Getting a Schwinn IC4/Bowflex C6 & Power Pedals: I want accuracy

After a week or two this become natural, you will see your speed drop and you turn up the resistance. Almost like in real life you see the climb coming and you switch gears.

1 Like

Hi Mike,
I have a Schwinn IC3 and I use the Assioma Uno pedal meter on Zwift. I also have a separate cadence sensor and heart rate monitor and this has been working fine for the last 6 months or so. The only caveat I would give on the IC3 versus the IC4 in terms of the specs is that the IC3 uses felt resistance pads and the IC4 I believe is magnetic for the resistance. I have found that the pads wear pretty unevenly and require more maintenance and that the build of the IC3 bike really has to be wiped down well to prevent rust and other problems. I ride daily for an hour or two so I’m subjecting it to a decent amount of use and I think it may have been built for a more casual 30-minute ride three times a week. The good news is that the warranty replaces parts for at least a year maybe two so I’ve been able to replace the pads and the other parts without having to pay for them, though it was very hard to get through to customer service initially due to long covid era phone hold times. But once in they have been very responsive and very helpful.

Unlike the IC4, the IC3 does not have its own power meter capabilities and does not claim to be Zwift compatible, but is a more basic spin bike and thus the price point is better. So once you buy this cheaper bike, it’s easier to afford the pricey power meter pedals. And you don’t really have to worry about any compatibility of the bike with Zwift as you are really only using the power meter with Zwift and your computer. The accuracy from what I’ve been told is very good because the power meter pedals are solid. The downside is people have said is that you do have to use the old red dial to crank up resistance yourself.

Hope you find a solution that works for your family.

2 Likes

Thanks so much for the feedback! @Mike_Rowe_PBR, @Gerrie_Delport I was actually able to track down a retailer who had IC4s in stock and I’m going to pick one up! It’s better than paying the extra $100 and waiting for three weeks to get the same bike.

Are there any decent alternatives to the FAVERO Assioma UNOs? Amazon currently has them for almost $600!

They are less expensive direct from Favero, but they aren’t in stock and you will be put on a wait list it seems. So to get them now from amazon they must be increasing the price?

Oh they are for sure! Thank goodness I got the bike when I did today. In the hour drive over to the store, they sold all 5!

Update

I ordered my pedals from Chain Reaction over in the UK on Tuesday and they are set to be here by the end of business today!

Thanks @Mike_Rowe_PBR, @Lebasi_Lashley, @Gerrie_Delport for all your help!

I hope installation/setup is easy!

4 Likes

@Mike_Richards
Do you have any update on using the IC4 in combination with the pedals? Was it worth to buy the pedals just for spinning/zwift use?

The pedals work flawlessly! I’m no longer a biking legend due to inflated watts but it’s a good thing. In my opinion, the pedals were worth every penny.

1 Like

I have put a pair of assioma duo’s on my C6 since I like more accurate data. My question though is are the assioma’s more accurate then the C6 (I would think they should be). When I connect Zwift to the C6 and pedal at 60 rpm with a resistance level of 20, Zwift shows a power rating of about 100w. When I pair the assioma’s via ant+ with the same cadence and resistance level then Zwift shows only 60w. I suspect the assioma’s are more accurate since my garmin head unit also shows 60w. I didn’t test at 75 rpm’s yet which is where I normally pedal at, but it seems like my watts are pretty low. I am old and fat so maybe that’s the problem.

The Assiomas have a very good reputation for accuracy, so yes, they will be giving you an accurate power reading.

I just got a pair of Assiomas – and now I know for sure that I should be a C racer and not a B racer :slight_smile: I used to pedal at a good pace and push and average 300-330 watts with the IC4, but the pedals today told me I’m more like 200-230 watts.

1 Like

@Mike_Richards - did you get two pedals or just the left or right side? I am trying to ascertain if there is a benefit to one way or the other. I have a bowflex C6 and I am afraid my power output on Zwift is high too

@Jim_Smith3 - I read up somewhere that one could buy just the left or right pedal. Any insights into whether one should invest in a pair vs just getting one side? Thanks!

You can save $ and get one that only records the left side I think. I went ahead and got the duo. It’s a little more, but with certain apps or my yahoo bolt I can see if I’m 50/50 on each side or not. In the USA I got it from a small shop in FL - CLEVER TRAINING. I also take these pedals out on my bike to record what I do out there as well.

Thanks @Jim_Smith3 .

Using the pedals outside sounds like a good idea. I am planning to buy the pair then.

Would you know if these pedals are compatible with all bikes? I have a Trek hybrid bike for j no one, and ma planning to buy a road bike next year.

Yes all bikes over the last 30-40+? years use a standard size for taking in the pedal. Most pricey bikes sold do not come with pedals as they know customer want to use specific ones - cleat type or power meter ones etc. The pedals come with a large allen wrench to help you remove them. I tend to only hand tighten them, but you will need the wrench to remove after cycling. Follow directions on uses metal washers if needed for spacing. You dont want the pedal hubs to rub on the crank. I also put a bit of lithium grease on the treads to make it easy to put on/take off the pedals.

Thanks! This was very helpful.