Cycling for weight loss

There it is, the old CICO argument. You body is much more complicated than that simple thought. How many people have been told to eat less and move more only to continue to gain weight each year, and dont say it’s because they are lazy. So many people fail at weight loss because of this over simplified theory. This is why 99% of diets fail.

Your weight is hormonally regulated. If you reduce the levels of your fat-storing hormone, insulin, you’ll likely have an easier time losing excess weight. There are plenty of studies to support this.

Here is a helpful resource: Should You Count Calories on a Low-Carb or Keto Diet? — Diet Doctor

Virta health study: Research | Virta Health

And this doesn’t even begin to scratch the surface on metabolic health. Being in an ideal state of health is much more than a number on the scale.

3 Likes

Thanks for proving two of my points: (1) pseudo-scientists are plentiful and (2) that the uninitiated focus on the “how” and ignore the “why”.

People fail at weight loss because the fad diets are unsustainable and/or unhealthy. But every single weight loss is due to calorie deficit, regardless of method. Hormones, along with genetics, is an over-used distraction from the basic science of “why” you lose weight; what you’ve just mansplained is the “how”, which is different for every individual.

Sure, exercise doesn’t work for some as it does for others; cutting down on carbs works for many but not others; hormones, insulin, genetics, gender, etc. - but you can’t change the basic laws of physics. Hormones may mean your BMR is lower or higher than others; T2 Diabetes may mean low-carb is for you; other health issues may mean that you should cut down on protein instead. But, again, you will ONLY lose weight if your energy consumption is lower than your energy expenditure.

6 Likes

Emann - I mostly focused on riding at z3 to sweet spot, 80-90% of FTP because I wanted to ride every day and not restrict my diet too much.

For 3 days a week, you could ride one session at 90% for about an hour; another longer session at z2 (the KISS Base rides are excellent for that); and a threshold workout to help you raise your FTP, e.g., 2x15 or 2x20 at 95-100%

Strength training is a great idea, as this will help increase muscle usage and raise your BMR (how many calories you burn without exercise), as well as helping in your training.

I’ll take the doctors advice, but you do you bro!

1 Like

Either you didn’t understand your doctor or you don’t understand the difference between the “why” and the “how”. Not sure how to break down further something so basic and fundamental…

1 Like

I do. Just add it’s how that works IRL. Get rid of voodoo pseudo-scientists. Amen. Your need for voodoo alimentary restrictions is inversely proportional to your determination to train.
Paolo.

1 Like

First off, Congrats on taking on this challenge! I am a professional Mtb and gravel cyclist, supported in part by Elite and am excited you are liking your suito!

Id definitely recommend something focusing around zone 2 and 3. If you are unfamiliar with zones, there are a bunch of good articles out there on google. Essentially as long as you are in these zones for a long time (lets say 1 - 1.5 hours as you have) you will burn fat.

I see a lot of people urging you to diet, which is fine, but I usually shy away from unsolicited life advice on the internet. Do what makes you happy! Honestly as a racer who knows how to cut weight, I simply reduce alcohol intake to 1 beer a week and lose lbs quickly.

Feel free to reach out via instagram! @Dillon.osleger

2 Likes

Subscribe any single word.

I’ve been something like a pro runner in the past, but now I’m 67 years old. I mostly train on a 3-2-1 weekly routine, today. Means three easy, two hard, one halfway. Or 4-2-0 if bored.

Zwift side, being a B rank, say 3D + 2B +1C. And I go to the ballroom on Saturday, that’s like to add a D for 4-2-1.

If you can’t train a day, delete easy workout, as long as your generic fit allows you to do HIIT or something like threshold or VO2max. That will rise up your BMR, as already said.

Have fun. Paolo.

3 Likes

What I’ve found is that you can’t fully achieve results without either diet or cycling. I used to cycle only and it only got me so far. A few months ago, I got onto a External link removed plan and it changed my life honestly. I’d say put major emphasis on your diet, even more then your cycling. These are the guys I used if interested.

Hi, I cannot find the KISS base rides on the zwift application…can you kindly advise under which section of workout or plan or routes can I find them please.

thanks.

Hi…thanks for your input…which plan where you following so?

Times in EST

But there are many Group rides on Zwift, find a group that you like in your time zone.

thanks for the tip

First you need to adjust your diet and exercise. With some techniques to accelerate fat burning, you will lose fat faster. I wear a men’s waist training belt when riding a bike. After the ride, my waist sweats very much. Waist is gradually decreasing, I am sure it is effective.

1 Like

I’ve just stumbled across your post and would like to chime in. I’ve tried cycling for a while to drop a couple of pounds. But it just doesn’t work for me.

Personally, I found that a combination of cycling and a healthy diet was the key to my weight loss success.In terms of workout plans, there are many options out there. I

It is hard to lose weight without some clear direction.
What has worked for me (at times) is early morning fasted workouts.
I use bigger gears (60 rpm) and aim for the blue and green on the graph.
Zwift does not have any specific ‘weight loss’ workouts. They shy away from the subject.

Working out is hungry work. I can eat more calories than any training plan can burn (I’m not doing 3 week grand tours or anything similar). When I need to lose weight, it pretty much all happens in the kitchen.

1 Like

My advice regarding Zwift to augment weight loss is to find Zwift activities you enjoy the most. Speed? Climbing? Group riding? Scheduled racing? Challenging yourself with riders around you? Whatever gets you going, do that. If you enjoy it you’ll find it helps physically, emotionally and mentally. Together with good diet, it makes a potent mix for health. Best of luck to you. Ride on!!!

1 Like

I lost 30kg’s with Zwift

But it is all about kcal deficit. a kg weightdrop is roughly 7000kcal

With my current power I’m able to burn 1000kcal within an hour. When I started I was only to burn 500kcal in an hour.

500kcal is just one hamburger.

So if you’re not adjusting your diet. Those 2/3 times a week workout is not helping that much.

You can do muscle build workouts to get a higher metabolic rest rate, but without an active lifestyle this gives you after months of training an extra 100kcal burn

The beauty of Zwift you’re able to count what you’re burning, now registrate what you use as a full. And aim for a 500 to max 1000 deficit (0,5-1kg loss week)

1 Like