Zwift race category, what's the point?

I like you thoughts Mark.
“Ride On”

There ARE ways to make that work but, again, ZwiftPower becomes the arbiter, not Zwift. My opinion, and it’s only my opinion, is that Zwift’s arrangement with ZwiftPower was OK at the start but is being overwhelmed. I think both Jon Mayfield and Eric Min have acknowledged that if Zwift is to sponsor racing, it needs to regulate it more.

They just need to send the Zwiftpower guys $10M for a purchase and merge it into the ecosystem. The foundation is already built in there for better race governance. Just don’t screw up a well-built service that those guys built from scratch.

If youre registered on zwiftpower its better as these spoilers are filtered out. Also zwiftinsider suggests some changes are coming.

My thought is we need to encourage people and reward people for racing in higher categories. Get rid of the A to D and put in 1 to 10 and give people a sense of progression moving up the categories. With more divisions people should be closer in ability.

That being said I need to point out I am not as knowledgeable or experienced as many here. I am new to Zwift and having raced only one race.

2 Likes

Irrespective of the above Category issues what Zwift should be able to do is at least route all the riders in a race up the same road unlike what seems to be happening on a lot of tour de zwift stage 1 races . I suffered dropping 50 odd places as I was sent up box hill while the back of the field went through richmond park. Seeing the level of big time blocks it seems to be common issue . Even the video they produced for the classique course goes no where near the route I was sent even before that .

I am new to Zwift Riding (came from Zwift Running). I did my first Ride yesterday, the Tour de Zwift: Stage 1 Group Ride (and enjoyed it!). I only pushed 2.5 watts/kg in average and I am in good shape (but 53 yrs old). Reading your comments, I am nowhere to where I should be to compete in a D level race, correct? Another question (English is not my native language): what is meant by sandbagging?

Hi @Nick_Janssen

At 2.5w/kg you can have some good competition in D because D is up to 2.5w/kg you may even be a low C.

As for “sandbagging” that is someone that are fast enough to ride a higher category but hold back so they can have an easy win in a lower category.

2 Likes

never mind

1 Like