Getting set up with Zwift on a spin bike?

Hi Guys,

I am very new to indoor training as I have finally realised that my road running days are drawing to a close. (Ankles, knees age etc etc :roll_eyes:)
In my wisdom I have decided to jump headlong into buying a spin bike and setting it up in a dedicated room with tv on the wall. Awesome I hear you say… however I then realise due to being cheap and not going full peloton that I have purchased a bike that has blue tooth 4.0 and a chest heart rate monitor but no power meter or cadence/speed sensors :weary:.
From what I have read in order to get the value out of Zwift I need a way to accurately measure speed and/or power?
I think the biggest issue with fitting the cheaper option of a speed/cadence device to the flywheel of the bike is accuracy due to the gauging of fly wheel circumference. The bike I purchased was not cheap its a Sports Tech Sx500 with a 25kg flywheel.
Can anybody please offer advice on how I can get up and going or do I need to cancel my order and start again?

Thanks in the meantime :+1:

You will probably need to invest in a power meter to use zwift with a spin bike, either a crank power meter or power pedals, this will run you about $300 - $500.

How much is the spin bike? You can get a decent smart trainer and hook up an old road bike (buy a used one if you done have) for $700 - $900 range.

Hi Mike,

Many thanks for your response to my questions. Much appreciated :+1:
I have decided to cancel my spin bike order and go for a smart trainer set up. This way things are less complicated, more accurate and versatile in terms of being able to ride both indoors when the weather isn’t particularly cycle friendly and smash it out on Zwift and then take the bike out on the road in the summer. Not sure the rest of the world is ready for me in Lycra though :person_facepalming:t2:
In your opinion would you go for a mountain bike set up over a road bike as I think I would prefer the ability to ride my bike outdoors on mixed terrain but not extreme trail either.

Thanks

Alan.

Look at what they call “gravel bikes” they are all the rage right now and blur road biking with gentle off roading

2 Likes

Another nice thing about gravel bikes is they have a more relaxed geometry compared to most road bikes. Not quite a touring frame, somewhere in-between. And some have rubber bushings in the seat post and handlebars too.