Dual Power Measuring on Zwift Ride

Heeeeelllllllppppp…My wife is currenly training for the Zwift Elite racing series in September and despite being 51kg, she puts out some impressive power figures. Following a race last night, she has been provsionally DQ’d as her power output for 5 mins exceeded 5.5 W.kg. (she is a forner international runner and this is not unusual for her) following a protest from the other team. (emancipated males!!!). Obviously, she is now going through a formal verification process which is fine as everything is legit on her part… So, my question…in order to compete in the Elite Zeries she will need a seconday power measuring device…She rode a WattBike Atom until a month ago but now uses a ZWIFT RIDE… can she put a pair of Power Meter Pedals on to the ZWIFT RIDE? and if so will this be adequate to comply with the requirements of the Zwift Racing Series? Help will be apprecated.

Yeah she can put a set of power meter pedals on a zwift ride. Assiomas are a very good place to start as they are highly regarded. Get dual sided though, whichever pedals you get.

I believe how it works re racing is you record the data from the pedals on a separate head unit then upload that to the ride data file post event…? Someone more knowledgeable could confirm/correct that part…

1 Like
1 Like

Hey mate, the wattbike and the kickr core are both not on the accepted trainer list for the elite series!

List is: Justo, Justo 2, kickr 5, kickr 6, kickr bikes, kickr shift, kickr move, tacx neo 2, neo 2T, neo 3M and Neo bike

4 Likes

just to add, power meter pedals are compatible with every bit of equipment that is on the accepted trainer list so no problems there. you don’t need a dual sided power meter as your secondary either, single sided is fine

the kickr v5 is probably the cheapest thing on the list. i believe you have to race on the same unit you complete the verification on so borrowing a unit just to get verified probably won’t fly

(But doesn’t support virtual shifting so not usable with the Ride bike. V6 would be usable with the Ride.)

1 Like

Ahhhhh! Now that is a problem….you would have thought that the ZWIFT RIDE ……Zwift’s own bike would be! Might be returning one at this rate …luckily it’s still boxed and un-used. :unamused:

It would be nice if we could pair a second power source. There could be a primary or game controlling power source and the second could just be displayed to demonstrate accuracy of the first source.

2 Likes

I’ll add one other thing for dual power recording using any trainer with Virtual Shifting*

Virtual Shifting works over Bluetooth only. Your trainer’s Power, Resistance, Cadence signal AND your Click / Play / Ride controllers must all be paired via Bluetooth. If there’s an ANT+ dongle plugged in to your computer - the ANT FE-C signal broadcasts quicker, and will therefore pair to game before the Bluetooth Resistance signal has a chance to advertise itself.

You can pair your second power meter to a computer head via either ANT+ or Bluetooth. That second power source has no bearing to the virtual shifting.

*The list of trainers that support Virtual Shifting (assuming you’re on the latest firmware) are listed on this FAQ page

Just to pick up on the above. If you ignore the Ant+ signal & wait for the Bluetooth signal to establish itself (granted this takes a few seconds) wouldn’t that be ok? At present i run a Neo & have a power meter i can only pair via Ant+. The neo runs Bluetooth as do my controllers/HRM etc. If i had a Kickr 6, would I have to dump the meter to use virtual shifting even though the trainer would be paired via Bluetooth?

Sincrely appreciate that. I’m in contact with Zwift at the moment just to clarify whether or not the ride will be acceptable with the core… It would be ironic if we had ZWIFT’s own set up, yet it wasn’t eligible for use in their own Elite Racing Series… I understand it meets the accuracy criteria so it’s all a little ambiguous…

1 Like

The Kickr Core is only accurate to within 2%, so it’s not as accurate and that’s why it’s not on the list.

2 Likes

Past elite level events have been the same. The market for the Core/Ride is not the elite level riders (yet). If they were to offer a bundle with the Kickr V6 or when they sell the Ride without a trainer (supposedly this fall) that will make it possible. Right now if you really like the Ride you’d have to buy a V6 trainer to put it on, and possibly sell the Kickr Core as new to soften the blow. The V6 price was recently reduced.

I guess you could also contact Wahoo support and ask if they’d like to take back a new Core and let you pay the difference to get a V6.

1 Like

As far as I know, the ‘bundles’ are fulfilled as separately shipped cartons anyway, so isn’t it somewhat odd that there weren’t v6 bundles also offered?

1 Like

Appreciate that…thats what we’ve done!

Exactly our thoughts

Thanks everyone for all of your comments… We’ve sent the second ride back and ordered a V6!

1 Like

Hmm, so the JetBlack Victory trainer will not be allowed for some races, either, as it is listed as +/- 2% accuracy.

How about the JetBlack Smart Turn Block? Out for all/some races? Smart Turn Block - Steer on Zwift - JetBlack Cycling

The restriction to the limited list of top end trainers only applies to the elite level races. Those races also have steering disabled.

The JetBlack Smart Turn Block can be used for any race that allows steering.

Yeah what I figured. Just saw a video about the steering block. No thanks!