Zwift play drafting

we are talking about zwift soon right ? @DejanPresen :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s just a few posts up…and i think we are getting 1.50 this week.

2 Likes

@DavidP and @shooj i hope you can pass my feedback to the correct person. I have good and bad news.
The good news is that the FIX is working the rider will follow the draft of the rider not drafting…with or without Steering.

The Bad News is that this works only from middle to the right side of the lane. From middle to the left side it’s not following and you are pushed back to the middle.

Here is a short Clip

1 Like

@DejanPresen did you manage to test this in right hand side roads like Watopia? I have a feeling this is happening only on left roads like Scotland, Makuri and London :thinking:

Watopia right road side is working the same…when you are on the left side of the lane it will push you to the middle and when you are on the right it will follow the draft.

I started in Watopia but it was busy so we changed to Scotland and it behaved the same.

I tried an iTT on Tuesday and I would steer to the left of the road in Watopia I would eventually be auto-steered back to the middle.

I obviously couldn’t evaluate being directly behind in draft as it was an iTT.

Not sure the “correct” way is to auto-steer me if I’ve picked a road position, but I know that prior to the 1.5 “fix” this was the “normal”. i.e. I could steer but every corner I would have my road position changed by auto-steer.

Huh…iTTs should have steering disabled by default. Were you in an iTT where steering was enabled?!

1 Like

Here is the test from Watopia and from France

You can see i turned OFF Zwift Play and my rider still followed the Draft on the right side but not going to the left…and later when i turned Zwift Play back ON you can see how my rider is pushed from Left to the Middle of the right side Lane outside of the Draft.

1 Like

That’s pretty conclusive. Good demonstration.

WTRL Duathalon league on Wednesday allow steering

Those are not actual TTs. I think they are time-based no drafting events. Who covers more distance wins. But yeah, I think steering should be disabled in those :thinking:

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for reporting this issue! After a quick investigation we found the problem in the code and we will fix it. Thank you!

8 Likes

I believe, and I’m happy to be corrected, that the steering and subsequent shorter corners actually mean you cover less distance. In one of the duathlon rides last month, I was side by side with a rider with no steering and the counter on the rider list had them 200m ahead.

Yes, you are right, sorry :sweat_smile: I just thought the opposite of what is true.
By using steering you risk covering less distance so it’s potentially worse for you. WTRL opts to leave the decision to the riders to choose if they wish to use or not steering in those duathlon bike events.

Thanks for reporting this! This issue will be fixed in the next game release.

2 Likes

Is this fixed in 1.54? We’ve just been told (by Stewart Lalieu) in ZSUN Racing to unpair our controllers before starting the TTT events as it is still causing issues. Thanks!

The issue is Fixed for everyone with Steering ON…for everyone without Steering they will not follow the draft.

In TTT it can be a problem cause riders with steering will take shorter line in corners even if they don’t use controllers.

My experience:

I did the ZRL TTT yesterday. I was the only one on the team with the Play controllers, but allegedly steering was turned off by default by the event.

From what I could tell (with Sauce enabled to see draft %), my avatar was doing weird things. Even when I was 6th in line (at the back of the group), my avatar would sometimes just sit to the left of the group, completely outside of the draft (sauce was telling me I was getting 0% draft). This wasn’t even when I was overlapping wheels. Had I disconnected the Play controllers completely, my avatar in that scenario would have been tucked in behind the 5th rider and I would have been getting substantial draft.

PSA to all: Disconnect your Play controllers prior to TTT’s. Generally, my opinion is that the steering functionality has hurt me in races more than it’s helped.

1 Like

I’ve noticed strange behaviour with Kickr Bike when steering is enabled Avatar seems to prefer to stay away from any draft.