this is all you need, anything else is a waste of money in one way or another.

2 Likes

Search Facebook for ZPCMR if you’re on it, lots of resources there. :+1:

1 Like

Not only can you do all that on a PC… you could do it all at once if you wanted.

1 Like

@Dave_ZPCMR New pc is running i3 12100 and existing 1050ti. Thanks for your help. Still some hickups in crowded places. How do you guys judge this zwiftanalyzer link? I don’t know what to think about the ANT+ FET Transfer Failures average of 1 per minute.

What world/route are those results from?

As for the ANT+ failures, you’re not getting full dropouts so don’t worry about them. It’s a feature of the ‘dumb’ protocol.