Fat, slow, and out of shape... Where should I start?

As far as saddle soreness, two things I would suggest are getting bib shorts and get a non-cool cushy saddle for riding the trainer. I used to just ride with normal shorts but since I got bib shorts, I’m sold on them. The “suspenders” keep the shorts from moving around and irritating you. They usually cost more than regular shorts but I get some cheap ones from didoo on ebay and they’ve been great so far. And when riding outside, I ride a pretty minimalist saddle without issue. Riding indoors is different though, and you just don’t change position as much. I got a Selle Royal Respiro and, along with the bib shorts, have not been at all uncomfortable riding nothing but the trainer for a couple of months. I do have my old bike on the trainer, so I don’t have to change out saddles. That’s a consideration if you’re using the same bike for the trainer and for riding outdoors.

So… A trip to the bike shop and a sizing / fit of the bike and some bib shorts… wow… what a difference. My legs wore out before my saddle… and my shoulder blades aren’t killing me!

Down 8lbs and I held a 1.5-2 for an hour and fifteen minutes.

Progress!

6 Likes

Nice! Keep it up!

I do a yearly cycle. March - September, it’s ride every chance I get, follow the Deadpool workout and eating routine, enjoy the pain. Come October 1, I’m off. No bike, eat whatever I want, gain a little weight. January 1st, I start hanging around the bike, looking at it a little bit, do a few half-arsed rides around Watopia. February 1 I start training every other day, Zwift if cold outside, road if 60+.

So you see, I approach every year fat, slow, and out of shape. It’s amazing how fast you body will respond to eating right and exercise. 51yo.

Brian:

Welcome to cycling. Just getting on the bike you’ve taken the hardest and most significant step on your journey to fitness and happiness. Don’t be put off or discouraged. It can be bewildering, and a little intimidating at first. It sounds like you’ve made some real progress already.

Some notes:

Getting comfortable on the bike can take some time. To begin with, you need to develop your “sit bones”. The technical name for these is “ischial tuberosities”, and they are the lowest parts of your pelvis. Over time, the unique pressure you put on these bits of bone through sitting on a bike saddle will toughen them up. This process can take anywhere from a few weeks to a couple of months. Google the term if you need some more information.

You’ve made a vitally important good decision to get padded bike shorts. To help minimise chafing and other discomfort in this area there are a couple other things to do: One, make sure you always put on spotlessly clean and dried pair. (Most serious riders have several pairs that they keep in rotation.) And look into “Chamois Cream.” Indoor riding, as in Zwift, puts unique stresses on your body, and I’ve found chamois cream helps minimise chafing. Chamois cream comes in many brands, types, etc. But fundamentally it is a lubricating skin cream you apply to the parts of your body that come into contact with the saddle. You can spend a lot and get exotic specialty stuff. Or you can buy some generic body cream down at your big box store. Mileage may vary, but I haven’t found much difference between the two.

Don’t worry about being able to put in huge distances, speeds, or wattages. Concentrate now on getting comfortable on the bike. Start with 5-10-20 km rides and work up from there. I guarantee you will surprise yourself at how quickly you make progress.