Feature Request: Bring back static pace bots please

I think it partly depends on how often you use them, but yes it was supposed to.

So I am going to go privilege the answer that the home screen’s UI limitations is the technical issue, rather than “James doesn’t want to” :joy:

Dare I even ask this? … Is the home screen UI being worked on at present. Is an overhaul in the cards? I know it’s a whole 'nother can of worms, but it is clunky in so many ways. Hate to see its limitations lead to further limits in use of feature availability as seems to be doing in this case…

2 Likes

Tick Tock with the 4.6w/kg blast uphill past the LAX?

Given the Constance bot already does 315w, 4.7w is 345w.

Maybe that 30w increase doesn’t fit the meaning of dynamic pacing, or Tick Tock isn’t a flat route?

So the first rule only applied doing a free ride, and didn’t apply in any event? I thought this one was only for non-races (any group ride or free ride)?

The second rule applies in any riding instance (group ride, race, free ride, PP ride)?

How doesn’t the second rule (below 27 km/h) always override the first rule? Any thoughts as to why not remove this rule completely at any speed?

Yeah, I’ve seen mock ups for a new Pace Parrtner section in the last month.

1 Like

They would compound, when both were there. Remember that brakes can be modulated and each rule applied a certain amount of braking.

Any thoughts as to why not remove this rule completely at any speed?

Maybe It could be removed, but I think changing it to be 10km/h instead of 27 is a fair middle ground. What are the situations where you are doing less than 10km/h without pedalling and don’t want to stop? :thinking:

10km/h would work fine I think. Seen references to folks wanting to take a bathroom break while coasting down small gradient hills, and I think most should stay above 10km/h doing so

So the reason we can’t have static pace bots (in addition to dynamic bots) isn’t that Zwift don’t recognise the obvious demand for them, but that they can’t figure out how to add it to the UI? I… :person_facepalming:

No, the reason is that despite 4 months of solid testing where no-one asked for static paces, a relatively small number of people who like to make a lot of noise have come along demanding the feature despite being told repeatedly that it will not happen without UI improvements which I have already stated are ongoing.

7 Likes

I brought up all of these issues in June 2022. Every discussion since then has been a rehash of the same points, which usually boil down to “shut up and ride alone if you don’t like it”. UI improvements for pace partners would be a big help whether the static pacing returns or not, since the menu is filled with pacers I’ll never use, and the pacers I do use are not sorted to the front of the list.

1 Like

The new mock ups for Pace Partners look really nice - I believe they include the ability to add one as a favourite.

I hope that this will also pave the way to individual pace partners so you can Z2 with zero trainer difficulty to your hearts content.

2 Likes

sounds exciting!

Gotta call this out as false. More people were ok with dynamic pacing, but there were people that have consistently asked for static - myself included through the testing. Happy to go dig up my posts if you’d like.

Edit: Also during the testing I answered those questions at the end of the bot rides and said I’d prefer some bots remain static. Not saying you guys made the wrong call, but I am saying ‘no-one asked’ is false.

Edit 3: Had to find my first post after the change to pacers actually made it to Sand and Sequoias because the first rotation was on a flat course.

This was the first post after testing for a bit, but there are others:

Really for me the issue was present even before Dynamic Pacers to be honest - there were already variations on the hills, so my preference would be to have bots be even more static than they were before the dynmaic pace changes (Cadence at 64kgs was pretty dynamic for me already on hills due to w/kg as you can see from my post).

2 Likes

well… you’d very quickly come to a stop IRL if you did that too.

1 Like

That’s not true.

This thread (and others) was full of disapproval.

1 Like

Come now, that’s a bit strong. There’s a difference between being mistaken and lying. Let’s assume good intent. That thread is also full of people excited about dynamic pacing. And that’s exactly the point: both preferences exist and will continue to do so no matter what anyone says about it. There’s no way to eradicate the preferences people have for dynamic and static pacing. The solution is doing both.

It’s also really hard to separate the popularity of dynamic pacing from the popularity of more pacers at different power levels. The testing was uncontrolled from that perspective so it’s harder to gauge the results.

1 Like

This evening in the TdZ make-up stage 4, I was part of a magical experience in which Miguel (1.8 W/kg) somehow managed to pass Maria (2.2 W/kg) on a climb. Dynamic pacing and pack dynamics at their finest… :rofl:

Did you just spam the thumb button in Companion, or was that a white-circle-ride-on air-drop? :wink:

*ahem!*

On topic… I’m not sure if it was just that I was riding a different pace bot that usual, but I found it hard to stay latched to D.Bernie yesterday. Like, I was definitely whip-sawing back and forth. Miguel seemed better. Does it make sense that someone riding a bit under their usual level would have issues? (on hilly route - Bernie seemed all over the place on climbs and descents)

1 Like

White circle like a pro :sunglasses:

1 Like

On a pace partner ride yesterday Maria flew past Coco uphill in the region of Volcano.