Fasted training

You’re using ‘fasted’ == RCA / glycogen depleted training. I think most people here are using ‘fasted’ == didn’t have breakfast, but ate normally yesterday so muscle glycogen stores are topped off. Different things.

The research I have seen indicates no performance impact for 1-2hr workouts for I didn’t have breakfast ‘fasted’ workouts. I basically wouldn’t advise 99.99% of people do RCA / glycogen depleted training as the possible reward isn’t worth the risk.

3 Likes

That’s a great distinction to point out. When I think ‘fasted training’ I’m thinking 12-15 hours of not having taken in any calories. Insulin is low and glucagon is up. I’ve definitely stocked up the system the prior day, and no multi-day fasts for me (yet). And after doing a fasted ride I’m definitely stocking the fuel back up!

1 Like

I’m not too sure if I would define it as fasted, but I do my midweek cycling after I get up and before breakfast. I’ve found I’m fine with up to 90 minutes no matter what the workout. If it’s closer to 2 and a hard workout then I’ll try and take either an energy bar or energy drink (or both) with me or I will bonk and fail some of the later intervals.

When I get back I have a normal breakfast, usually sausage and eggs, omelette or yoghurt and granola. In the past I’ve been overweight and it took months of dieting to get the weight off. To keep it off I’ve changed my dietary habits and stay away from processed foods as much as possible and for where I am as an amateur cyclist (some would probably even argue at that description :wink:) I don’t see the need for recovery drinks/shakes etc.

@Craig_G makes a great point, as outlined I’m not fasted in the sense that I have not eaten the day before. Generally speaking I haven’t eaten for probably 10 to 12 hours at the most.

Generally speaking I am regularly able to hit my numbers and my FTP has been increasing. Although as @Chris_D9 said, I seem to struggle and it’s obviously tied in with increase in FTP I struggle with repeated efforts at vo2, one session last week was gruelling which made me think but were other factors too. So those sort of workouts might be an idea to get something beforehand but ultimately was just wondering what the general consensus was and seems if it is working for me great, I suppose key factor was post workout nutrition and how to get best bang for my buck.

Yeah this is what I do, by fasted I just mean training early in the morning before having eaten that day but had eaten properly the day before.

I’d also guess most on here aren’t running at pro cyclist levels of body fat so probably have a little more fuel to burn than they do!

never do high intensity training of any kind whilst fasted - your body will burn muscle as an energy source as nothing else is available. you will lose weight, but you will also lose power.

if ur going to do it, keep it Z2 or below if aiming for weight loss, in my personal opinion. (low intensity does not resort to muscle as a fuel source as much).

save the hard sessions for after you’ve eaten properly first (i.e. within 1-2hrs b4 training) to get the most out of them. if you haven’t eaten you won’t be able to push hard enough to make ‘epic gainz’ anyway.