Changes to Score Ranges on Zwift Owned ZRS events

Hey everyone,

I wanted to make you aware of some changes that we will be making to our scoring ranges (categories) for the 5 category Zwift Racing Score events taking place next week (Sep 16-22). This affects both selected zRacing events as well as all Crit Club events.

These will use the following score ranges:

0-180
180-350
350-520
520-690
690-1000

We are doing this because we felt that there was too high a proportion of C Pace Group racers in the lowest category (Cat 5), and too high a proportion of B Pace Group racers in the second lowest category (Cat 4).

Based on the data that we have, the above changes mitigate these concerns considerably and should feel like a fairer experience for those in those two categories. We feel that Cat 3-1 have a reasonable spectrum of riders in proportions that we would expect to see.

We will review the testing of these events next week, with the hope to move towards graduation ZRS from Zwift Labs as a live product in October. We will of course offer sufficient notice when this will be the case.

Thanks,
James

10 Likes

Something to consider, don’t have to keep dividing the pens with base 5. Try 7 pens or 8 pens.

2 Likes

Looks like you also changed score ranges on the Split events also, eg. the new LOW end. :+1:

What is really needed are dynamic pens with auto score placement. The pen you get out in is unknown and it is dependent on who is in the race.

7 Likes

Top of B goes from 650 to 690. I’m never going to make A cat at this rate. Not that anyone will be in A cat even if I did.

I haven’t been paying attention to the details of race score because I don’t really zwift much in the summer. Are there different ratings for different parcours types, or does being a good sprinter mean you’re gonna be out of your league in any hilly or mountainous race?

(Actually this is what IRL racing is like and it’s really annoying.)

it’s early days but if it turns out they’re needed then i think so. nobody wants empty races at the end of the day

1 Like

Anyone on the forum done a pen E 0-180 race yet?

Numbers in the pen look lower for the 0910 and 1210 BST Zmonthly, but so far, I’ve not seen anyone on zwiftpower with outrageous power for the weakest pen. :slightly_smiling_face:

Will be intresting to see how many legit 0-90 pen E entries there are for the 1810 and 1910 “low” Zmonthly this week.

When I looked at the 0910 (UK) event there seemed a reasonable number in there.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the 0-90.
However, I still am trying to see some logic in score movements:
The 164 RS is up, but fell inbetween a 119 and 114. The 179 RS is up, but every finisher in front of him has a lower RS. The 162 RS is up, but came behind a number of lower RS racers.

Hard to know what is going on, especially if the race has ended in the last ~12 hours and only gives provisional score changes.

Some will be just getting changes based on relative positions, while others will be getting changes due to either new 30sec/ 10min bests or previous bests going outside the 90 day window.

Are your race position score points gained comments based on the premise that your score gains are relative to who you beat as in an Elo scoring system.

I believe I have read elsewhere that ZRS is not exactly an Elo system. When it was easy to see points gained it looked at first glance to me that points gained were based on finishing high up and not who you beat.

The results you have shown us are from positions 2-11 in a 22 strong field so I would expect all those at the top to gain points.

We have also been told that there is a decay in operation. Is there a chance that someone who may have gained a score point actually is shown as losing a couple of points due to that decay over 2 or 3 weeks.

I don’t know just throwing some ideas out there.

Yeah, I guess that’s what I’m asking – isn’t it relative? The 179 RS bumped rider is about to be promoted (which is at 180) to the next cat/pen, but came behind someone who was only bumped up to a 65 RS.

Looks like if your 10m power drops off the 90 day window then score isn’t affected, mine certainly wasn’t, unless they have changed the 90 day limit

We haven’t made any changes to the 90 day limit on 10m/30s

No Changes to Zwift Score Ranges can fix this.

ZRS 476 - 78kg
10min - 356W / 4.56Wkg
30sec - 391W / 5.01Wkg
ZRS 454 - 99kg
10min - 258W / 2.61Wkg
30sec - 544W / 5.73Wkg
ZRS 480 - 84kg
10min - 318W / 3.79Wkg
30sec - 569W / 6.77Wkg
ZRS 450 - 78.6kg
10min - 273W / 3.47Wkg
30sec - 620W / 7.89Wkg

4 Likes

It would only drop your seed score/score floor.
If I understand it correctly you have a live score that can drop lower than your floor. If your live score was lower then when the floor drops your score would drop too. Otherwise it just means that your score can now drop lower from race results and/or decay.

Thanks, I’ll flag these to the team.

2 Likes

I can send you Zwift ID’s