450+ ftp

I recall Froome shared his power data for a 40 minute HC climb at the TdeFr (Alpe de Huez??)…I think it was 440W avg for the climb at the end of a 100 mile day. I would think his FTP on fresh legs would be at least that high.

1 Like

Just for your amusement, a B cat rider in the FRR race just rode off the front, caught up the A/A+ group and went straight through them at 450W average.

What makes this a bit surprising is that up to today he has an entirely reasonable B cat history. I wonder what has gone wrong? Maybe he put his e-bike on the trainer by mistake.

1 Like

Those are the numbers im after…shame they are probably not legit!

Ex Olympic rowers (or current ones) who bike are often 80-88kg and 430w+ 20mins. It’s a very small pool of people. We have an ex-Olympic/World champs rower in our team who meets this (Neo2T), but would be hard to convince to be employed to be an athlete again

For comparison - Drew Ginn, triple Olympic gold medallist
Drew Ginn - Wikipedia
ZwiftPower - Drew Ginn (AERO Masters)

I came across this post trying to gauge what’s a good benchmark for someone 100+ kg. I’m heavy so I’m not much chop at W/kg so I’m just trying to get maximum watts.

This last Friday 22/12 I just got a PB of 403w for 20-mins on the indoor trainer. New goal is 425w for 20-mins so I can hopefully get a 400+ FTP.

I generally float from 106-110kg and am 194cm tall.

I tried to attach the Strava link but it won’t let me. My profile is Gareth @ Macktronix in Australia if anyone wants to take a look, there is a screenshot of the Intervals

TBH if you go much higher I’d suspect your equipment. As I said upthread, it’s rare for normal people to go much over 400W (aerobically). What times can you do for a flat solo time trial?

1 Like

Which trainer?

Looks like a Wahoo Kickr Bike from their strava post.

Edit: They do have IRL rides pushing big numbers, so the trainer numbers are probably not that far off.

Why is the power a pan flat line and the cadence up and down like a yo-yo? How do you drop to 0 cadence but still put out exactly 400w?

1 Like

gonna guess that is from a workout, probably using that erg mode smoothing setting wahoo has. why they have it, i dont know, but it’s erg mode only as far as i know

on that note… sorry brother. you probably did not do 400w. that setting doesn’t do anything but lie to you, so just disable it

1 Like

It “should” average out the smoothing both up and down over a longer effort though no?

1 Like

unless they’ve changed how it works, i think it pretty much just pegs your output at whatever the prescribed erg output is as long as you’re pedalling sort of hard. i don’t use erg mode for anything so dcrainmaker probably explains it a lot better than i ever could in one of his wahoo trainer reviews

I’ve seen stuff like this on group rides too by the leaders. There must be some way to define a watt target for group rides also and let the trainer maintain it?

e.g.

You could pair just as power source and then use a different app to set the resistance if you wanted.

I had a goal to hit 401w or more by the end of the year, I don’t have any 20-min hills close, and the end of the year is nearing, so that was via a full Wahoo Kickr Bike set to 403w for the 20m30s on erg, and just decided to set it and see how far I could hold on.

For those wondering about the flat interval, I just opened up the Open 40 workout (this might be where the confusion is, even though I do ride Zwift as well at times this workout screenshot was via Wahoo SYSTM) did a 10-mins warmup, then manually bumped it up and set it to 403w for 20-mins, then did a 10-min cool down.

Basically it will hold you to the power pretty well within -/+ 1w during cadence changes.

For comparison and legitimacy I just did 330 & 340w total average (365w normalised) on my outdoor bike on a completely different bike with different meters back to back weeks crit racing. These other cranks were Dual sided Stages Dura Ace power meters for 45-min races (those are different power meters to the ones above, and used as they are a recent comparison even though a different interval type). A few screengrabs below.

That 330 & 340 included 8% coasting, and during that 45 it included 20-mins at 365w, once again that during the race. That race effort included coasting and a lot of over under effors, on different power meters ^^ screenshot of that race power from different power meter below.

I can regularly do 20-mins at 380’s on bunch rides, but I just wanted to see if I could do that 403w in a controlled environment as a single focused controlled goal.

Intervals has given me a 397w eFTP +/- from a few intervals on outdoor rides, my new goal is an actual 400w FTP which is need a 420w+ interval for 20-mins to get… Hopefully I might be able to get sub 100kg as well one day which would get me 4w/kg if I could push to 400w ftp. Now that’s be the dream :pray:

2 Likes

It wouldn’t be 0, those drops would be when I’ve stood up to stretch the legs out of the saddle and the cadence went to say 40 or something, you just can’t see the bottom of that graph.

1 Like

i’ll take your word for it brother but wahoo’s crappy firmware features weren’t your decision to begin with

1 Like

I’ve never done a solo time trial, im a mountain biker at heart and only road the road bike for a bit of social time and fitness.