Category D Racing Support Group

Is there a reddit subgroup or something for us amateur racers in the D group that are constantly inundated with non-D racers that apparently have small egos and won’t race in the right group. Somewhere we can all sit around and lament.

I just finished a race this morning. 104 racers finished in D - 46 of those were over 2.5 wkg (ie, NOT D racers), and 22 of them were 3.0 or higher. The top wpk was 3.9. The fastest time was 34:54 (mine was 56:14).

Obviously it’s a Zwift issue. But I also don’t understand people’s mindset. If I played in my son’s U10 t-ball league and kept hitting home runs - I’d be embarrassed for myself. I knew it wasn’t fair. When I call out the B and C’s in the D race, all will ignore me. One responded one time, “I haven’t raced in a while”. I thought that was hilarious - then how about you race in B and if you’re in the bottom - you feel bad … instead of making us real D riders feel bad (he finished with a 3.9 wpk).

Yes, I’m venting. I’m never going to be a C racer - it’s not just in me, but I like to race - it adds a different element. But it’s tough when half to a third of the group shouldn’t be higher. They’re very, very ‘small’ people …

Cheers!

5 Likes

Hi @Mark_Cheers1, welcome to the forums. I don’t know of any reddit threads, I’m not too familiar with that site, but you have a good idea.

If you have a few hours to spare, check out this thread:

2 Likes

Hi @Mark_Cheers1

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry you had that experience. We have been asking Zwift for many years to do something about people joining the wrong category.

See the link Mike posted it is just one of the many threads on the topic.

2 Likes

I Started 2 replies and realized I was just repeating the 2.4 k. comments on the other thread.

4 Likes

I noticed the same ■■■■. I raced a crit city race last week. Came in 2nd. The top 7 finishers besides me were all above the w/kg for a D racer. I would be embarrassed if I had to cheat to win a race. Also I would be embarrassed if a true D rider beat me. Just my .02 cents.

Absolutely agree, same could be said of C races, it’s very frustrating to have to compete with B racers on ego trips all the time, the sooner we go to a points ranking system where you compete with riders with similar status the better, then we should be able to gradually improve our performances by regular fair racing rather than getting blown off and depressed all the time.

C and D races are an utter shambles and have been for a very long time due to sandbaggers

ZP D cat life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what placing you are going to get. It’s always exciting to see a :trophy:after finishing 12th or 13th or something. And if I win in real time in Crit City, it makes my week!

1 Like

I don’t show results on screen for my races so they only get the sanitised results in ZP… you still can’t stop them entering but at least they can’t see a result where as a B they won a D race…

1 Like

I did a ZHR Hare and Hounds race last night, an A cat sandbagger signed up with the D cat and pulled a small group of them all the way to the finish. We never caught them (C cat), however, it was a flat course in Neokeyo and the A’s and B’s never caught us C’s either.

I have not raced in a while and have been a C Racer for quite a while in the 2.9-3.1 range for full effort races. I signed up for once of the new chase races that Auto assigns and they threw me in D since I have no race data for many months now. I decided to not race. I am probably more like 2.7-2.9 right now due to the holiday weight, but the point is that I know I am not a D and would rather not skew results. I wish more people thought like that, but it is beyond most egos apparently.

What series was that? WTRL chase races use their own algo’s to determine pen assignment which include your performance on that particular course. If its WTRL based, it works for some, and not so good for others (kept putting me in B and my stats are pretty much the same as yours. Ended up riding on my own within 1km of starts).