Group ride chat funkiness---can only see some of the messages

Development complete. It’s undergoing testing now and will ship next month. Covering all use cases turned out to be more complicated than expected. Thanks for being patient.

11 Likes

@Eric
Thanks for the work and the update! We look forward to the release!

1 Like

And fixed :wink:

Same for me as well. I can only see the leader/hosts messages and not from the rest even if they are 0 m away from me. Has it been sorted for you.

@Eric @shooj
So…um…this never got fixed. There was a final promise (after many others) of a half solution to be rolled out in July 29 but there was never a final announcement. I did a ZA group ride last week where the beacon chat didn’t appear for some until at least 20 minutes into the ride. And the half chat generally continues to be an issue…
I know there are lot of other issues but just didn’t want this one to get lost as communication during group rides is a core functionality to what makes Zwift work.

Thanks for your attention.

It’s working as designed, they fixed it, the fix just wasn’t what was being asked for… you can only see the closest 100 riders chat, plus the leader, which makes it very hard to follow and be part of the leaders conversation.

@Mike_Rowe1
Even by that definition it’s not fixed. As I said I did group ZA recovery ride last week and did not see any beacon chat for the first twenty minutes of the ride. Also have been on multiple other rides with fewer than 100 folks and still had half chat.

6 Likes

Did the SAS Ultra on Sat evening only 70 odd and whilst I think I was seeing all the beacon’s msg’s , I was clearly only seeing half of the chats going on, unless the beacon liked lol’ing with random peoples names for no reason.

With the level of brokeness that goes unanswered here, I can only hope that the dev’s are working on more than a bike.

1 Like

This is still an issue. The social aspect of Zwift is deteriorating on group rides especially. I did a ZA recovery ride last night and it was impossible to be part of the conversation going on around the ride leader. The main group sped off while I maintained my recovery zone (not sure why the leader was pushing the pace on a recovery ride either?), after they were gone I only saw random messages and whatever the leader was responding to, it was hard to follow.

Most of the ride I was all alone on the road and unable to join the conversation due to the random replies to which I never saw the other side of the story…

3 Likes

Has there been any further development/fix on this chat issue? If chat is limited to nearest riders to accommodate large groups, it would be great if this rule was removed for group rides under a certain number of riders - it is very isolating for riders who fall behind and can no longer participate in the chat.

Sorry I’m bringing this up again as it is still an issue. I did a club group ride today with only 15 people, all mixed abilities. 20 minutes in we hit the first climb and I was dropped from the front group. I rode alone most of the remaining time, about 90 minutes. All I could see was the leaders chat, they must have been having a fun conversation, telling dad jokes, etc. But I wasnt able to be part of it. This made for a really poor experience. I was already riding alone, it would’ve been nice to at least join the conversation.

I understand why this is important for large group rides like the Tour de Zwift, but in regular group rides and especially club rides it should not be proximity based.

@shooj can you please pass this up the chain, it’s been an issue for a few years now.

Thanks!