Giro d'Italia Donne 2022 previews

The 2022 Giro d’Italia Donne starts June 30 in Sardinia with a pancake-flat (but probably windy) 4.7 km prologue time trial.

Across 10 stages with different challenges to make the racing less predictable than in previous years, 24 teams will compete to wear the coveted final maglia rosa in Padova.

This year, the Giro ends three weeks before the start of the Tour de France Femme avec Zwift. With so much at stake for a historic first TdFFaz win, some riders will skip the Giro Donne, while other teams will send their general classification riders (i.e. team leaders) to Italy as a tune up for the Tour.

This week, teams started announcing their lineups for the Giro Donne.
fdj
Photo: FDJ Nouvelle-Aquitaine Futuroscope/Instagram

bikeexchange
Photo: Team Bike Exchange-Jayco/Instagram

The following cycling publications cover the women’s pro cycling scene and will likely cover which athletes will ride the Giro, and which ones will instead do training camps and reconnoiter key Tour stages.

Voxwomen has a stage by stage overview of the route profiles, and riders to watch for the overall (aka “general classification”) win.

CyclingNews’s Matilda Price goes into greater detail of which stages are suited to sprinters, climbers, and breakaway opportunists.

Amy Jones gives a bit more backstory and inside baseball at Cycling Tips for those of you who already follow women’s cycling, and looks into the crystal ball for riders likely to pass on the Giro Donne.

Race organizer Pulse Media Group does not list their global broadcast partners, but if you’re lucky to live in a country where pro cycling is televised live as a matter of course, you’ll already know where to tune in. If you don’t - the race website, Facebook and Youtube channel all hint that PMG will livestream the races themselves. Let’s hope that these sites are not geo-blocked and the streaming makes it easy to #WatchTheFemmes!

4 Likes

Some more lead-in coverage of team goals before today’s Stage 1 start

Amanda Spratt Leads Giro Donne GC Charge for BikeExachange-Jayco (CyclingNews)

Elise Chabbey to Put Climbing Strength to Test for CANYON//SRAM at the Giro Donne (CyclingNews)

SDWorx’s Shackley Hit with COVID-19 Infection on Eve of Giro d’Italia Donne (CyclingNews)

Elisa Balsamo Blog: My First Giro! I’m Confident I Will Have My Say (CyclingNews)

Marianne Vos will Race the Giro d’Italia Donne and Tour de France Femmes This Summer (Velonews)

No Giro d’Italia Donne for Demi Vollering As She Keeps a Low Profile Before Tour de France Femmes (Velonews)

Annemiek van Vleuten To Trage GC at Both Giro d’Italia Donne and Tour de France Femmes (Velonews)

3 Likes

The Giro d’Italia Donne 2022 started today. Please join us on this thread where I’ll embed the live streams for each stage.